May Be Getting A New Member

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Dano!!!

Dano,
We're glad u showed up... sorry about the hangup! Make u're self @ home... great bunch of guys here... lots of help too. Don't be afraid to ask away! Rat on!!!

BoB

Build it.It would be a real nice learning experience for all the students.I think that it somthing that they will never forget and will be able to take that experience into there own projects .It dosent matter what the car looks like in the end,Just as long it has all the saftey aspects incorporated.Are you going to use all new parts or you going to give each builder a list to go to the boneyard and get some old parts? I really wish we had motivated shop teachers as yourself when I was in highscool.Zach has really come along way with that build.He set a time limit and it looks like he is going to keep it.

There is also another shop teacher building a sedan in the washington area.

I almost forgot.Welcome to the forum and dont be afraid to ask questions and post pics of the build.

Last edited:
Dano,
Glad you came over to the light side. Don't be worried about getting bashed over here...SEE, the moderator has this special Vaporizer/ Punk squasher thingie that he uses to get rid of ANY rif raf that might show up....

This place is laid back and smooth. You can even tell the students about us here and they will be welcome as well. Show us some pics of what you have and where you are with your project.

Teach those kids the right way....

Welcome aboard

Hey, you finally got in the door huh? Welcome. We make you jump through some hoops in the beginning to see if you really want in. :rolleyes: (not really)

As for your project, as you have seen by the comments of the other members, we not only like it, but like your motives for doing it. Great way to bond with and reach your students.

Ok, first off, every member of this forum feels that a rat rod has to be built safely and well constructed. It can have some rust, and lack of shiny stuff, but it has to be done so that it will go down the road as it should, and be constructed with generally accepted practices. The old philosophy that some rat rodders had of using things like combination wrenches for steering arms has thankfully gone away for the most part.

First thing you need to determine is what body you want to use, and the final look you desire it to be. Once you have the body, you need to make some other decisions, like what engine and transmission you will use. I also like to get the wheels and tires I am going to be using up front, and mock up the body, engine, and wheels to see what proportions and stance I like.

When that is done, you can start planning on a frame. You can modify an existing frame, like a model A Ford, or build your own from scratch. I have done both, and it is actually cheaper to build a new one from rectangular tubing. It costs about $ 100 for the tubing, and is not all rusty and weakened, like an old frame. I always build my frame from 2 x 4 lumber first, as it is similar in size to the 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 box tubing I will end up using. You can screwgun it together with sheet rock screws, and stand back and see how you like the look. If you want to change it, that is easy in wood.

Front suspension is generally early Ford type with a cross spring setup. A good way to go is a Speedway front setup (get a Speedway catalog) or use original early Ford or other brand parts. The rear axle will need to be somewhat wide if you plan on dropping an early sedan deep. My Son used a Chevy Van rear to give him clearance for his '29 Fordor (pictured below)

I'll let the others chime in and give you more ideas. Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Glad to see you aboard.

Don

PS: Flatbroke brought up a very good point, send the kids here too. We keep the language PG at all times, and they will be very welcome with their questions.

Attachments

• dans fordor side view.jpg
    dans fordor side view.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 5
  • dans fordor front view.jpg
    dans fordor front view.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
  • dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5
  • dans front view.jpg
    dans front view.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 6
  • dans front view 6.jpg
    dans front view 6.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Welcome..

Welcome to the forum, 33dano.
What you have in mind is a great idea and learning experiance for the students.
It will be something that they will remember and can use in their lives.
A couple of us were posting how we wished we had taken metal shop and auto shop in high school.
I sure would like to have that knowledge now, 30+ years later...;)

Welcome 33dano, my thoughts mirrror what the other members have already stated. Take a look around the site if you have not had a chance to, there's some neat stuff to look at. There are good people here that are always willing to lend a hand.

Wow, I just checked out your thread on the HAMB, they are still ranting and raving over there. You sure stirred up a hornet's nest. :D :D

I took the liberty of copying your reply to them, and I hope you don't mind if I post it. I think it says very clearly your goals and logic.

