MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

Yep, first build. So this will be more of a guidance channel for me to ask questions to you guys. I would sure appreciate the help.

Here we go....... What we have on the chopping block is a solid 46' IH truck. My brother in laws grandfather bought it new and it was used as his Ranch/Farm truck.
It was parked in 66' and sat at their Ranch til the 80's when my father in law bought it for $300. It sat in his yard until today No, I didn't really drive it home. Or even get it home. Yet. I did free it from it's tomb though. It had been backed into the corner of his lot next to the fence, like touching the fence
Then a then weed, grew into a 50 ft tree. A few years ago, an oak tree from the house next door fell on the truck. The neighbor and his insurance never paid to fix the dents in the truck. Roof, hood, a coupe fenders.

Anyway, I was given, well asked for it, the truck to use with my kids to teach them how to turn a wrench. It was also a way for me to get that truck for free. Isn't that the Rat Rod way????? So already 1 day into it, I went over today to try to release it from the fence/tree tomb it was rotting away in. I ripped down the fence.
Then I used floorjacks front and back to move it over about a foot away from the tree. I had to use a hatchet on the trunk of the tree as it had grown around the side step of the truck. Once we had it over far enough. We were able to use a tow strap hooked to my 02' Ram and pull it out. Hosed it down pretty good and watered the moss that had been growing on it. Leather bench seat still looks good. No rips anyway but there was animal crap everywhere as one of the floorboard panels had been off when the battery was removed!!!!! Looks good though. The floor of the bed had a sheet of steel welded in and it looks like the original underneath it is rotted away. Not sure about the ID tags. Can't see anything under the hood and not sure about the inside one. I think the truck was repainted and the interior badge painted over. Not sure what I'm looking for though.
So here it is how I started and were it sits now. I'm having a friend who has a tow truck business and he is gonna come over in a day or so and flatbed it to my house.

BTW, my brother helped me today and when I thanked him for wasting his day helping me, he said it was fun. This hobby can be a great bonding tool. Can't wait to get the kids involved. It needs to be spider free first though......

67075a05.jpg

5b96b6fe.jpg

3d57b05e.jpg

cdbdb6cf.jpg

Looks to be in great shape considering its been sitting for so many years! I love the look of those trucks. Good luck with your new project....don't forget the pics!...CR

Nice! I got an old 54IH. Looks like you could just get in it and drive. Was there anything interesting in that lock box in the back?? RR

Just odds and ends stuff like roofing nails, saw blades... Father in law was a home builder/contractor/ state bldg inspector. Nothing like cool old tools.......

I've gotta tell ya though, I sure want to get it home. As much as I want to try to get it running, I'm not gonna spend a dime doing it so I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna tear it down and get busy.

So I am pretty sure I have decided to just build a custom frame. It's the suspension that has me boggled. I want to go with an IFS setup. I'm not forking over the cash for a Mustang II. But would like that type of setup. I assume i could find a front clip (frame & suspension) for a lot less if I find if I just keep on the hunt. My question would be what should I look for? I'm thinking it should be from a car that is similar in weight to what this truck will be. I plan to use all I can other than the rear fenders and plan to chop the top, shorted the bed, and run a small block and auto transmission. No clue how heavy or light that setup will be. Any suggestions on a good donor front suspension I should try to score?

So I am pretty sure I have decided to just build a custom frame. It's the suspension that has me boggled. I want to go with an IFS setup. I'm not forking over the cash for a Mustang II. But would like that type of setup. I assume i could find a front clip (frame & suspension) for a lot less if I find if I just keep on the hunt. My question would be what should I look for? I'm thinking it should be from a car that is similar in weight to what this truck will be. I plan to use all I can other than the rear fenders and plan to chop the top, shorted the bed, and run a small block and auto transmission. No clue how heavy or light that setup will be. Any suggestions on a good donor front suspension I should try to score?

Look for a donor with a similar track width. S10, early Camaro, Nova II, etc. ? Do some homework and save yourself some aggravation and $. Junk yards should be happy to help you find something.

Latest posts

Back