Like Father like Daughter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no! I have Corvair replacement panels keeping my chickens in! who knew![cl

JK. I like corvairs.

my daughter... I hope... NOT steal the keys to my BB chevelle!:eek: [ddd

Gods Honest truth...
here In Omaha one summer day during the week while I was out looking for work I see in my rear view this show quality gold 70-71 big block chevelle going about 50 in a 45.
They romp on it over the Lstreet over 72nd street bridge and it promptly careens left into the median curb shattering the centers out of the cragar ss's and it slid on the hubs into the concrete guardwall and ....BLAMMMMO! totalled!

My buddy is going the other way. he stops to see if they need help and it's a high school kid stole it from his dad for a joy ride. he's okay enough to tell everyone who stops to go to hell and leave him alone.

no lame excuses here. I'm just mad because I could have used that dash in my pickup!![;)

This one may very well be in my garage on Sunday. We are driving down with a trailer to look at it.

100_0335.jpg

100_0340.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0347.jpg

This is the guy who has 5 Corvairs, and is a nut about these cars. He sent more photos and the whole car looks very clean,and he has since piut the front trim around the windshield.

Didn't one model of the Corvair (I think it was the Monza ) have a turbo or something wicked on it?

Man, that crash test sure did show how late-model crumple zones have come a long way since the '59 Chevy. I cant believe how that thing folded up around the impact. Scary.
My daughter had a blowout at highway speed and the car went down a small hill, then up the other side, and then the car started flipping, and came to rest about 100 feet off the road. The ONLY place not flattened of the roof happened to be right over her head (driver's seat). This was a '96 Ford Contour, and she came out without serious injury. Makes you think, that's for sure.
Whatever the princesses drive, I hope they are all safe and sound when they get home.

Here is a nice video for all you guys that think it perfectly safe to stick a new driver into an old car.They are only going 40 MPH. And dont come up with some more lame excuses, its a stupid idea. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaigwx_crash-test-1959-chevy-bel-air_auto

Dude, it's not perfectly safe to put anyone in an old rat rod either. So, I assume your old ride has airbags and such right? Build a bridge and get over it ! It just makes me laugh when I hear someone blasting me for wanting to buy my girl an old classic.

You know.....

Dude, it's not perfectly safe to put anyone in an old rat rod either. So, I assume your old ride has airbags and such right? Build a bridge and get over it ! It just makes me laugh when I hear someone blasting me for wanting to buy my girl an old classic.

I don't care what vehicle someone puts their kids into... if they do something stupid or someone else does something stupid things happen.... wrong place, wrong time so to speak... heck, you can get run over walking across at a traffic light cause someone runs the light... there are so many variables to these stories that you could debate it for a year (or longer)... bottom line, if you trust your daughter to be responsible she probably will be... sometimes just that little extra caution taken "because" you're driving a classic could spell the difference..... you certainly know her better than we do....coulda woulda shoulda... to each their own.... God bless her for wanting something different.... sounds like a great kid....Wish her my best.. :D Happy motoring and drive safe.....

Thanks Sgtpontiac. I could have swore that dude said he wouldn't post in this thread again. I guess he was just busting at the seams to say something else. Again, this is a RAT ROD FORUM ,so it's funny hearing statement like that. I'm done

I am done too, too many ignorant people from south of the border on here that cant discuss anything intelligently.

Corvairs are cool looking cars. I like their look, but the biggest downfall is the gas tank in the front, killer situation in front end collision.

A suggestion ...... I maybe wrong but is there enough room to build a narrow flat tank under the rear seat or stand one up behind it and put in a wall to separate the engine from the fuel ?

My apologies to the purveyor of this thread and his daughter..
I have a story I'd like to share.
I'm sorry about the descriptive nature, but my first hand experience to the safety of one of these vehicles warrants it to be told.

Back in the late 60's we lost 3 highschool peers in a 2dr. Corvair that struck a telephone pole straight on. Remember, no one used seat belts in them days.

Myself and 2 buddies were the first on the scene moments after it happened.
The car exploded when it hit the pole and burst into flames engulfing the front seat in seconds. We saw the fireball raise into the night sky from the initial explosion as we approached the accident from the opposite direction. Arriving on the scene we immediately grabbed the driver Scott and threw him out on the ground, his hands had already melted to the steering wheel and were badly damaged when we yanked him out. His girlfriend was on the floor, already gone, sucumbed to the flames. The guy in the backseat was on top of his girlfriend, his leg hanging out the front drivers door. We tried desperately to pull him from the backseat, but he wouldn't let go of his girlfriend, who was unconcience on the floor. We yelled at him to let go of her and we'll get her out, he just wouldn't let go. We eventually had to back off when the entire car flashed over killing the 2 occupants in the rear.

Scott was the only survivor, he lost both his hands to the fire.
A memorial still stands at the local highschool to that terrible night.

Sorry for you losing your friends in an accident. I am sure there is a horror story about every vehicle made. I am very sorry I ever posted this thread. This is a rat rod site, and it seems that some folks think they have to post their opinions about the safety of certain vehicles, and how what they have is much better and safer ....blablabla....It just makes me laugh when I see some builds that only have expanded metal for floor boards, and other little unsafe things. I could much more understand these comments coming from someone on a forum that deals with car reviews and such. I will know from now on that if I'm looking at what may be an unsafe old project, that I should not post here, because I may get some smart ass telling me that his 350ZXDVG 500 hp is much better . HAHAHA. Some folks need to remember what kind of forum this is.BTW, the car was a POS, so like I said, build a big bridge and get over it!!!!

Latest posts

Back