Just picked up my flathead block

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

I just picked up my 8BA flathead block from a local flathead builder and long time drag racer Earl Floyed. It's been acid dipped, magnafluxed, and releaved. I'm going to do some cleanup work on the intake and exhaust ports then take it in to be line bored, and decked.

This will be my very first engine rebuild and I will be assited by Earl as I'm sure there are many little tricks to building them that I would otherwise be unaware of.

I'll be installing a Merc Crank, stock rods that have been shot peened, stock valves, and Egg forged pistons. I did pick up pick up a Aluminum T7071 heavy a** duty main cap that Earl has made that he runs in his dragsters that should toughen up the bottom end.

I decided to go with a 2x2 carb setup so I can run the generator in it's stock location.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Sid

It looks like ou are doing everything the right way. And, you have an expert helping. That should be a really nice flattie.

The expert help is priceless. In the beginning I thought I'd just pickup a book on how to build it but there are so many 'little' things that it most likely won't teach you. Plus, he has all the little misc. parts I'll need.

Sid

Got some work done this weekend

I picked up the block from the machine shop last week and started assembling the valve train. I had the cam is a Isky Max-1 regrind and I'm running stock Johnson adjustable lifters as well as stock intake and exhaust valves.

The valves where gapped to .014" and I started to install the valve retainers then measure, which I'll get done next weekend.

I picked up a Merc 4" crank, which is getting worked over. Then all I need is the rod and main bearings, have everything balanced and the bottome end will be ready to install.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Sid

Boy, this Flathead build is slow going. Since my last post I picked up a 4" merc crank that was suppose to have magged good. I still took it to my machine shop to have it re-magged and it took him 6 weeks to get it back. Well, come to find out there were several crack and now I have a $300 mock up crank. Luckily I found another 4" merc crank but it cost me a nice flathead block in trade.

I dropped off the rotating assembly at a new machine shop and the rod weight difference between the lightest and heaviest was 14 grams. I had him pick the middle ones big end weight to calc the bob weight.

I borrowed a balancing setup and did them myself. For the light ones I added either one or two 3 gm washers and on the heavy ones, I trimmed down the stud. At least now I know they all are exactly the same weight.

By next weekend I should have everything ready to install the crank, rods, and pistons.

Sid

5.jpg

6.jpg

all that work is a pain , But when you put it together you won't have to worry. hopefully all will go well and be vibration free

Latest posts

Back