more car fun....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

So after about 16-18 hours invested this weekend, I still have not gotten my thunderbird to run, I ripped into it for about 10 hours yesterday, pulled the valve covers, tightned all of my rocker arms down, found on that had the nut come off..... no damage I'm still hoping. Then replaced the old carb with my newly rebuilt holly 500 double pumper, and swapped out 6/8 spark plugs... the other 2 refused to come out and had no real way to get at them anyway. So after all that I got it running, poorly ill add, and adjusted me timing, it still ran poorly so I seafoamed it, partly for carbon and party due to some peices of my old air filter then engine sucked up. After putting in the seafoam, I could not get it to start,not even while trying to jump it, so after letting it sit all night/day I'm gonna try again tonight.

Loose rockers will drop a push rod - too tight will get ya all jammed up. If you get it going again - stick a vacuum gauge on it - that can tell you a lot. Sounds like you might have soaked the plugs or just flooded it out with the seafoam - time will tell eh?

At least it ran once, so it'll run again.

seafoam is some goos stuff. i have fixed many of misfires at work on chevy 5.3 and jeep 4.0 by doing a top engine cleaning with that stuff.

good luck. getting it running. pull the plugs and clean them off with some heat. then with them all out turn the engine over to blow out what you may have in there.

Loosen the rocker arms again and spin the pushrods as you tighten them down, when you feel friction then go 1/2 turn more. This will give you a good safe point to run your engine and warm it up to readjust them. Remove the fuel line and plumb in a temporary fuel source also. Diagnose 1 problem at a time.
Jmo
& hope i helped
bob

Latest posts

Back