lil bounce in the frame ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i guess i under built the frame so i think i can save it with a full roll cage and truss the frame in front tied to the cage

ok i guess i under built the frame so i think i can save it with a full roll cage and truss the frame in front tied to the cage

A cage will do the trick. That is the way I built mine on purpose.
frontquarter.jpg

historyratterside2a.jpg

a lil' help

Hopefully I can be as helpful here as Sam & Lightning...they are both on the right track. If a cage like Bonehead's is out of the question, your next best bet would be to use 2" x 1 1/4" x 3/16" (minimum) angle iron stitch welding the 2" side to the inside of the frame. You may have to notch the angle around the oil filter and/or other parts, but this gives you the most help for lateral and longitutinal flexing. If angle is out of the question, try the flatbar. We believe a 2" weld with a 4" gap would be best-follow Sam's advice about removing the bend before welding! Also to help the angle or flatbar, before tacking it in place drill 1/2" holes in the center of the bar every 12" on center. You will then be able to plug weld the holes and keep it fixed to the tube better. I would recommend putting in the extra members for a lateral truss as well...like what you showed in an earlier illustration.

Illustration as follows:

View attachment Nitrous Solution 1.pdf

thanks guys. lots of help like always. i have not done anything to the frame yet going to wait til after detroit autorama to pull it apart

well i did do some more looking the frame over and had a friend come over so i had him bounce on the frame as i looked under the truck to watch and i found that what i saw was tires and springs moving not the frame. i also found i need to do some more to the floor and cab mounts. i was seeing the cab move when i bounce on the frame.
so im not sure if i need to do anything with the frame. it does have a lil bow. i guess it would only help

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back