Looking for a drill press, suggestions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I'm looking to buy a drill press. Been looking at craigslist and eBay, enough variety to blow your mind, as well as a variety in prices. I'm looking to spend no more than $150, new or used doesn't matter as long as it's in good shape. Bench top or floor model doesn't matter too much either. I know some brands are better than others, and some, like Harbor Freight's Central brand are known to be Chinese junk. What are some brands to look for that won't kill my budget but are better than the HF crap? I'm thinking Craftsman or Delta for sure, but what about Bench Top, Skil, and Wen? Any good? What size should I be looking for, 8" or 10" or ? More speeds or less? Thanks in advance for any ideas! :)

I have a Ridgid stationary setup in my garage, and I have no complaints so far, its more than you are looking to spend, but perhaps a used one.

5311d662-1577-4677-a31d-9042acc71eef_1000.jpg

I just bought a industrial one at auction to replace my current one. If you was closer I would let you have my old one for cheap.

I have had a Delta floor model for over 20 years and it has been fine, but one night I was in Sears and they had a display marked down because there was one little broken part on it, so I bought it and gave the Delta to my one Son. I bought a new part for it and like it because it has a deeper throat and other features like a light and depth gauges for repeatability.

As long as you stay with a name brand you will be fine, even in a used on off of CL.

Don

I picked up a used 1950's Craftsman 150 floor model off of CL for $150 and did a light restoration on it. I'm very pleased with it and it works great!

I work mostly with metal so I need slower speeds than it offered. I made my own low speed conversion for next to nothing. It was very simple to make.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154307

When looking for a used DP make sure there's no wobble in the chuck and it spins true. Listen for bearing noise also. If you've got wobble or noise that probably means a rebuild. Bearings can usually be found at a good bearing supply house.

I did find this Rockwell on your local CL. The older Rockwells were well made quality pieces. The table is trashed but that can easily be replaced. Looks to be very well used and probably needs a complete rebuild! It's also way overpriced for it's condition. I'd offer her $75. There's probably others out there in better shape.
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/4160619342.html

I have the same Rigid DP, but it is older, I hear the newer ones are not as good. I have used mine hard, daily, for years. It has been solid

Please keep the laughter to a dull roar, I use a little bench top dude most of the time. Half inch chuck, three inch throw. Does most of what I want to do have had it for about 12 years, no complaints.

But I have a full shop at my disposal I can use whenever I want also.

I haven't looked on the Huntsville CL recently, there about 2 hours north of me. Tuscaloosa and Birmingham are way closer, 40 and 80 miles respectively. I'll have to expand my search a little since Y'all have given me some ideas on what to look for. Thanks ![cl

bobby take a look at tractor and supply, it is a clark brand. we have had a clark band saw before was a good saw till i wore it out over a five year span, but that is in a metal shop.

Bought one today

I pulled the trigger on a new Craftsman today. 10", 1/2 hp motor, bench model. Got it for a little bit less than what I was wanting to max out at. Got to put it all together now. One year warranty, so if it's junk, it will go back.

Latest posts

Back