I need advice on a 350 vortex

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

I have a nice running 350 chevy vortex with TBI. I want to convert it to a 4bbl carb. I also want to get rid of the present ignition system as well as the cam. I understand I can get a manifold from Summit, as well as a cam and an older HEI dizzy. Will I run into any problems doing this? Being old school, I want something I can work on if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere. Thanks guys.

In 96' the bolts on the intakes changed so make sure you get the intake for your year or it wont fit the older style heads or viseversa. The older dizzys and timing covers still fit. Remember the water pumps are reversed and will have to be changed if you do away with the serpentine belt set up.

The TBI engines were never vortec (not vortex) headed from the factory. Vortec heads are 96-98 350 trucks (and some later vans, I think). Don't want you to build up an engine thinking you have heads that maybe you don't actually have-wouldn't be the first time. Also, all vortec heads have the (8) vertical intake bolts as already stated.

I ran a 99 Vortec in my 23, it was a Volvo Marine boat engine that I rebuilt. If you have 8 intake bolts and 4 nuts down the center of each valve cover, you have a Vortec. I simply bought an appropriate aluminum intake designed for the Vortec bolt pattern, and used a Unilite Distributor made for sbc, and it worked out fine. I even left the stock roller cam in it as it had a profile that was perfect for the street.

I also converted it over to V belt drive, using a short Chevy aluminum water pump and correct pulleys. When you remove your intake, if you see roller lifters, you have a Vortec.

Don

Okay, now I'm confused. I was thinking the truck was a later 80's or early 90's. I said vortec because I thought I remembered the word on the engine. I'm going out and look right now. I don't have any paper work on the truck stating what year it is.

Now the mud is much more clear. It's an 1987 Chevy 4x4. I can't see the word vortec anywhere. The manifold bolts go in at an angle like all the other older SBC's do. No serpentine belt either. Odometer shows 90k. only room for 5 digits.

Now, same question. Do I have to get a different dizzy? Is this dizzy run by a computer as it has the TBI? I hate all this new age stuff.:mad: I'm going to get a new cam and lifters anyway.

Now, same question. Do I have to get a different dizzy? Is this dizzy run by a computer as it has the TBI? I hate all this new age stuff.:mad: I'm going to get a new cam and lifters anyway.

You can run the old style carb intake and a HEI dizzy from pre 87 on that motor.
What tranny are you running and is this swap going to conflict

I would probably help it you posted a picture of your engine, then we could see what we're really talking about.

Beercan

Thanks guys. Got the engine problem solved. The tranny I'm considering using is out of another chevy truck, a 1993 1/2 ton V6, TBI, 3 speed auto with O/D. Now I know all this stuff is sort of computer controlled. I understand the O/D part of the tranny is also? The way I'm thinking is there must be a few wires going to the tranny to electrically kick in the O/D, or is it vacume operated? If this is the case, why can't I just put in a switch of some sort and operate it manually. Something like on a Dodge truck with the push button O/D switch in the dash. I'm not looking for power or speed here, just something sort of economical and reliable.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with my forgetfulness. I appreciate all the help. Now for the trans questions, I'll start a new thread in the trans forum topic.

Yeah, that is just a power switch to engage your lock up. It may have been controlled by the cpu and if you are going carb, you will be doing away with. Nothing too crazy, basically just a switch to send a signal to the trans. Oh, and I think a pressure switch as well if I remember right. It has been a while since I converted mine with the 700r4

Latest posts

Back