Mig welder from Northern Tool ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Murphy

Northern Tool is selling their Northern Industrial mig welder model # Mig-135, 22-135 amp, 115 volt, flux core for $349.99. Inlcudes free shipping and a $80.00 welding stand.

Anyone know who makes this welder?

The front panel looks very similar to a Lincoln.

If it were me, I would spend a little extra and get a Hobart Handler 140. You can get one on eBay for $430: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-Handler-...mQQptZBI_Welding_Supplies?hash=item5636726a8e

I'm not a fan of Lincoln welder, especially the smaller ones. They seem to work OK longer beads, but I've always had problems when doing tack welds and sheet metal work. The wire would either burn back into the tip or the weld would be very cold and weak. I had a Lincoln 135T MIG back in the day that I sold for this reason. My friend has a Home Depot Lincoln MIG and it does the same thing.

If I were you, I would stay away from Lincoln and the no-name Chinese stuff. I can only recommend 3 brands: Miller/Hobart, HTP and Thermal Arc.

Best of luck! :)

The front panel looks very similar to a Lincoln.

If it were me, I would spend a little extra and get a Hobart Handler 140. You can get one on eBay for $430: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-Handler-...mQQptZBI_Welding_Supplies?hash=item5636726a8e

I'm not a fan of Lincoln welder, especially the smaller ones. They seem to work OK longer beads, but I've always had problems when doing tack welds and sheet metal work. The wire would either burn back into the tip or the weld would be very cold and weak. I had a Lincoln 135T MIG back in the day that I sold for this reason. My friend has a Home Depot Lincoln MIG and it does the same thing.

If I were you, I would stay away from Lincoln and the no-name Chinese stuff. I can only recommend 3 brands: Miller/Hobart, HTP and Thermal Arc.

Best of luck! :)

I agree that hobart is a nice unit I fired a new one up for a friend that was learning to weld for the first time and he built a whole pipe coral set up Ed he got it at Harbor Freight. ED

I think you will be disappointed with any brand flux core mig [by the way Mig.. stands for Microwire Inert Gas]. This is an investment that will last a very long time if you buy quality, and get a gas shielded mig built by a brand name manufacturer. I know few friends that have Lincoln are happy with them.

CHINESE !!!

I just called Northern Tool to find out where their Northern Industrial welders come from... CHINA !!!

I figger I buy the Hobart from ebay I'll be able to get it repaired at any Hobart dealer.[S

Welder

Just found a new Hobart Handler 140 mod 500500 for $370.93 from Sears.

Also found a "lightly used" Millermatic 140/auto set with 2 spools of wire and gas tank for $550.00.

Both machines are 115 volt, wadaya think?

I meant to post earlier that the Northern does say china on the front.

Young welder dude here where I work reccomends Millers

Just found a new Hobart Handler 140 mod 500500 for $370.93 from Sears.

Also found a "lightly used" Millermatic 140/auto set with 2 spools of wire and gas tank for $550.00.

Both machines are 115 volt, wadaya think?

They're pretty much the same welder. The only difference is that Miller has infinite heat adjustment and Hobart doesn't. That's all! By the time you buy gas and wire for your welder, you would be at ~$500.

If it were me, I would talk the Miller guy down to $450-500 and buy the Miller unit. If you decided to sell your welder down the road, Millers sell better.

Just out of curiousity, what are you going to be using this welder for?

welder

Just got back from Reno with the Miller 140, 3 spools of wire and a small gas bottle, has 1 hour on the welder and I got it for $450.00.[;)

Also got a Speedglas 9000X helmet with curtains and air flow for $100.00.

On my second stop in Reno I picked up a 1947 Chevy windshield sun visor (adjustable) for my 50 Stude pickup.
Its been a good day...:D

i dont like the voices i hear in your head...[ddd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back