Long time lurker, first time builder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welder

Well I went and bought a new (new to me) welder tonight. Got a good deal on a Lincoln. This means you should start seeing more post soon. I am going to my Dad's to pick up cab and bring it here sometime this week. I AM PUMPED!!! Let's do this!!!

Buick drums

I just picked my drums up from being blasted and they look great. Now to drill and have the lip trimmed to accept the backing plates. I noticed the holes for the balancing weights, should I find new ones????

Attachments

• blasted drums.jpg
    blasted drums.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 54
Ours have those rectangular weights on them and never gave it much thought. Maybe you could simply leave them off and have the wheels and brakes spun together on one of those machines that go under the tire and spin the whole assembly. The weights aren't very big and being close to the center of the brake drum probably don't add much in the way of balance to the overall setup. The other problem is, where would you find those weights and in what size?

As for triming a little off the back of the drum to clear the early Ford backing plates, it seems about 1/4 to 3/8 is sufficient to do the trick. Find someone who knows machining though, Gastrick had one or two sets ruined by someone, as I recall.

Don

Don

I seen the thread on Gastrik's drums...OOOOO I would have been fired up.

Did you use the hubs that mount inside or outside the drum? I have the one for inside. I took about a 1/2" off the diameter to get them to match the flat part of the drum. A guy told me he trim that edge at a 45 degree angle and it worked good. I am going to take everything to my machinist and see what he says. Thanks

Don

I seen the thread on Gastrik's drums...OOOOO I would have been fired up.

Did you use the hubs that mount inside or outside the drum? I have the one for inside. I took about a 1/2" off the diameter to get them to match the flat part of the drum. A guy told me he trim that edge at a 45 degree angle and it worked good. I am going to take everything to my machinist and see what he says. Thanks

the cab is in the garage

Picked the cab up from dad's tonight. Now i have to get a tank for the welder and the fun will begin. Also got my gas pedal in the mail today. Here are a few pics...I know how everyone loves pics

Attachments

• IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 184
Progress Finally

Well I haven't logged any new action in a while. Since The last post I welded the frame up and now have a rolling chassis. Next step is to make some (or buy) some motor mounts and tranny cross member and mount. Slow but just crossed a major point and now progress should pick up some. Plus hunting season is over for me and more time in the garage instead of woods. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Here are progress pics let me know what you think. Some of the bolts still need to be replaced, and some adjustments made once under full weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• IMAG0320.jpg
    IMAG0320.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 108
Something is wrong

My doors are swinging backwards. I spent a few hours in the garage Sat and Sun and installed the suicide hinges. In the picture with the door installed the bracket is at an angle. I took it off and got in there straight. They swing good. The beltline is rusted through so I bought another one and I am going to replace when I do the chop. Hopefully that will tighten the opening some. I fill the cab moving a little when I open and close the doors.

Attachments

• IMAG0333.jpg
    IMAG0333.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0334.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 115
Thank you sir!! We found the cab in a friend of my Dad's field. He had 2 of them. Dad is building the other. So we have 2 projects in full swing.

I love your cab! We are farmers & hog farmers at that. So your truck cab would fit right in. Nice work so far.

Finally some progress

Well I spent the afternoon in the garage. I replaced the old rusted through and split beltline. The top is not welded up yet because the chop is coming in the next week or so.

Attachments

• Beltline replace.jpg
    Beltline replace.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Beltline out.jpg
    Beltline out.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 89
  • New Beltline.jpg
    New Beltline.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
  • New Beltline 2.jpg
    New Beltline 2.jpg