Wow it is so odd for me to read this and think that I am on a car fourm. You sound like a bunch of bickering kids about this idea. Thats fine if you don't like the rat rod look. I know I asked for your thoughts, but to say "crush that car".....You sir are way out of line. I stand back and look at 100's of cars all year long. I like them all, some more then others. I want to pass on the understanding that you do not have to build a car just like all the other ones you see. I have a group of kids that do not come from a high buck end of town. So I want to show them a option that they themselfs can actuly do in real life. I will tell you flat out that these guys will not be driven to build a $30.000 street rod. I do believe there is a art to building a car from a big pile of parts, and not hiding all of it with paint and chrome. But thats just me.

The HAMB is a very very strange place sometimes. There is this little clique there and they hate everything but themselves and their own views. There are some good people there (my Son likes it there) but there are some real idiots too.

Don

So tell us, how are you planning to begin? Are you going to do it this semester or wait til next year? Probably makes sense to collect parts over the summer and start next school year, don't you think?

BTW, I bet if you take your story to the local businesses like junkyards, etc you can score some deals or free parts. Might even want to get the local newspaper to do a story and ask for contributions. Part of my life I was in advertising, and found that on slow news days you could get a sympathetic reporter to do a story on things like this. Plus, the kids would get a real boost out of seeing that happen, I bet.

Don

Well I have been a shop teacher for 23 years now, me and my kids (12th grade) have built a few cars over the years. But when it was all over I felt like they did it for a grade, not cause they wanted to.

This time around I want to let the kids pick the car, I will give them a few options. Maybe 3. There is a budget, a low one. So I was thinking a rat rod would fit right in. The big money on cars is the paint, insides, and wheels. Motors and trannys can be rattled, so can the body of a rat. Will it look nice? I guess it depends on what they want. I truly do think that a fresh out of the barn look would hit them hard. I love the idea of everyone looking at the finished car with that odd look on thier face.

I know that everyone has thier own thoughts on what they would have them build, So I guess my next ? to you guys is what car/truck is the least expensive to get going?

The things I plan on are, a 2x4 frame, a 4 link on air bags...the kids love them! As far as most parts...used is the only way we can do this. BUT there will be new Tires, Brakes and Brake parts, Tempered glass, usable seat belts, and crash proof fuel cell. I would never put these guys...and one girl in any danger.

The more I search for cars to pick, I find myself back to Zach's car on KB. I love it from front to back. You think he would get mad if I used his car as blue prints? LOL well, we will see.

Just another thought as far as scrounging parts. You might want to print up a few flyers about what your doing to hand out at local car shows/cruise nights.

Most people who build their own cars usually have a "someday" pile of parts laying around.......chances are you would get a few responses like you got over on hamb.....but you also stand a good chance of running into guys like are on this forum.

I know if I were approached about a project like this I would be more than willing to donate a bit of my stash.

Project!

Dano,
I'd just like to say... just he fact that you would consider letting the students build a ratty type car speaks volume for you, especially here! Those are some lucky kids! Like u, Besides the cars looking very kool, I like the economic facts too. No expensive paint job, no expensive interior, well really... no expensive anything. They are easier & faster to get on the road, well... sometimes. What a package. I guess since school is ending, this will be a project for next year? What part of the countrry are you in?

BoB

Where are you located? Some States seem to have more old cars sitting around, consequently, better pricing and selection. To answer your question about body type, generally bodies like the Model A Ford sedan, coupe, or pickup bodies are more costly than, let's say, a pickup cab from the late '30's or early '40's. These cabs are becoming more popular to build rods from for a few reasons........availability, price, more interior room, less wood interstructure, and they look cool when done. (Check out Boneheads truck as an example)

The key is finding a body style you want and formulating your plan around that. You mention airbags. Yep, they are cool, but not cheap. When you tally up the components, there is a fair amount of money in these. I understand what you mean about the cool factor of them, my Son's '29 that I pictured is bagged on all four corners, and I'm sure when he pulls into a cruise and lays frame, it will make people want to check it out.

I would suggest you take your kids on a field trip to a cruise or show where some rats will be in attendance. See what turns them on, and use that info to go on.

I've posted these pictures a million times, but since you are new and haven't seen them, I'll put them up again. These will give you some idea of what your frame would need to look like to bag it and let it lay out on the ground. This is my Son's frame, and it is representative of what would fit a typical Model A body, either sedan, coupe, pickup, etc.

Don

Attachments

• dans frame top shot.jpg
    dans frame top shot.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 9
  • dans frame front view.jpg
    dans frame front view.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
  • dans frame rear shot.jpg
    dans frame rear shot.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
  • dans frame zee.jpg