Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop509

Infamous Dirty '34
I am considering getting a bandsaw for the garage mostly for cutting small bracket stuff outa steal and aluminum.

Using hacksaws, grinders, and files just don’t get it anymore.

Thinking about running over to Harbor Freight and buying this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762

I know, I know, Harbor Freight!!!!!!!!!!!! But I gotta tell you, I bought one of their floor standing drill presses (Central Machinery) years ago, I've used the crap out of it, and its never skipped a beat.

What are some of you other guys using? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I've looked at that one and it's bigger Brother when I am in HF, and they really aren't all that bad. Certainly much better than not having one at all. The one thing you will want to do before buying it is make sure you can buy a good quality blade from Sterritt or Lexox for it..........the HF blades last about 5 minutes. :( One Sunday we broke our good blade and I got one of theirs to hold us over, and literally, it lasted 5 minutes before it got dull.

Ours is a Jet, and it operates both vertically and horizontally. No lie, it is the most important piece of equipment in our shop. It literally has been used just about every time we are there, and the quality of our work has gone up now because of being able to cut nicer parts much faster. It is still somewhat limiting on cutting intricate shapes in the vertical mode because the blade is 3/4 thick, most true verticals have a 1/2 inch blade so you can make sharper corners and shapes. However, we still love the one we have.

But I would not be afraid to buy the HF one. It will do lots of things for you and you are not in too deep. Later on, if you decide to move up to another bigger one, it will make a great backup unit.

Here is the one we have:

Attachments

• jet.jpg
    jet.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 27
Don,Does this one have the coolant option?I really need to get one of these.

On the HF saw.I would pass on it.When it comes to shop tools like that.I personally like to spend the money once and get good quality stuff.

I know Jet,Drake and Ellis are really good quality machines.

Yep..... I agree with Old Gold, if you are going to use it for brackets and such for 75%+ of the time I would look at a vertical. The shop I used to work in had a really nice one. We had about 12 fab guys and we would literally stand in line to use it sometimes. I use the plasma cutter at home now but of course theres a little more cleanup. I used to have an old (heavy duty) wood cutting saw that I bought used for really cheap and changed pulleys to slow it down.It worked pretty well. You might keep an eye on the local classifieds or craigs list and get a setup like that for about the same price as the HF one. I am looking for a used one myself.

I bought a used Olsen a few years back, well decades actually. It was a trade in and I found out why. It took a lot of fiddling to get it to cut straight but once it was tuned it stayed that way and was one of my favorite shop tools. I would expect the same from a HF, just get it tuned, maybe replace a bearing here or there otr reinforce it (like you have to do with the bead roller) I like Jet and got to break in a brand new 18" one (wood) and it also took some tuning and upgrading to get it where I wanted it.

Last edited:
Don,Does this one have the coolant option?I really need to get one of these.

It does George, but we have never hooked it up. We don't like the mess of oil all over the parts, so we just cut them dry. Even at that, a good quality blade lasts forever. I bet we only go through one every 8 months or so, and we use the saw a lot.

On thing, I did order extra guide roller bearings from Jet. If you are cutting something and a small portion of the metal goes into the roller it wipes them out sometimes. I have replaced a few rollers so far (like a 5 minute job).

Don

dont do it

Hey 509, I purchased one of those harbor frieght saws, and dont get me wrong Harbor Frieght is not bad on a lot of stuff, but those saws suck. they are way to small, the motor binds, and trying to keep even good blades from popping off is a lot of work. i would look around for a good used one that is bigger and a name brand. JET is great stuff, I got lucky and picked up a big one from a friend of mine, he made me a good deal, the saw needed a little work, but after spending some time cleaning it up and buying a few adjustment wheels it will cut any thing i need.

that just my 2 cents.

Pablo

A word of caution; don't allow someone to touch the piece that is being cut off. I was cutting several short pieces of 2" pipe for a neighbor. He would hold onto each piece as it was cut but then he got a little impatient and lifted up before the cut was through and just wiped out the blade.

Saw

I'm with Don.
I have three band saws and the one I use is my Jet.One of the others is a little smaller and I keep it at a friends house and the other keeps popping the blade off when almost through the cut. The jet has a coolant system but I don't use it either!The BEST saw I have and use all the timeother than the regular band saws is my Portercable Porta-band hand held saw! IT is the best ever for getting into tight places like up under a car to cut exhaust ect.My sawsall works well too but I don't use it that much.

I am considering getting a bandsaw for the garage mostly for cutting small bracket stuff outa steal and aluminum.

Using hacksaws, grinders, and files just don’t get it anymore.

Thinking about running over to Harbor Freight and buying this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762

I know, I know, Harbor Freight!!!!!!!!!!!! But I gotta tell you, I bought one of their floor standing drill presses (Central Machinery) years ago, I've used the crap out of it, and its never skipped a beat.

What are some of you other guys using? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Harbor Freight is pure junk..add a lil more money get a product that will last..band saws should have at least 1 hp.

porta-band

I've wondered how those portaband saws are to use. Bet it would be great also for chopping a top, like for the posts.

Don

OH yea Don I've bought two of them in the past 25 yrs.I wore out the first one and bought another I use it ALL the time.Clamp your piece up in the vice and go cutting on it.We have one at work too that I use when I make hand rail,because I use it to cut 45 deg. angles and stuff.Millwauki makes a deep throat model but it is harder to handle straight cuts.PorterCable has a 4 in. throat and works very well!

I have the smaller Millwauke portaband, I don't know how I got along without it. There are times when it is the very best tool for the job.

Thanks for the responses.

I tend to agree with Old Gold, a vertical unit would probably be what I would want.

Took a look at Jet models online.
More than I wanted to spend, but it’s only money right? :D
Think I’ll do some looking around and maybe I can locate something used.

Later....

i have a Jet and it's ok, but not great, i find it will not cut a true 90*. good saws are expensive, and with all equipment you get what you pay for. i use mine a lot, and i plan on a better one one day soon.

Try

I was also looking for one as have one in our shop...its Jet.Its ok...BUT I will warn you...DONT buy HF.Not worth the gas money to go get it.Northen tools has a few on sale...and I will probaly buy this one ..a Grizzly.Saw it on Amazon for 149.00.Nice and small...got great reviews too.

Latest posts

Back