Is this truck too far gone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam f

Hey guys. I'm new here, and to the ratrod/hotrod scene. I'm used to building 4x4 trucks. I've never done any type of restoration, but I am anxious to learn. I have plenty of tools and time to get the job done. Very limited budget though.

I found a 1952 Ford truck. Its a complete truck, including title. Its been sitting for 25 years in SW Ohio.

It has a flathead V8, turns over by hand which means its not froze. Looks like a 3 on the tree.

Frame "looks" ok, but who knows.

All the interior appears to be there and in OK condition. Gauges look good. The compartments and stuff open and close. Doors open and close. Pedals, steering wheel, and all that look intact. Door glass is cracked but the rest is OK. Bench seat is ratty, but looks to be intact so I could refurb it.

Most of the bed looks like its there too, most importantly the tailgate.

The part that worries me is the cab itself. The rockers look to be rotted out, as well as the floor pan. Body mounts might be shot too.

I just want to know from someone who has been there before. After seeing the pictures, do you think this truck is too far gone? I'd be doing all the work myself, trying to spend as LITTLE as possible, if that means using stop signs as a floor pan then so be it. My final goal is a driveable ratrod/hotrod. I'm going to chop a couple inches out of the roof, maybe keep the hood but ditch the fenders and probably the front bumper. I'd like to possibly keep the flathead if its not going to cost me too much to get her running. If not, I'll throw in an SBC.

Ok, here are the pics. Let me know what you think. Is this cab done for? Hope not! I'm willing to put in a lot of hard work, but I just don't have a lot of money. I'm big into using what I have, and this truck looks like it has most everything together. I even got the wife onboard to help me! She'll be in charge of the interior.

Oh, and the guy is asking $1200. Id like to get it for $900-$1000.

20100114150321small.jpg

20100114145659small.jpg

20100114145550small.jpg

20100114145514small.jpg

20100114145503small.jpg

I've never done any type of restoration, but I am anxious to learn.

Restoration?!? we don't need no stinkin' restortion!!! :D:D:D

If u're gonna build a ratty rod... that is perfect fodder & $500 with a title isn't bad. I'd probably try to sell off some of the parts... like that flattie unless u're gonna rebuild it etc.

BoB

To far gone? Theres no such thing. The real question is do you have the skills?

If i were you that truck would be in my driveway by now.

You guys out in the desert are spoiled, wait till you see what New York rust is.

Attachments

• 100_1259.jpg
    100_1259.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1284.jpg
    100_1284.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1285.jpg
    100_1285.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 44
Yea, I love the interior too.

I diddnt mean restoration as in show truck resto, but rather roadworthy resto. I dont want to fall through the floor and onto the road as I'm driving!

I will learn the skill. I have tools (I'm a mechanic) and a good ability to learn. I built my 88 4Runner, I put in a 350 SBC, straight axle, custom suspension, big tires, so I know my way around a truck.

I guess I'll go for it.

The wife is going to be surprised on how rusty it is! She doesnt really understand the whole "rat rod" concept. She asked me if it will have air conditioning! :)

I'm going to call and offer the guy $500. I'll let you know what he says.

As soon as I hit 40 my eyes started going. I still don't have glasses, but that looks like a Dana 60. Trucks got a lotta character, if you like it do it up!

Anyone else think it looks like a Dalmatian? 500$ sounds good. How much besides the cab are you planning to keep? I'm guessing the guy is gonna want at least 8-900$ for it. Tailgate and grill look good. I'd like to see somebody make a F1 open wheel rat and keep that toothy grill and light assembly.

The guy would only go down to $1000. I told him I'll take it.

My only problem is I wont have the money until next week, probably Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. He said there is some kid coming to look at it. He told me if I came over and gave him a little money he would hold it. Problem is, mortgage is due so I'm flat broke this week. Man. I need a few hundred bucks, NOW. HELLO CHECK INTO CASH!

I just have to figure out a way to get it home. My buddy has a car trailer, guess I'll tow it with my 4Runner.

He said there is some kid coming to look at it. He told me if I came over and gave him a little money he would hold it.

Man that is a classic line of BS! My gut says this guy knows you have never had an older vehicle and is taking advantage of you. There are WAY better vehicles than that in SW Ohio. Take your time and look around. If it sells, then so be it. Like I said it's really not worth that kind of money, so let someone else be the sucker. Save yours and find something better to start with. F-1's are not hard to find, and considering what you are wanting to build you would not want most of what is there anyways. Pass on this one...

Ive looked at a several hundred mile radius on craigslist and ebay and there is nothing better, at this price, that is this complete. Ive seen CABS for $500-$800 that have NOTHING. Then I would have to piece together or fab a seat, steering, pedals, dash, all that stuff.

Ive seen nothing that came with a flathead either. And this one turns over. Who knows, it might just run after a little bit of cleaning up. He said his dad drove it in the seventies or eighties.

How much is a flathead that freely turns over, and is complete, with transmission? How about a RUNNING flathead with trans?

Hell, here is a really nice running '51 with a flattie, lots of upgrades and new parts in Dayton for $3k or best offer.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/1527946958.html

You would probably have double that in that other truck before it would even see the light of day. Trust me, it pays off to save up and spend a little more upfront. Buy something decent and get yourself on the road, then make changes to it as you see fit. You asked for info from people who have been there before, so I'm trying to give it to you straight. Building cars is fun, but nowhere near as fun as driving them!

Who knows, it might just run after a little bit of cleaning up. He said his dad drove it in the seventies or eighties.

"Who knows" is the operative phrase here. "Who knows" is currently applying to a lot of things regarding this vehicle, including the frame. You seem to be jumping at this because you haven't seen anything else, and that's not a sound reason for purchasing any vehicle, yet alone one that is going to require a lot of time and money from you. This isn't a cheap hobby. It can be affordable, but if you think you are going to put this thing together for nothing you are sadly mistaken. I'm not trying to sound rude, but it's true. Ask anyone who has built a ground-up vehicle. That being said, if "who knows" is worth a thousand bucks to you then by all means go for it. Frankly I don't have that kind of money to gamble, and it sounds like you don't either. Like I said before I was just trying to give you some advice from someone who has been around these old cars for a long time. Don't get in over your head!

Don't get so antsy - they are out there...

Finding that right project requires more than getting on craigslist. You gotta get out there and hit the back roads. I spent several days and probably at least $50-$60 in gas driving around the country side hunting until I finally found my baby.

Latest posts

Back