Lacquer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studedude

Has anybody used any lacquer auto paint here lately?I came across some to go along with some sealer that I got and just wanted to know how it is holding up.

It's been a long time...

I haven't used lacquer since sometime in the early 70's or so. Usually, lacquer "sealer" was the stuff you sprayed over an existing enamel. Usually, you could spray a sealer, spray your lacquer, sand out the imperfections, runs, etc., then spray another coat and repeat cycle...again and again and again. That's why guys used to say things like, "Yeah, I've 20 coats of lacquer on this baby". It's also why they looked so gorgeous and "deep" 'cuz you had practically hand blocked the whole car and smoothed out some of the dips you might not have got out completely if you were prepping for an enamel job.
The problem with lacquer? Lots more maintenance (remember, there's no clearcoat like today's 2 stage color + clear), plus it had a tendency to crack over time (have you seen some of the "barn finds" with lacquer jobs?). Also, lots of trouble if you didn't "seal off" the enamel well enough. It just cracks and wrinkles in those spots..don't ask me how I know this.;)
As far as the "bitchin'" factor goes, there's nothin' like a lacquer job... Trust me, once you do the elbow grease, you'll never be prouder of any paint job you'll ever do.

Lacquer is a strange coating compared to enamel. You literally could spray it on with a spray bottle because you get the shine when you wet sand and buff it. The application smoothness is secondary, it comes from the final smoothing of it.

It isn't really used much any more except on some customs and show cars because modern enamels and bc/cl are so superior in durability and ease in finalizing the job (you just shoot and the gloss is already there unless you want to buff it for less orange peel)

If you do it, you will be doing a lot more maintenance and won't get the longevity you would with the more modern finishes.

Don

lacquer paint

I have a friend who uses lacquer on all his cars. Do your body work with urethane primer,seal it and then shoot your paint and it will do great. A lot of old lacquer paint jobs cracked due to the lacquer primer being too thick,not the paint.

I was just curious about it.I been hearing alot about lacquer ever since duplicolor came out with the paint shop stuff.I wouldn't even know where you could buy any lacquer at other than the paint shop line.I went checking around the other day and a guy at one store that I went to said he used to paint with lacquer all the time in his back yard.Just got my curiousity up about it.About how long would a lacquer job last for?Anybody got any idea.From what I've been told GM painted with laqcuer up until the 70s.Thats just what I've been told though,don't know how true that is.

Latest posts

Back