Is anything USA made anymore

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
I just bought a few things from Summit Racing. Wheel cylinders for s10 came in boxes with the same part #, got 2 different cylinders and the clip that holds the correct one on wouldn't lock down--made in china. Raybestos brake shoes--made in china. Hardware kit, springs etc.--made in china.
Went to NAPA and got more wheel cylinders--made in china. Got 2 rear axle seals--made in mexico. 10 lug nuts, box said see product for country of origon, don't know where they came from.
Seems like everything i get from Speedway is made in china.

Isn't anything made in the good old USA anymore?:mad:

[cl[cl[cl[/QUOTE

U-N-E-M-P-L-O-Y-M-E-N-T ----Made in the U.S.A. That' like when my wife and I go shopping, if we pick up something to buy because it's "cute", the first thing I do is look at the tag. Without a doubt, if it says Made in Vietnam, we most definitely do not buy it (for various reasons). For example, when 9/11 hit, we had planned to go to Colorado. Instead, we drove from our home in St.Louis County, MO to Branson,MO. Went to Silver Dollar City. One of the shops, I think it was called the Great American Store that sold AMERICAN flags, hats, shirts, etc was a mockery. Almost everything was made in Pakistan. I approached the manager and asked why. She said because the prices were good. Obviously, we didn't purchase a thing.

I'm in the auto industry, metal stampings, and we are still making tons of parts for all the auto companies...

Anyhow, manufacturing is about the only thing trying to lift this economy... I could go on forever on this topic, but I'll spare you all the boredom...

Oh come on......tell us how you really feel...

Because if you don't, Torchman will get on and hijack this thread.....:eek: then we'll all be moving to some foreign country to avoid the unavoidable myriad of intelligent but somewhat long rendition of why the state of the union is in the state that it's in..... Please DR.....don't let that happen...please......... (kidding Tman....) :D

I'm in the auto industry, metal stampings, and we are still making tons of parts for all the auto companies...

Anyhow, manufacturing is about the only thing trying to lift this economy... I could go on forever on this topic, but I'll spare you all the boredom...

I agree with you. I started in the car business, upon coming home from overseas, in 1969. Worked until 2002 when I finally said I had enough.I also did a stint in between there as a Snap-On dealer for 3 years. Remember them? They were the company that made some of the best tools right her in Wisconsin, U.S.A. Retired (1st time) and in 2004 got a job offer from Reynolds and Reynolds (computer company)to go to work for them as a software trainer, training car dealership service department personnel how to use the system. Did that until 2008 and finally R-E-T-I-R-E-D. But I agree, it is the middle class, blue collar worker like you and I that need and will turn our nation around.

There's lots of stuff still made in the USA, but it costs a lot. Guitars, amps and related things have plenty of goods still made in the USA for example. General consumer stuff though is usually outsourced to keep cost down because we don't want to/can't afford to pay for anything. I'd someday like to see a federal mandate stating that if you own a manufacturing facility of any kind or size, it should be located and staffed from within the country.

in 2004 got a job offer from Reynolds and Reynolds (computer company)to go to work for them as a software trainer, training car dealership service department personnel how to use the system. Did that until 2008 QUOTE]

Thats interesting. Ever come to NH? a couple of dealers I worked at ran Renolds systems and some people had come to train some of us...

And you are right TI. The same vehicle built here costs a total of $77/hr to make with beifits and such. In Japan it costs $44/hr to make. I shudder to think what it is in other SE Asian nations

Never did any training on the East Coast. Most of my time was in California,Arizona,Colorado and the Mid-West. Got tired of living out of a suitcase. One year alone, I spent 159 nights just at Holiday Inns, not counting the other hotels I stayed at.

I'm in Aerospace manufacturing (non union) and happy to say that most of it is still built here..The exeption is the new 787 Dreamliner,its assembled here but with subassemblies made all over the globe..Mostly Germany and Japan..

I remember looking at new flags at Walmart sometime after 9/11 but they were all made in China..very upsetting at the time..I've noticed now that all their flags boldly say Made in USA..

I work for one of the large auto parts chain stores and can honestly tell you that there are alot of
parts still made in the USA. Problem is that 95% of customers want the cheaper parts & don't care where they are made. Only interested in price. USA made parts are 2-3 times higher than the overseas parts. Was told once that if everyone in the US would buy nothing but made in USA products for just one month that we would cut the China bill in half.

I work in a tier 1 manufacturing facility Just outside Chicago, we supply parts to companies all over the world

The problem as I see it, is a lot of people just want to buy the cheapest thing possible, I recently needed to buy a new bag to use for a trip I am going on. Yeah I could have gone to Target or whatever and bought a bag for 30 dollars that was made in china, but I opted for the bag sewn in the good ol USA (California) and it even has a life time guarantee, yeah it cost me more but the fact that it was supporting US manufacturing and a US company it didn't bother me. The mindset of buy the cheap one and replace it when it breaks in a year or two is the problem, instead of buying quality the first time around...

On one last note when I went to NAPA to get new replacement motor mounts for my small block Chevy, they had two versions in stock.

1 version made in China
1 version made in India...

The Chinese version believe it or not was miles better quality wise.. go figure..

Last edited:
Sure theres stuff made here but its tough justifying spending extra money on a part when youve got bills to pay and kids to support.
We have nice homes, cars, boats and old cars we spend extra money on top of everything else. Most people in other countries are probably just working to stay alive. Greed got us here more than anything else and Im as guilty as anybody else.

Latest posts

Back