latest bonehead metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks more like they 'chromed' a clinical skeleton - in other words, it doesn't look like it was made from metal. My opinion.

BH ,REALLY DIGGIN YOUR STUFF.The 39 Chevy is really cool too.You got any current pix of it?You still got the Ford in your avatar?[cl

OK Bone, so I scroll through this thread once in a while and drool... beautiful work!!!

Now I am tired of trying to figure it out. In all these skulls you make, for the general shape of the head, what are you using? Do you have stuff laying around you use, or are you pounding the dome shape by hand?

[P [P

Oh I thought your avatar was a Ford. You must of changed the front grill and the spring perch. Do you ever take the top off? If so any pictures?

P2210004.jpg

P2270019.jpg

Forge.... is about 3 inches X 4 inches, but there is a big door on the other side, that lets you put in bigger chunks. The inside of the whole thing is probably 20 inches x 8 inches high, and about 10 inches deep.

Uh yeah 'forge'.... that's what I said. Obviously I know nothing about forgery :rolleyes: so I'll open my mouth anyhow. What's the process on something like that grate? I always figured you heated the bars with a torch and bent them on a form, but apparently you have to heat it in a forge? And why is the piece in the forge larger than anything on the final project - think I'm missing something here... [S

Do you like doing the iron stuff as much as some of your other art or is it more something that pays the bills? Ironwork always amazes me, but looks like a lot of repetitiveness.

Sam you are one sharp cookie. The pieces in the forge are from the project right after the grate, which is already shipped away with out a picture, king size bed. I just happend to have the camera out in the shop and snapped both pictures.

The process, is as you say. Draw the whole thing out on the table, and make a jig to bend the parts on. Heat the parts, and shape them to match. However, you can buy parts that are factory bent, and then re-shape them to fit what you are doing. Which is what I did here.

There are several levels of blacksmithing, (forgery). The easy way is buying forged parts and welding them together to make what you want. The least work, and the cheapest.
2nd, is buying parts and shaping them, re heating them in the forge, and getting a custom fit, that looks right. Not the cheapest, not the best. 3rd, starting from scratch. Much more work, and lots more expense to the end user. It also has the best look, and you can see the details much better. That is the readers digest version. There is much more to it.

It all comes down to what the customer wants to spend.

I like playing the field. I usually don't get tired of projects as long as there is something different going on every few days. For alot of the art work stuff, I have to be "in the mood". At least I feel like I do better when my heart is in it. And in short, it all pays the bills. I just have more fun with some of it more than others, but it is all fun.

I like playing the field. I usually don't get tired of projects as long as there is something different going on every few days. For alot of the art work stuff, I have to be "in the mood". At least I feel like I do better when my heart is in it. And in short, it all pays the bills. I just have more fun with some of it more than others, but it is all fun.

i have always been that way on my body & paint work ... if not "in the mood" nothing seems to go right, and if i continue "fighting it" i am never satisfied with my work or the end results...

i call it my artsy-fartsy mentality:p

Bonehead, i am amazed at your level of skill & talent[cl[cl[cl[cl

I just have to ask oh wise and great skull master, how do you get that knarley finish on the round stock for the chandelier and candle holders ?

[P

Latest posts

Back