Mississippi Has Banned Nitrous In Street Cars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpyoldman

Mississippi Becomes the Thirty-Ninth State To Ban Nitrous In Street Cars

The Mississippi legislature recently passed the Trooper Steve Hood Act: The Nitrous Prohibition Act. The law is named after a state trooper who died in a high speed chase while in pursuit of a nitrous equipped vehicle. This law does not ban the use of nitrous at race tracks or on race cars, but it does make it illegal to have a functioning nitrous system in your street car.

While we certainly hate to see restrictions placed on vehicle performance and aftermarket companies hampered, the law makes some sense. We feel awful for the family of trooper Hood, who was 50 years old at the time of his death and was very close to retiring from the force.

What was not made clear in any of the stories we read was exactly how the law reads and how it is to be enforced. The penalties are stiff for violators. The first offense could land the driver in the clink for 48 hours and fined up to $1,000. A second violation could earn a year in jail and a third could result in up to five years.

In many states, the nitrous system can be in the car so long a bottle is not connected and ready for use. Seeing as though this is a law fresh in the minds of law enforcement and represents an emotional event for the Mississippi State Troopers, we'd stow our bottle well away from the mount when headed to the race track.

Fatal Crash Behind Bill:http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100209/NEWS010504/2090359/Fatal-crash-behind-bill

Mississippi Becomes the Thirty-Ninth State To Ban Nitrous In Street Cars

In many states, the nitrous system can be in the car so long a bottle is not connected and ready for use. Seeing as though this is a law fresh in the minds of law enforcement and represents an emotional event for the Mississippi State Troopers, we'd stow our bottle well away from the mount when headed to the race track.

i wonder if they would consider it a functional system if the bottle were in the bed of the truck and connected but not open. Without a remote bottle opener then makes it rather impossible to open the bottle while driving. the bottle might be connected, but it is not ready for use. Last i checked it is still legal to have in Florida, and i dont have it on my f250 so it really doesnt matter to me, but im sure there are some that will be looking into this a little more.

That is about like anti gun laws. Ban the product instead of punishing the person who used it wrong. Next it will be blowers and turbos, then it will be engines that make over 200 hp.

What really doesn't make sense to me is why did the Trooper get into a high-speed chase with the car in the first place? What he couldn't get close enough to get the TAG # and use his Radio to call it in. Then let someone else get the driver someplace down the road.

There are alot of cars out there that don't need a bottle to get into a high speed chase, maybe they should outlaw round tires, that would slow people down.

There are alot of cars out there that don't need a bottle to get into a high speed chase, maybe they should outlaw round tires, that would slow people down.

It doesn't take a whole lot to outrun a crown vic with 600lbs of police gear bolted to it.

I'm just glad the lawmakers don't understand cars. Merely having nitrous does not turn any car into a 200 mph supercar. Add nitrous to a 100hp Corolla and you get....a 130hp Corolla...for 30 seconds.

If they are going to ban nitrous on street cars, what about good old high horsepower cars that are faster then a car with nitrous.:confused: Or even the goobers on crotch rocket bikes. I see more of them running from cops then a car. Sometime I wonder who comes up with the ideas of what to outlaw.
Tim

This is what is wrong with our country right now. I certainly feel bad for the troopers family, but you know what? This is not going to save one persons life, not one. I grew out of street racing, so I have no need to carry a bottle around on the street anymore, but we all know, the nitrous isn't the problem. Crack down on street racing and give the kids an affordable track to race at that's not an hour and a half away. All we do in this country is wait for stuff to happen and then act on it inappropriatly, not matter if it's terrorism or street racing.

This is what is wrong with our country right now. I certainly feel bad for the troopers family, but you know what? This is not going to save one persons life, not one. I grew out of street racing, so I have no need to carry a bottle around on the street anymore, but we all know, the nitrous isn't the problem. Crack down on street racing and give the kids an affordable track to race at that's not an hour and a half away. All we do in this country is wait for stuff to happen and then act on it inappropriatly, not matter if it's terrorism or street racing.

