Is this truck too far gone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finding that right project requires more than getting on craigslist. You gotta get out there and hit the back roads. I spent several days and probably at least $50-$60 in gas driving around the country side hunting until I finally found my baby.

That's a great way to find cars! You wouldn't believe what's out there when you really start looking. I've found quite a few doing that. With a truck as rusted as the one you're looking at I've seen many people start them and then become overwhelmed by the amount of work involved and usually sell at a loss. If your skills on bodywork aren't top notch I would hold off on that truck and surely something else will come along that will be more in your realm of knowledge. If you feel as though you are capable of seeing that one through to the end then by all means go for it! If you run into problems this is the place to be because nearly everyone here is ready to help and there's some incredible knowledge on this site. Whatever you do I wish you the best of luck.......CR

I looked at a '50 F-1 that looked about like yours. They wanted $2200, but eventually got to $800. I think they still have it a year later.

Here's what I bought for $250. I sold parts off it and now have $28 invested. There wasn't one good surface on the entire truck, some places were rusted completely through. The perfect beginning of a rat IMO. Very little invested in something no one else would find value in. If it's good enough to restore I wouldn't want to cut it up.

Attachments

• 5-1-09 on trailer2.jpg
    5-1-09 on trailer2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43
I found my 37 Ford eventually. I bought it for $200. If you've seen pics of it you know why... but the frame was solid (worth several hundred) It had a couple of fenders (really beat up) I sold. I sold the 1 running board it had and a few other odds and ends that I wasn't going to use. I paid $200, made at least $500-$600 off of parts I didn't need starting me at + $300 (and I still have the frame, cab and bed, and complete front axle).

There's a vehicle out there just waiting for YOU to find IT.

Just remember if your out in the country looking on peoples land DO NOT tress pass to get a better peek. Ask them first. I met a few people who would have liked to pull out their shotgun on me.;)

Hell, here is a really nice running '51 with a flattie, lots of upgrades and new parts in Dayton for $3k or best offer.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/1527946958.html

You would probably have double that in that other truck before it would even see the light of day. Trust me, it pays off to save up and spend a little more upfront. Buy something decent and get yourself on the road, then make changes to it as you see fit. You asked for info from people who have been there before, so I'm trying to give it to you straight. Building cars is fun, but nowhere near as fun as driving them!

BED might come across a little on the hard nosed side, but I'd have to agree 100% on this one.

You see the S-10 in my avitar? Well, I've owned it for almost 4 years now and I'm really no closer to having a running, driving truck now than I was back in June, '06 when I bought it. Actually, after sitting that long, it runs like ass, the brakes are rotten and unuseable and I'm no closer to getting the rotten cab rebuilt now than I was then-except now I've got a pile of patch panels sitting here waiting for me to "make time.":eek:

I'm a mechanic, too (not a very good one, but that's what I do), so I understand having the skill set and willingness to learn more. Just be aware that even a vehicle that you are in love with can and will burn you out when the inevitable "snowball effect" kicks in...

You'd be better off with a solid cab that's missing everything than you would with that pile. Just because "it's all there" doesn't mean it'll all work-or be useable.

Think long and deep before taking the plunge. I'd hate to see you get burned.:(

Regards,
Shea:)

Of course some of us like 'em with "character". Give it a pressure wash until it is perfectly clean. Brace what needs bracing, drop it in front (so it looks cool while you are working on it) and get it running and stopping....Done :)

Just be aware that even a vehicle that you are in love with can and will burn you out when the inevitable "snowball effect" kicks in...

You'd be better off with a solid cab that's missing everything than you would with that pile. Just because "it's all there" doesn't mean it'll all work-or be useable.

Think long and deep before taking the plunge. I'd hate to see you get burned.:(

Sage advice there. Glad that others who have "been there" aren't afraid to tell it like it is...

Well, I went ahead and bought it. Probably should have listened to you guys and waited for something with less rust, but too late now! [ddev All 4 wheels are locked up, so my first priority will be getting it rolling, off the trailer, and into the garage! Then cleaning it up and see what I have (or dont have in case of the rust)

20100118121949.jpg

20100118121938.jpg

I think it's a great looking truck Adam! It's getting hard to find them with that kind of patina. You found the king of the rust rods in my opinion. What a great score! Don't let the rust scare you. I wish my 51 had looked like that honestly. They are NEVER too far gone that a little TLC and some creativity can't fix it. I can tell you how to stop that rust from getting any worse and yet keep the patina looking great. I'm really tired of people's skepticism though about what I use so private message me and I'll tell you what to get and where. My 51 F1 was almost that rusty but I stopped it cold permanently with something really well worth the money, easy to use, and I was able to keep the rust shining through without any further deterioration after almost two years now. Whatever you do, PLEASE DON'T paint it and ruin what nature created naturally. Your truck is a piece of art like it is.

Thunder

WOW. sweet truck adam, congrats, great lookin rust....that sounds weird..

remember, no car or truck is EVET too far gone, thats the beauty of our passion for rats..

I am guessing you didnt see my thread on my 46 Ford. I only wish it was in as good of shape as what you have there when I started. You got a gem my friend.[cl Now get to work.:D

Ratcrazy, I skimmed through your thread and saw some pics. Hard to tell, but it looks like mine is worse than yours. Both my rocker panels and cab corners are gone. Looks like the inside left of the cab (to the left of the pedals) is gone too. Bottom part of of at least the passenger door is gone. In the next few days I'll know more as I clean everything up.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I was planning on stripping it down to bare metal to see where the rust is, and painting it flat black.

How exactly do I keep the patina?

Its not driveable. The rear wheels are locked up, numerous brake lines are rusted through, and the brake pedial won't move.

I do plan on trying to fire up the motor.

I was planning on stripping it down to bare metal to see where the rust is, and painting it flat black.

Don't strip it and don't paint it...= patina Do rebuild/replace worn brakes and running gear. Mostly though do it how you want it.

Uh... by not stripping it down and not painting it. Don't worry about the rust, just patch the holes and move on. Old license plates make good patch panels. ;)

As you work on it, you'll find out pretty quick where the good metal is. Especially when using a welder. :D

As has been said, DON"T STRIP ANYTHING OR PAINT IT!!! you'll ruin it for sure if you go messing around with the patina. It's your truck but Black primer is SOOOOOOO overdone. Drive it as is. You can seal that rust up and not change it much with what I told you about in a previous email. As for holes, leave em alone unless they threaten the structural intregrity of the truck. Holes add lots of character and will only add to the looks you'll get later from all those people who stop to check out your truck. You've got yourself a gem in that old truck. Concentrate on the mechanical needs to get it going and safe and leave the rest to mother nature. She's done a great job with it so far.

Anyone else think it looks like a Dalmatian? 500$ sounds good. How much besides the cab are you planning to keep? I'm guessing the guy is gonna want at least 8-900$ for it. Tailgate and grill look good. I'd like to see somebody make a F1 open wheel rat and keep that toothy grill and light assembly.

That's exactly what the plans are for my F1 Sam. But inside a widened 38 Chev rad support for the head lights. The grill bar fits perfectly into the peaks in the sheet metal beside the headlights. the bar will be narrowed with three teeth installed.

Back