Making my own drip rails ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

My drip rails (gutters) were pretty much toasted so I removed them when I did my chop. Can't stay that way, looks like hell ! I don't want to shave them. Tell me what you think...I'm thinking about tracing the area where the gutters go, bending 3/4" conduit to match, then cutting the conduit in half (one for each side). Instead of leaving the top open, I was going to weld it to the body. More of a looks rather than function thing. Let her rip...

drip rails

You would be better off to get steel tubing vs conduit. Conduit, in most cases is galvanzied coated, difficult to weld and the fumes are deadly too breathe. If you decide to use conduit, wisely choose a well ventalated area.

Streetrodman

You would be better off to get steel tubing vs conduit. Conduit, in most cases is galvanzied coated, difficult to weld and the fumes are deadly too breathe. If you decide to use conduit, wisely choose a well ventalated area.

Streetrodman

Actually, most electric related components, (at least in the hospital where I work) are zinc coated. It's just a coating, grinds or sands off, and is regular ole' steel underneath. Isn't good to breath either way, but really not bad as long as you're careful. Some guys even use conduit to make headers out of. Thanks for lookin' out though.

I don't know what kinda car your workin on but my pop and I found drip rail in MACS for our model A. Its made of aluminum and comes in90" pieces. $22.95 for set. There are 2 pieces, one piece rivets or screws into the body and the the drip rail snaps & locks over it. You can cut and bend it to fit your needs. Pretty slick deal. You can paint em or shine em up too, we're gonna paint ours. Hope this maybe helps ya out.

How about breaking some 20 gauge in to a V to make a 90 then shear it down to the size you need, then bend and shape to the curve you need.

Thanks Gearhead, if that pans out would save alot of grief.

For some reason I can't get the link to the exact page in Macs to work but I sent ya a PM and told ya there hoe to get the info. here's a copy out of the catalog also.

Attachments

• drip rails.jpg
    drip rails.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Gearhead, but I have found the solution !! I'm always looking for cheap or free stuff. So I came across some strut rod at work that will be perfect. A few cuts and a few rolls on the wheel and "viola" drip rails. I'll post pics when I do it. Thanks everyone.

Rail

Well I am no expert but, do you have a pexto bead/crimper? if not got to your sheet metal shop they can help you. Use 20 ga. 3/8 BEAD with a 1/4 in flat and there you have it. Cut off what you dont need and weld. Looks perfect.

Latest posts

Back