You're right! We are reactive instead of proactive ! Can't find a cheap enough place to race is the problem of many. It costs an arm and a leg to go to a legitimate drag strip. I can't even afford it as much I used to. And Big Irish is right about the 30 second blast! Too many TV shows have a car going 150 mph for 30 minutes with Nitrous...doesn't happen!!!we know this, but I'm not sure the law makers do...CR

just goes to prove how out of touch lawmakers are with anything,, profeesional politicains, are not my peers!, they do not represent me of my concerns! i worked with law enforcement and they dont always use the best judgement , i know a guy, who was sitting at a stop sign on the other side of the railroad track, a state trooper was chasing another car, at over 80 on a 2lane back road, not much more than a gravel road, the perp went air born right on the guys car! messed him up bad!,, the thing is there was no where for the guy to run no where to hide, if the cop would have backed off the guy would have still been caught at the end of the road!

and another time, one cop went off road ,had lost site of the car but kept flying along, thru a feild and ended up in the creek wide open!,, there was only one way into the feild, and one way out!

not the best judgement!,
dont know bought yall but my life and other mean more to me than making a collar!,
sometime you have to react sometime you have to think first!, and you better know the difference, cause it can get folks killed fast!

oh and by the way, the guy who was hit at the railroad won a lawsiut against the state for 3million! , said the officer act irresponsiblie in chasing the car at those speed on a back road!

rant over!:D

I've seen people driving on squared off rims. It slowed them down, but didn't make them less stupid!

As for the law, it's just another example of 'public outcry' forcing politicians to do something they realize is useless.

I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to fussing about the goverment , I do vote , maybe I need to step it up a notch and make my voice a little louder . I am very lucky to live in a state like alabama where the population is not as high as say california , along with the high population comes stricter laws and more regulations . I guess it's just around the corner for me as well . Hopefuly we as a group keep our noses clean , maybe we won't be singled out with our style of cars and trucks

i dont like banning issues as much as the next believe me -- but on the other hand, ive never known of anyone that had nitrous hooked up and ready to go in a street car that had any intentions of using it legally either... as far as building more areas to race -- this SHOULD be an easy solution... but we all know how unlikely it is --- i cant say for certain but i would imagine that drags strip cost an arm and a leg due to the likely hood of lawsuits and the amount of insurance something like that has to carry....

still quite ridiculous that because of one death that may or may not have been avoided the lawmakers feel it is a pressing enough issue to outlaw something ...

as for a "high speed chase" -- always seemed like a way to up the chances of a tragic accident to happen rather than prevent one from happening .. but thats just my 2 cents.

did you guys know *according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons* that approx 300 persons die each year from ladder related injuries...

should outlaw ignorance and sheer stupidity that would be way more effective.

here's my rant

well after reading this, a few thoughts come to mind....

1. why was the guy trying to outrun the cop? speeding? drugs/alcohol? out of date tags? sheer stupidity?
yet the NOS gets the blame....[S

2. why was the officer killed in the chase-no offense to his family, but was it an unavoidable crash with the nos infected car, or driver error? i've seen way too many cops/firefighters/firstresponder-types who are just looking for an excuse to drive fast--an excuse--not a legitimate reason
yet the NOS gets the blame....[S

"Hood, a 26-year veteran of Highway Patrol, died May 29 after his vehicle left the highway and hit a tree by Brice's Crossroads Military Park near the border of Lee and Prentiss counties."
(found in article--how did the NOS cause that?-is that not a legitimate question?)

3. does it really make that big of a deal that NOS is banned on streetcars to me? no, i see it as just the government, in an political situation, attempting to make a type of restitution for the loss of a life--i personally think it should be carefully examined, and understood there's a WHO involved in this crash more than the WHAT (NOS)

4. i am certainly glad that the guy wasn't chewing orbitz gum when the crash happened--i would hate to see gum-chewing-while-driving banned;):confused:

and you guys are certainly right, IMO, there is little chance a law like this will actually save anyone's life.....square tires, though, that would help

What are the Police gonna do, pull people over and make them open their hoods and trunks to check for Nitrous?[S......I like the square tire idea![cl...CR

This is no BS... my buddy's mother did not drive on the freeway all of her adult life because she had a friend that died in a car wreck on the freeway! Maybe they should outlaw freeways... go figure!!!

BoB

Latest posts

Back