Lets talk I beam air ride

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

So as I'm getting closer and figuring out what exactly I'm building I know I want to run air ride front and rear. Rear is simple, front is a little more complicated. What I'm thinking is a cross member behind the grill to house the bags, building I guess a perch on the bottom that will pivot downward when the bag is inflated, and somehow attaching that downward pivot to the axle, and running a shock off the axle to a frame support, does this sound doable? Or am I on the wrong track of thinking here?

So what I *think* I'm seeing is the swivel perches attach to a wish bone which is on the axle and it lifts and lowers on that axis, so I could move it back essentially and lengthen the swivel perch to attach on the wishbone back further yes?

Yes. The Cenpen is what I am going to be running. Awesome setup. Don (donsrods) has the setup where the spring perches are mounted to the bones putting the axle out front. If he sees this he might post some pics for you of their setup. Best way I hav seen to do it an the way I am going to.

Yes. The Cenpen is what I am going to be running. Awesome setup. Don (donsrods) has the setup where the spring perches are mounted to the bones putting the axle out front. If he sees this he might post some pics for you of their setup. Best way I hav seen to do it an the way I am going to.

Brilliant I love it I hope he does I'd like to see it! So do I need their bones or can I use a standard setup?

Brilliant I love it I hope he does I'd like to see it! So do I need their bones or can I use a standard setup?

I have picked up a 32 axle with factory bones. I am splitting them and running the stock bones drilled through sleeved and a gusset underneath for overkill.

I bought my cenpen setup from don On here there are some pics n the ad

Here's the link
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25277

I have picked up a 32 axle with factory bones. I am splitting them and running the stock bones drilled through sleeved and a gusset underneath for overkill.

I bought my cenpen setup from don On here there are some pics n the ad

Here's the link
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25277

Awesome awesome awesome, what do you mean by split bones though? Not 100% sure what that term means, sorry I'm new to tradition front suspension so I'm trying, I am 100% sure this is what I want to do though

sorry I'm new to tradition front suspension

Airbags are anything BUT traditional.

Besides, why are you set on them? If you have never built anything before I would definitely reccomend something that is actually traditional. Not being rude, but if you don't even know what a wishbone is then the last thing you should be planning is air on a beam axle. You said you are very green to all this, so dreaming and doing are two very different things. Lots of guys start out with really big plans only to realize exactly how much work and money goes into doing things like this and wind up frustrated and/or ruining a vehicle in the process. Besides, "simple" done well is always cooler than complicated done wrong/halfassed. Build yourself a nice clean little hotrod, cut your teeth and move on to something else or upgrade as you see fit. I think you will be MUCH happier in the long run.

My $.02

Awesome awesome awesome, what do you mean by split bones though? Not 100% sure what that term means, sorry I'm new to tradition front suspension so I'm trying, I am 100% sure this is what I want to do though

Factory wishbones were connected to a ball that went into a socket in the middle of the chassis. When you run most bigger engines and trans the ball socket is it the way. So to eliminate the problem you cut the ball off weld in him joints and secure them under the desired area with welded tabs

Factory wishbones were connected to a ball that went into a socket in the middle of the chassis. When you run most bigger engines and trans the ball socket is it the way. So to eliminate the problem you cut the ball off weld in him joints and secure them under the desired area with welded tabs
Gotcha working on the terminology so I can get it right at least
Airbags are anything BUT traditional.

Besides, why are you set on them? If you have never built anything before I would definitely reccomend something that is actually traditional. Not being rude, but if you don't even know what a wishbone is then the last thing you should be planning is air on a beam axle. You said you are very green to all this, so dreaming and doing are two very different things. Lots of guys start out with really big plans only to realize exactly how much work and money goes into doing things like this and wind up frustrated and/or ruining a vehicle in the process. Besides, "simple" done well is always cooler than complicated done wrong/halfassed. Build yourself a nice clean little hotrod, cut your teeth and move on to something else or upgrade as you see fit. I think you will be MUCH happier in the long run.

My $.02

I understand what you're saying but I also am not going to be building the suspension and will be enlisting the help of a lot of guys who know what theyre doing, but if I don't know what I'm talking about I cant exactly explain to them what I need want. As for why I want it, western PA has like the 3 worst roads in the country, and the main reason I want to build it is to be able to drive it, and do so without being totally uncomfortable. Its not my first rodeo when it comes to building a car, but everything I have built has been high end new stuff, I'm used to working with a arms, struts, 3 link rears and drag setups, as everything I've ever dealt with was for drag racing. I'm also not planning on building or engineering any part of it myself, I have a friend who has done my differential work for years and has been building old school hot rods for over 30 years professionally, whom is looking to do the chassis work for me, and plenty of friends who deal with bagged suspensions as it pertains to mini trucking so I am just learning what I'll need to make this happen. I need a minimum of 5-6" to even get out of my driveway, and I want that low look, slammed at a show, so to be able to get the best of both worlds I came to the solution that I should run a bagged I beam to get that suicide look. By no means do I think its inexpensive or the easiest way, just the only way thats going to fit me

plenty of friends who deal with bagged suspensions as it pertains to mini trucking

Oh+hell+no+_5527b4e6f027652e9e51c6ab696e0025.jpg

It's a rat build it the way you want it so that you will be happy and to also not worry about other peoples opinions in the normal rat tradition. After all we are on RRR.

For some reason on forums people tend to think everyone is a quitter or just can't do what they want.

On a side note certain people get real upset when you say mini truckin and or body drop.

It's a rat build it the way you want it so that you will be happy and to also not worry about other peoples opinions in the normal rat tradition. After all we are on RRR.

For some reason on forums people tend to think everyone is a quitter or just can't do what they want.

On a side note certain people get real upset when you say mini truckin and or body drop.

Note my user name Xtreme S10 lol with my 6.0l s10 if it weren't for mini trucking I wouldn't be into any kind of auto stuff.. No worries not everyone will be happy with my build or how I plan to go about it, I also get where he's coming from I do, but I have never done chassis fab or suspension engineering and I don't plan on ever doing it, but I like to learn and understand it, so when I talk about how it works, say at a cruise, I'm not spitting bs

Lol yep better to at least be hands on with helping build your ride so you half way know what happened than to by it built and only know the specs. :D

Latest posts

Back