International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in kind of a foul mood this morning and apologize for my "tone". I am in a similar situation however my train of thought is fixing up my '53 R130 original (except brakes) and hot rodding my '53 R160, slamming it onto an Exploder frame for the 4X4 and chopping the roof. One of the two will be built for a daily driver most certainly as I am dead set against newer vehicles ( I find working on modern cars and trucks nowadays distasteful).

I was in kind of a foul mood this morning and apologize for my "tone". I am in a similar situation however my train of thought is fixing up my '53 R130 original (except brakes) and hot rodding my '53 R160, slamming it onto an Exploder frame for the 4X4 and chopping the roof. One of the two will be built for a daily driver most certainly as I am dead set against newer vehicles ( I find working on modern cars and trucks nowadays distasteful).

I wish I could have more then one, but I'm not quite at that point yet. I'd love to have a nicely built and clean rod for the family and the rat for me.
One of these days ill get there.

I appreciate your response and I'm glad mine didn't make it worse :)
We all have bad days now and then.

I will add that if mine came in better condition, I might have rethought the plan. But the engine had the head removed, the block was solid rust, all brakes were rusted solid, and it had been used and abused as a farm truck for most it's life from what the dirt tells me.
The body seemed to be in great shape and really liked the look of it. This truck might not have been my first choice if I had many to choose, but I love it none the less.

Well I figured I better post an update on this thing. Not much progress has been made, but the motivation I had lost ended up in someone else's engine across town sitting on an engine stand.
I have no idea how it got there, but I bought it back for $900.
The motivation I'm speaking of is a Olds 350. Guys had started building it up fresh out of high school and never finished it. He has all the machine work done, and has it completed to a long block. Edelbrock performer RPM intake and aluminum heads with much larger then factory valves.
His receipts show he has $5500 in it so far, which I believe is a bit much for what it is, but things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. In this case, all this work adds up to under a grand.
Heads alone are worth at least that much.
So I've got a solid long block with documentation of all the parts in it except the cam.
Last night, I pulled the timing cover off and yanked the cam out to try to identify it. No luck. So a new cam with known specs are in order.
I have a few leads on a cam, one from CompCams, another, an edelbrock performer RPM cam, just so parts match up and work together.
Last night flipping through the web to get some good literature on olds motors, I cam across a video from Powerblock where they built up this same motor. They used the same block (even the same casting number), heads and intake, just different pistons and came up with 380 hp and just over 400 ft/lbs on the build.
I think I might lean towards swapping the dish pistons I have (my current setup is only making 8.3:1 compression) and utilizing the same cam and pistons. Used in the Powerblock build. At least I've seen their combination work successfully.
photo-1461.jpg

photo-1044.jpg

photo-1633.jpg

photo-388.jpg

photo-2237.jpg

photo-1069.jpg

photo-1144.jpg

Here's a link to the Powerblock episode:
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/HP2012-13/an-old-olds-repurposed-for-new-power

They way I see it, I've for another $3k to put into this motor to wrap it up. And now that I'm looking at a pretty solid street performer, now I might as well build up a 700r4 trans to handle the power and gain the overdrive gear for better highway performance.

So, two steps backwards, one step forwards.

Ah yes, I also need to share my other addition. This one is not a garage toy, worth MUCH more then anything I've got in the garage.

Brooke Rozlyn, born Feb 9th at 5:00 am!

photo-627.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely priceless right there. :cool: Cherish this time it goes by quickly........my baby girl turns 29 in June :( They did however provide us with a wonderful Grandson five months ago. :D
Congrats to you and Momma!

Congrats CJ. Beautiful little girl there. Takes me back to when my sons were that small! Now my oldest, who is 14 and a freshman in HS, stands shoulder to shoulder with me. I'm 6'3" and I have to make sure I stand up straight so he doesn't think he's taller than me! lol Again, congrats. Look forward to seeing more progress on the truck.

Okay folks. With the olds rocket going in the truck, the boring sbc tubular crossmember mount won't work. Well I'm sure it would, but a new route sounds more fun :)
SO, I wanted to use a hurst style front mount, but apparently those are about as hard to find as......um.....something that's really hard to find.
So here's my concept:
IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

photo-1092.jpg

photo-904.jpg

So this fancy bracket thing will bolt to the front utilizing the timing cover bracket. 4 bolts into the block.
Each side will sit on 3" rubber biscuits on the top of the crossmember, have a through bolt through the crossmember and sandwich another biscuit below.
I have a bunch of 3/16" plate, but do you think I should build it off of 1/4" instead?

Last edited:
I think 1/4" will do fine. I might add an angle brace from the flat bottom next to the biscut up to the upright back piece that bolts to the block. [P

Latest posts

Back