Ian in Canada

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsair

Time to introduce myself. The name's Ian from Winnipeg, Canada. I've got a 1950 Ford F47, which is basically the Canadian version of the F1. I've been looking at some of the threads on this forum for a week or two - seems like a great site - some very skilled folks.

Here is a pic of my truck - I paid $100 for it a number of years ago - it was a buddy's truck for years - he drove it to school through the 80's, and then put it out to pasture. She's a beauty, eh.

50F47infield.jpg

The build threads on this site are as good as it gets!

Looking forward to being a member here. I've got a bunch of questions, but am trying to find most of the answers in previous posts.

Best,
Ian

Welcome to the site Ian there is a lot of good info on those trucks on here, and knowledge of how to. Looks like a prretty good start good luck.

Welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum. Nice truck but *what* is that white stuf on the ground!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Welcome aboard,

Hey Ian, tell Tripper its Marshmallow that you put down for the photo shoot. LMAO ......You don't have any of that stuff already do you?:confused:

George

Welcome to RRR, Ian. Nice looking start for just $100. Lots of those trucks built here. Should have plenty of ideas to steal,,,,OK,borrow:D

Thanks for the kind words.

Those pics were taken in the early winter of 2000 or so, so yes we had some of the white stuff! Nothing yet this year...yet. But its coming. :D

So... I'll spring my first question. The original flatty V8 was left to the elements, as you can see, and it filled up with precip and the block cracked, etc. It was done. So my drivetrain of choice is an Olds 455 with thm 400 from a '70 donor Olds Delta 88. I also had an Olds 425 (which is also a nice engine - those all had forged cranks, and 7" con rods), but went with this. Oh, and I used the Olds 10 -bolt open diff as well.

To shoehorn this engine in properly (its already in), I need to tuck in the alternator a bit to get some clearance. I thought about finding an Olds jetboat bracket somewhere, but no luck so far. :confused: Perhaps they can still be found new? Usually in an Olds powered jet boat the alt sits down low on the drivers side.

I've noticed that a lot of stock BB and SB Olds brackets can be mixed and matched.

Barring a stock bracket solution, has anyone seen a fabbed up high-mount alt bracket for the passenger side for an Olds? Second gen Olds ('66 - late 80's) is what I'm talking about - unfortunately I think the earlier 303, 372, 394 series motors are different.

Thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
Thanks again.

A buddy and I worked out something with a stock '82 toronado steel AC bracket for the passenger side, together with an Alan Grove chevy piece. We will cut em up and tack em together... will get a few pics when we get her done.

Welcome from a fellow Canadian. Looks like an excellent starting point. I've got a soft spot for these trucks myslef as I'm aslo building one. I also had a buddy in high school back in the 80's that drove a 48 as his daily driver. Still had the original 8BA flattie in it too.

Rodguy,

Woah.... awesome truck there old son!! Nice and low, love that deck lid -- fantastic!

What part of Canada are you from? How are the cops in your province about fenders??

Here they enforce the regs, and they are pretty tough, fenders are required. I pulled my front clip off to do some work on the steering, and left the hood.... man, it looked pretty mean! :)

Gives me some ideas about future work. Hmmm....I'd need to find a nice tractor grill, and some headlights, work out an idea for fenders.

welcome to the RRR, corsair-from another f-1 builder....there's alot of potential with these old trucks with or w/o fenders.....keep us posted-maybe give us a build thread to look at....

since roddguy dropped a couple to look at of his-i'm gonna do the same!:D
btw mine is 403 olds powered from a 79 trans am:eek:

Attachments

• rat rod update 002.JPG
    rat rod update 002.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
  • rat rod update 007.JPG
    rat rod update 007.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 7
  • rat rod update 003.JPG
    rat rod update 003.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 7
HR Preacher...

Olds power for an F1 -> is pretty cool! I know now that this is a good place. :D

Are you still running the stock 4A heads on that pup? I have a 403 in the garage waiting for a set of BBO "B" heads off a '66 Toro - the big valves and exhaust ports work wonders for the 403.

as far as i know the motor is all stock-i haven't been into it, and neither had the guy i got it from... i got the motor/trans for helping put a 350 chevy in his trans am, about all i know is that it was running/shifting out decent --hafta confess this is my first olds powerplant, though when younger i tried to trade my uncle out of a 73 olds 88 that was 455 powered (he wouldn't sell it to me b/c he knew i was wanting to build a hotrod and was afraid he'd be starting family trouble :eek::rolleyes:)

would like to learn a few "tricks" to make it run better, so we'll be in touch

HRP

Hey Corsair, I'm in Kitchener, Ontario. Home of the best Octoberfest ever. ;)
Ontario law actually states that it is permisable to run with out fenders in good weather conditions. Just don't be caught out in the rain. Seems most cops are good with it anyways as they know most of these cars really aren't daily drivers anyway. Around here there more focused on burning the ricer guys. Easy pray. :D I hear it all the time from the young guys around here.

However I do plan to run some cycle fenders at least on the front for personal safety reasons.

I really can't tell by your pics how good your fenders are, but I've added a pic of how I'd like to do another F1 in the future. Perhaps it could be some food for thought for you as well. My cab is actually designed after this rendering and I plan to pull a fiberglass mould off of it once it's ready. Then do the S10 frame thing. We have a guy here in Owensound that makes really nice fiberglass fenders and other parts for these trucks (MacMillans) There is also a guy in Arthur that makes excellent repro boxes for these trucks. www.pros-pick.com

If you'd like to check out my build here is a link to my build thread. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392

Have fun with your truck and keep us posted. ;)

Attachments

• f1c.jpg
    f1c.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back