My 1967 White TD9500

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkdealer2

Hi All, Thought I'd start a build thread here to give a semi some exposure. I'm startin' with a truck I found on the side of the road and drove home after it sat for about 15 years.

Attachments

• 082607_13412.JPG
    082607_13412.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 082607_13413.JPG
    082607_13413.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 082607_13401.jpg
    082607_13401.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 93
The front swings on a 4-link, panhard bar setup ahead of the main rails. There is a 2X6 riser kicking forward off the 3X8 main rails that supports an upper bag plate with a sway bar across the top. I picked this "street rod style" design purely for the low height of frame rail that can be achieved. The top of the frame table equals the ground which shows how low the finished truck will sit. The axle mounts up the spindles and hubs to set the height of the upper bag support for the front 8R19.5's. The bags I've picked have a internal bumper at 4 1/2 inches locating the bag plates front and rear. The rear will hang on a trianglulated 4 link behind the Z'ed section(20 inches of rise) and have bag plates mounted to the rear side of the rear axle and to the underside of the frame rails. The rear will roll on 385/65R22.5's. The frame will slam to the ground allowing the Cummins NTC-475(twin turbo/MVT) engine to be worked on while seated which will be rare in a semi. A 14608LL trans will provide the ratios. The space between the cab and the ground will be filled by the battery box( 4-Group 31's) from the Pete that donated the engine and a 7" pipe will complete the exhaust on the passenger side. I've had the original radiator reworked adding 2 extra rows and have a charge cooler from a later Freightliner. The grill I've selected is from a White articulating farm tractor and it supports a pair of Pete single round headlights/brackets. More pics to come as the frame will go to the blaster later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Oh Yeah!

Great project. Sounds like its gonna be awesome. I sold Freightliners (and all brands of used) trucks for ten years, 1992-2002. I'm really gonna enjoy watching your build.:D:D:D

And welcome to RRR.

Lynn

Been pullin' the body and engine for the frames trip to the blaster/painter and then it'll be on to assembly of the chassis. It should be a roller in a couple of weeks. When it comes to the body, the door art will never leave, you can't mess with Freddie (AKA Fast Freddie!) but the lettering across the top of the door will change. As for the rest of the cab, one hole around the windshield will be repaired and the fix allowed to rust but the other spots will not be repaired as long as they dont let in water. The floor must be modified to allow the trans to fit where the cylinder heads used to be but that means a simple step and new shifter location, still deciding between a single stick or one of the multiple stick kits for the 14608LL. I'm headin' to Charlotte next week to search for windshield rubber and some other replacement rubber parts that I need for the cab. I cant believe there aren't any aftermarket supporters for White Trucks, aren't they as popular as a Camaro !!LOL!!

edit: Oh yea, The wheelbase will be 202 1/2 inches!!

Attachments

• 082607_13413.JPG
    082607_13413.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Window rubber

Hey Junkdealer2
From my experience selling trucks, I found that one manufacturer made cabs for many different brands. Fisher Body made some. American Standard made some. Your cab looks very similar to an Autocar and an International. Also some Freightliners, some years, were the same as White. You might try an IHC or Freightliner dealer. They can't look up anything without a serial number but maybe you can get someone to try......it's worth a shot.

Also, Soffseal may make a universal seal you can use. You'll just have to go by looks....sumthin that looks like yours.

I hope this helps.

Lynn

I've been hard at it puttin' the roller together and the chassis is done except for the driveshaft, which is being welded as I type, and its time to post more pics. The body is mounted for the last time and the pics are at ride height. I was worried that a 100 gallon tank might be too big but it looks about right.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 88
Pics are a little small (yes, I did click on them), but it looks awesome. I like it a lot. I also think the tank fits.

"chassis is done except for the driveshaft, which is being welded as I type,"
:eek: You're more talented than I am, typin and weldin at the same time [ddev
That rig is the bomb [cl

Jim

I'm really not that good at typing, LOL. The driveshaft and radiator are two of just a few things that I have to farm out. I've been real lucky too develop strong relationships with outside suppliers (30 years with the driveshaft guys) that I can count on for quality products to bolt or weld on to the hot rods leaving the shop.
I'd like to post a bigger pic but not sure how. I'm gonna tag this thing as an antique, I've already got the insurance and a clear title in my name so its just a trip to the DMV for the tags. I figure a hundred mile per hour pass through the scales should serve as an introduction for the weight guys, cant wait for their reaction, LOL. Since its an antique and for noncomercial use they cant give me grief, but they might try.

I've got some new pics. Lets try this size and see if its better.
These pics are of the clutch linkage, note the fab'ed arm on the clutch release pivot, tried three yards for a factory piece that would work with no luck. Thats 1.500 dia .250 wall DOM 1.25 long and 5/16 plate, the bolt keys on a flat on the pivot arm.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back