Ian in Canada

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodguy1 - Sounds about right, we need a fair weather (fender) rule for Manitoba. For now I've got all steel, original fenders on the truck, which I've patched together (like quilting only different).

I really like the adaptation of the stock straight axle and transverse spring on your truck, your build section is pretty detailed and eventually I want to do this conversion. I was going to ask anyway, but it was all there!

HR Preacher - The nice thing about Olds stuff is that all the BB heads will pretty much bolt up to the SB blocks, with a few relatively easy changes.... thus you can avoid the smogger designed heads that virtually all the small block Olds run (except the earlier stuff). Any 403 SBO (1977 - up) will get a good kick in the pants from a set of BBO heads (1966 - 1972 - B, C, E, and G heads), even if the latter are unmodified. Because of the large piston size of the 403 and its short stroke, its an oversquare engine and makes a pretty nice hot rod mill, long as you don't wind it too high. The stock comb chamber volume on the 403 4A head is really close to that of most BBO heads, so you don't need to worry about compression changes and timing - unless you want to bump it up.

Second - I found an alternator mount solution from the Olds jet boat guys if you want to hang that sucker down low on the 403, get it out of the way. The only caveat is that its easiest combined with the stock manual steering box/drag link set up on the stock F1 frame. Check out the brackets for the alternator on this jet boat olds mill, its the dog's plums:

403pull1.jpg

Sniper - Thanks, lots of canucks around here by the looks of it.

P.S. - Once I figure out my own functioning low-mount solution for alternator brackets on Olds SB and BB, I'll post it on the tips site, with measurements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back