I'm gonna build an altered.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never really knew why it came off Don. It had been checked at "strap in" time with the "tug test" but for some reason it released and came off right at the stripe. What made matters worse is that my crew chief was driving the car for the last pass in his NHRA competition licensing. Car ran a 9.04 @ 145 on that pass as I recall. Anyway, he went on to drive an Alcohol Funny Car - won the National at Brainerd last year.

Yeah Ron, it's been a whole day ! What's taking so long ? :D

That's one thing about Ron, he doesn't mess around. When he says it will ship it ships. Wish everyone was like him.

Don

Check your email and text. I got the 4 link brackets cut yesterday, just waiting for few parts to come in and you'll be ready to go.

Never really knew why it came off Don. It had been checked at "strap in" time with the "tug test" but for some reason it released and came off right at the stripe. What made matters worse is that my crew chief was driving the car for the last pass in his NHRA competition licensing. Car ran a 9.04 @ 145 on that pass as I recall. Anyway, he went on to drive an Alcohol Funny Car - won the National at Brainerd last year.
Now you got me wondering about the $5 Wilwood quick disconnect adapter I got at the swap meet a couple months ago. :confused:

Check your email and text. I got the 4 link brackets cut yesterday, just waiting for few parts to come in and you'll be ready to go.

Yep, got your email, Ron........parts look good. [cl I talked to Currie, my housing is almost done, so when I get your parts and theirs I can get back on it.

But until the parts arrive I am catching up on all the happenings on "The bold and the beautiful". :eek::eek::D

Here are the parts Ron did that he sent me a picture of:

Don

Lots of room for adjustment there. Should be able to dial in the suspension quite well and be able to handle lots more power than you're planning on giving it. Looking forward to seeing more progress once your parts arrive.

Yep, I can't wait to get them here. Ron made both brackets as I described them and the only one I "might" have to change is that straight up and down one for the frame end. I had him do it that way because I think my frame rails will kick straight up at the mounting spot and I figured this would be the way the mount should look. But my Son, who knows more about this modern 4 bar theory than me, says the holes need to be arced instead of straight in line.

I've never done a race rear suspension, so I don't know, but it won't be a big deal to go back to Ron and have him cut 4 more plates for the front mount, if that is what we end up needing.

Don

Don many of the of the brackets do have the mounting holes on the front mount in an arc. This way you can change the mount location without having to adjust the bar length each time. This will allow you to change the instant center for varying track conditions quickly. You can use them in a straight line but will have to adjust bar length if you move them. [P

Great, Ron, looking forward to getting it. Now, if I could only get Currie to ship my housing ! :( Never knew it was so hard to get a company to make a simple rear end.

Don many of the of the brackets do have the mounting holes on the front mount in an arc. This way you can change the mount location without having to adjust the bar length each time. This will allow you to change the instant center for varying track conditions quickly. You can use them in a straight line but will have to adjust bar length if you move them. [P

That is what my Son is telling me too. I had to start somewhere, so that is why I had Ron do the frame bracket straight like that, but once I start mocking things up I can have him remake those brackets, if need be.

Don

Like this? I learn something every time I get on this site. :D

Attachments

• PB230056.jpg
    PB230056.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51

I may have Ron recut me 4 more brackets like the ones on the right side of that picture. The arc on that set is about right, and I can still butt it up against my frame rails. But, like I said, I had to start somewhere and will fine tune it as I go along. I can make a cardboard template and send it to him to make.

Don

You can always use the straight ones for seat mounts, cut them up for shock mounts, seat belt tabs etc

the straight front bracket will work just fine.

the bottom bar sets the wheelbase and should be parallel to the ground,
or slightly up hill to the front.

the top bars control the anti-squat in the lay out you have (down hill to the front)

the 3 holes at the rear of the upper will allow changes to be made with only a small change in length to the upper bar.

although the plates with the curved lay-out will allow faster changes in anti-squat, but you should not need to change these once you have it dialed in.

That was my original thinking, that once I get it dialed in I will never touch it again. I am not a "dial in" kind of guy, once I set something up and it works I pretty much leave it alone. I do not see myself laying under the car at the track fine tuning the suspension.

As I mentioned, I am not looking to break any records with the car, just to make the occasional pass and have some fun. So, the mounts might be fine as is. I'll know better once I start mocking things up under there.

Don

Today the rear suspension arrived from Ron Pope and they look better than I could have hoped for. :D Of course, I had to call him to find out how to put the springs on the coil overs :)o) but he got me through it. Nice job Ron, thanks.

My 9 inch rear is also on the way from Currie and will be here Tuesday, so we can finally start mocking up the rear suspension and finish off the frame.

Here are the parts I got from Ron today. He included every bolt, nut, and spacer I need to put this all together.

Don

Nice kit. We'll all be happy when Currie finally sends you that rear end. Lookin' forward to seeing some actual work.

I have heard you're not the only one that gets to wait a while for them to ship.

Latest posts

Back