I'm gonna build an altered.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first wife had no sense of humor.....

See now, you appreciate a nice thoughtful and useful gift.

Why didn't my first wife appreciate the mag wheels for her 66 Nova? Go figure...:confused:

Burned all my stuff in the driveway....37 years ago....but I've gotten over it....NOT!! :eek:

Boy, am I BORED ! I am at a total standstill until the rear end assembly comes. My Wilwood hubs did arrive and I installed the 10 three inch long studs in them, but that took all of 15 minutes, now I have nothing to do ! :( I even cleaned the house today , so at least that is out of the way.

I guess I could finish fiberglassing the plywood firewall in place, I am off Saturday so maybe that will keep me out of trouble.

Don

My memory is short, but have you worked out the gauges? Steering column? Seats? Pedals? All stuff that might keep you distracted until you can get back on the frame. If you have figured them out, you could post them again. Most of us wouldn't know that you posted it before.

No, I have only given those things you mentioned a little thought so far. Until I get this thing up on wheels I really won't be able to see how far back I can sit, how much I have to cut the body, etc. The frame being done is really key to the next steps. I can't even finish up the front crossmember until I get the whole frame on the frame table.

Don

I have the same boredom problem, but here it's weather related. I have all those things figured out. I might go buy some seat belts tomorrow, that's all I can think of.

Boredom Fix

The weather has slowed me down lately. I keep a couple of smaller projects in the wings to fill time. one is a 76 harley ironhead, the other is 350 sbc that needs some assembly, works for me. good luck both of you bored boys. [P

I've been sending Autoweld emails with the specs on how I need the rear end housing and 4 bar setup built, and today I kinda finalized it all with them on the phone.

This has been one of the most complex builds I have done because I am not doing the welding on the housing ourselves, but are having Autoweld do it all at their place. The reason for that is because they will put it on their precision jig after it is welded up and true the housing. But, it means I have to spell out exactly where I want the four bar brackets, the coil over brackets, and the wheelie bar brackets, and that is hard to figure out on paper.......I am better at laying under the car and figuring out where stuff should go.

But, I think we have it pretty much calculated now, and they can start building the rear now. Can't wait to get it because I can't do another thing until it shows up and I can slide it under the body.

Don

Things have kinda changed on my plans for my rear housing assembly. The people I was going to get it from have been dragging their feet on getting it done, so today I told them enough is enough. They can't seem to get to the stage of welding on all the brackets and cutting the rear housing. So what we came up with is that they are going to ship me the bare housing, and my Son will weld on all the brackets, then send it back to them for final truing.

This actually makes me happy, because now I have been able to order my four bar setup from Ron Pope, as I planned on doing originally (until I got that gift purchase from my Sons at Christmas). Ron did me so good on the front end stuff that I wanted to do as much business with him as possible, and now I am able to do that. [cl

So, the plan is, I should have my housing in about two weeks, Ron is making up my four bar setup, and when I get the two of them we can custom install the four bar to the housing and then get the back half of the frame finally built to fit that setup. Then I will send my rear end back to have the big Ford ends welded on and the housing assembly trued .

This rear end has been an ordeal. :( You would think that something like this should be so simple but it sure hasn't worked out that way. But maybe we are back on track now.

Don

You never know whats going to throw a monkey wrench into the works Don.:eek:
I know that you really wanted Ron to do the 4 bar setup so now you can. Just going to take a little longer.
[P[P[P
Torchie.

You are right, Torchie. I'm so happy to be able to do business with Ron again. :)

Ron and I just had a good laugh together. He called me back and said "This is Ron and I have that quote for you." I thought he was the guy from the first company, also named Ron, so I said "Ron, I have decided to go another direction, I can't wait any longer for you to do that rear end."

There was a pause on the phone and he said "But I just talked to you five minutes ago and you said to make you the parts !!" Then he identified himself as Ron Pope, and I had to explain I thought he was the OTHER RON !

We both had a good laugh, and now all of my parts are on order and should be here in the next couple of weeks ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D I told Ron I owe him a beer for scaring him that way ! :D:D

Don

Hey Ron! Can you please expedite Don's order so we can get back to watching him build this race car. [P

Please....

Pretty please....

Come on, Ron. Don need his rear end fixed.

:D

Yeah Ron, it's been a whole day ! What's taking so long ? :D

That's one thing about Ron, he doesn't mess around. When he says it will ship it ships. Wish everyone was like him.

Don

I've had excellent service from both Currie and Moser. (in response to your post on another site.) I particularily like Currie because Frank, the founder, is (was?) a true hot rodder.

BTW, I'm glad you are not using that Pro Mod style rear end in your nostalgia style Altered.

Me too, Bob, it was really overkill. It also would have complicated things back there because of the limited space these Bantams have anyway.

I asked Currie if I needed the rear brace and they said no, especially since my rear end is only 38 inches wide. This new rear end should clean things up quite a bit behind the axle, and it will be easier for me to mount my wheelie bars.........and the rear view will look more traditional.

Chris at Currie was SUPER helpful and professional. I was glad to do business with them.

Don

Here are a couple of (bad) pictures of the Bantam I had back in '95. The car was wrecked when the steering wheel came off at 145 mph - the reason I will NOT have a quick detach wheel in my cars now.

Attachments

• 483435_10200889968836522_2088874057_n.jpg
    483435_10200889968836522_2088874057_n.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 644206_10200889969036527_2143817092_n.jpg
    644206_10200889969036527_2143817092_n.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 31
Cool car and scarey story ! :eek: That had to be one of those "OH **** !" moments. What made it come loose ?

I saw that one episode of Pinks where the guys steering wheel came off as he was making a pass. My 23 had a removable wheel and I always kept checking it to make sure it was on tight.

Don

Latest posts

Back