MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't imagine that the bushings that the crossmember mounts with would have enough deflection in them for the sway bar to hit anyway.

They would only be there to isolate vibration I'd think. If they moved too much you'd get caster change under brakes and lose all small bump sensitivity in the shocks...

Being how the steering shaft needs the OEM Jag Rag Joint, I'm guessing it at least moves some. And 1/4" aint much. I would rather not have to worry about it and will just modify my design a bit to free up some clearance.

I'm with Wendle here, if you're talking about a crossmember 'solid' mounted in 4 corners through rubber bushings, wouldn't the bushings have to crush completely one direction for 1/4" of movement?

I'm all for overbuilding and saftey, I just don't grasp the need in this case (but then again...before this thread I didn't know anything of substance on the Jag IFS).

-Chaz

More than anything, I'm just trying to be smart and avoid a possible issue. It may have cleared and it may have rubbed. I will never know. It took me an hour to make adjustments to the mounts and now I have "Peace of Mind". That's an Iron Maiden reference ; )
I'm sure there are much easier ways to do stuff like this and I wish I had the right tools to do it with, but I'm sure I will appreciate the truck more when I'm done being I did it all the hard way.

IMG_20110120_124519.jpg

IMG_20110120_121659.jpg

Plenty of clearance now.
IMG_20110120_121711.jpg

Havn't even tacked anything in place in the front and I'm already jumping to something else????!!! Finally cut the spring pads off the Ford 8.8 and cleaned it up so it's ready for new pads in the proper places. Not happy with the Explorer leafs though. I have some Hotchkis leafs from my Dodge Ram. They are almost straight as a board though. Might see if I can get them re-arched. They are long azz leafs. Anyone know if there are ride quality differences in long versus short springs?

IMG_20110119_130914.jpg

IMG_20110119_125259.jpg

IMG_20110119_130858.jpg

Here's where it's at now. I like that I'm actually making progress for a change. And yes, the frame where the rear mounts are will be beefed up. Front is tacked and bolted up though. I put the wheels back on, lowered it down, and stacked 450lbs of weights on top of the frame. Still on the bump stops ; )

IMG_20110123_164113.jpg

IMG_20110123_163744.jpg

IMG_20110123_165444.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for jumpin around but just read on the IH forum and look at these pics:D

0919101459b.jpg

Picture004.jpg

What tires are what in those pics. I know you posted the sizes on IHC but which ones are which? You have a pic of the truck with the other ones on?

I will have a pic with the others on. this is the closest I have. It is really low with the 255/50s(the ones on the 10"aluminum rims). The mufflers took a beating but that is fixed up now. the others are 265/60s on the Olds rims.

There is quite a bit of room with either set

Thanks Daman. I actually like those wheels. Think there's another style just like them that has more fins? If you can, post up a pic with them on the truck. Are the rear a lower profile than the front?

No not lower profile. they are all the same at 25" tall. I had turbines on my 70 and still have one but haven't been able to find another set. You may be able to find some from 70s or 80s chrysler that fit your bolt pattern

The ones I have are Vectors the same kind they used on the General Lee.

Sorry, no install of this one. It's going up for sale. If it had the gear setup I wanted I would use it. Sure hate not to use it but finding a gear set for it isnt easy. I found a place that had a set of 3.52's I think. Non LS. They wanted $380! Plus the cost to rebuild the suspension, it will just be too much. I have the Ford 8.8 with disc brakes, Trac-loc 3.73 gears...... While it won't be as nice a drive, the 3.73's should be fun.

What gears are in the Jag rear now?

IMHO that rear end would be excellent in your build.[cl I think you should reconsider. That small block will be a lot different than the jag engine

I have 4.10 in mine now and going back to the original 3.31s for highway haulin. Don't get me wrong it's fun with the 4.10s but cruizin on the highway at 3800 rpm isn't

The 3'25's in mine work good . Cruises like a champ and gives me good gas mileage . Coming away from the light a new dodge pu with a hemi got the jump on me , but I caught him before to long and when he realised he was gettin an ass whopen he backed off and quit .

This was a series III Jag. Last year of the popular Jag setups. But in the series III, they switched gears for fuel economy. It has 2.82's in it. That aint gonna get it done. Believe me, I would love to use it. It's the cost to use it that makes me not want to. If I can't get what I'm asking for it, I will keep it. I will continue to search for a 3.52 gear set for it but it would have to be at a good price. Not too sure what a brake job on it takes either, might be a pain. As far as the gearing goes, I plan on running a 700R4 overdrive tranny. Even with the 3.73's it should be fine on the highway and really fun off the line. You never know though, I may place it under the frame and have to use it!!!

The aftermarket sheet metal floor came out no problem, The factory one is a bit more stubborn. Gonna have to think about it in the daylight.

IMG_20110130_182402.jpg

Latest posts

Back