JB's 1927 Dodge Brothers build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I got a little sidetracked.... lol

In the past couple months, I somehow managed to get the new axles/ wheels and tires under it for a little motivation... Been REALLY busy around here.

dodgebrothers.jpg

It's now in the shop and the build will be in FULL SWING this coming week.
inthere.jpg

I dragged in a couple of large I-beams to make a makeshift frame table and will be building the new frame while I'm on vacation... I'll update with pics.

Thanks fellas!

I found the service sign three miles from my house... I LOVE it!

My garage floor is FAR from flat and level, so today I built a frame table. Perfectly level, flat and square! Starting on the frame in the morning!!!

frametable.jpg

That table should be a big help getting the frame done, the only thing, you may find you want it higher off the floor. It gets kind of back braking bending over for very long.
Best of luck with it, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I really like the way it sits and bonus you can take the whole family. that means a lot more driving time. you could even use it to pick up groceries. Cool!

Yes, it will definately get grocery duty once in a while... :D

The wheels are 2002-ish Dodge Ram (steel) spares. ;)

Well, I spent the day [;) and every muscle in my body hurts, but I think it was worth the effort.

The frame is basically done. I just tacked the crossmembers, as I'm sure they'll need to be moved a bit, and I'm going to fishplate the joints.... But, it's done enough to get on with mounting the body, engine placement, etc.

Just before I cut it loose from the table...
aframe1.jpg

Ready for axles and mockup suspension... (already in progress)
aframe2.jpg

Thanks! It is a bit large... That's one of the things I like about it... :)

At ride height (as it is in the pics) there is about 4" in the front and 6" in the rear. With it layed out, there is about 2" in the front and 0" in the rear... lol

Got the engine and tranz in today....

I whittled some mounts out of 3/16" plate...
cellpic1.jpg

And, the rest is pretty self-explanitory....
cellpic2.jpg

dbengine005.jpg

dbengine002.jpg

I ordered heim joints, spacers and tube adapters for the front suspension (quarter-elliptical)... They should be here for the weekend!

The front suspension is basically done... I'll add some gussets and do a little trimming when I break it down for finish welding/ paint.

It took me awhile to figure out the front suspension mounts... I ended up making a cross-section (drawing) of the I beam and made all of my brackets off of that. The mount goes all the way around the beam and ties back into itself on the other side. Probably overkill, but I know it will be good.

dbengine_001.jpg

Half of the original DB front leaf packs... I had to add another leaf to get a slight positive arch.
dbengine_004.jpg

The DB supporting itself once again...
dbengine_010.jpg

dbengine_011.jpg

dbengine_012.jpg

As I said before, I'll be trimming up the mounts/ brackets and adding a few gussets when I blow it apart for finish work.

ON TO THE DRIVESHAFT TUNNEL!!!

Thanks Sugar... :)

Of course I had to chop the grille shell and play around with the headlights a bit...

Not sure which one I like better, the high mount lights.... or the low mount.

dbengine_017.jpg

dbengine_015.jpg

dbengine_023.jpg

dbengine_024.jpg

Latest posts

Back