Its expensive a drop axle frond end?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your stock axle is about the same as a 3 inch drop, why not just use it? Clean off the leaf spring perches, fab up the spring mount and some 4 bar or hairpin mounts.
Here is a picture of how I did it with an econoline axle. I used spring mounts from speedway that are actually for welding to a rear end, trimmed to fit. Made my wishbones from 48 Ford car rears. I cleaned off the ends and welded 3/4 pipe then made tabs I welded to the back of the axle with a 3/4 inch bolt through.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/

That guy drops axles, i think its about $300 or so, but thats back here in the states. You may be able to get one from Speedway Motors or some hot rod shop. Im sure one of the Ford guys will jump in here and help better than i can, im a Mopar guy.

-Chris

I got a ford 52 f1 my proyect is to make a rat rod but how i buy this part? Its expensive?

I saw a shop on TV stretch an axle by securing it to a table with a jig and a 20 ton bottle jack under the kingpin area then heat it with a torch while jacking to stretch it.
They claimed that's how everyone used to do it in the old days.
There's a small discussion thread on jalopy journal discussing same thing.

Use what you got.

I always use econoline or chevy G10 axles.They are both just alike,side steer,leaf springs on front.The G10 uses plastic bushings for kingpins so they are easy to change.I am using 65 econoline on my woodie build.
Sometimes we use mounting holes and make plate.But it looks better to trim pads off and weld on brackets if you are good welder.
I always get my brother for critical welds.Funny he still insists on using stick arc welder instead of mig on frame work.He is old school.
Sure lays some pretty beads with it.
With the stories you hear about new I beams breaking,I feel safer using old made in USA parts instead of low quality new made in china parts.
We had a yard in conway S.C. named watts used parts that was loaded with econoline and g10 vans.But it was sold and is scrap yard now.
What a waste!!!!!!!!!:mad:

yep same here on the scrapping, not going to find nothing with a strait axle on it. People with low income or just need extra cash , has took everything away to the crusher . So i'm kinda stuck with no axle.

I think I paid a hundred bucks for that axle.
It came with wheels,shocks,steering box,brakes etc from a junkyard.

I always use econoline or chevy G10 axles.They are both just alike,side steer,leaf springs on front.The G10 uses plastic bushings for kingpins so they are easy to change.I am using 65 econoline on my woodie build.
Sometimes we use mounting holes and make plate.But it looks better to trim pads off and weld on brackets if you are good welder.
I always get my brother for critical welds.Funny he still insists on using stick arc welder instead of mig on frame work.He is old school.
Sure lays some pretty beads with it.
With the stories you hear about new I beams breaking,I feel safer using old made in USA parts instead of low quality new made in china parts.
We had a yard in conway S.C. named watts used parts that was loaded with econoline and g10 vans.But it was sold and is scrap yard now.
What a waste!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I'm the same way, only the old Lincoln pipeliner for crucial welds, never trust a wirefeed for that. I worked around a lot of smarter welders than me on plants and structural and they mostly feel the same way. And none of that dirt farmer 6010 or 6011 rod either, 7018 for almost all mild steel.

Latest posts

Back