My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by and checked on her yesterday.

Cheap solar charger is still doing its job. Flashing blue light and voltage output alive. So despite the reviews on the HF website, so far it has my vote as a good investment! Dropped off a couple things to be installed on my next trip. First is my new to me 47 MI license plate.

Next is my emergency get home idea/ convenience lift option. Since the then sits on the ground and is such a bear to lift unless you can pump up the bags, I decided some sort of specific jack for the front was in order. The other day when I was at the local pick and pull I picked up a $2 space saver jack. I trimmed up the lift plate and welded on a piece of 1/8" plate with a couple holes in it. Under the grill there is a tube that I typically jack the car from. The idea is that I am going to bolt the jack to the tube using some aircraft nuts so it never falls off and it will never be seen there either. Next I am going to build a special linkage so that I can get to it and crank it up. [;)

2012-11-08_12-48-11_485.jpg

Still waiting on my flanges.... :(

probably a good plan, air bags/lines do fail at times...

I figure this way I can jack it up and throw a chain around axle to frame, just as like an emergency go home mode. Plus I always leave it on blocks so that the bags don't sit wrinkled and wind up dry rotting. Now I can just crank up the jack and let it sit.

what are you looking for on the brackets? you have a drawing of them or?

Don't need any brackets, need flanges. They are so I can start the super setup and header. I have gaskets to use as templates, no drawings.

The strangest picture came to mind about the air bags failing...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH Sorry....:eek:

Attachments

• airplane.jpg
    airplane.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Airplane-autopilot.jpg
    Airplane-autopilot.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 37
Went to work on this yesterday....... Unfortunately when I started to get it off the ground was when I realized...... I left my tool bag at home.... [S

On the upside to this I did get myself a new way to lift this to a spot that I can work on it.

2012-11-13_15-41-04_771.jpg

My bran new to me rat rod lift!!! and wow does this thing work great!!! for a mere $60 I think it was a great buy! I can lift the car about 3ft up with that with effortless ease!!! So now the car is in the air, but no progress made on fixing leaks.... Hopefully next time.

is it air over hydraulic or ? I would love to have something like that...

I think eventually I might get a low profile 4 wheel lift so I can at least bring the cars up high enough to roll the creeper under with me on the creeper =)

is it air over hydraulic or ? I would love to have something like that...

I think eventually I might get a low profile 4 wheel lift so I can at least bring the cars up high enough to roll the creeper under with me on the creeper =)

Its hydraulic. I think it was a good investments, so far, no complaints. Think a fresh coat of paint, and some bigger wheels, and this thing will be great!!!

I also have a big sicsor lift that one day when I get a shop I am going to sink in the floor and be able to use. It uses air bags to lift and gets up about 4ft. Never used it, had it for year and a half or so. Another smoking deal, picked it up for $75!!! The guy was going to scrap it, nothing wrong with it. I told him I would give him scrap price for it he said ok! Although I think I cheated him a bit soooooo, oh well we were both happy. Me because I got it and him because he didn't have to move it!! (It's pretty dang heavy!!)

cool jack!
I'll give you money back for it but you'll have to pay the freigght.
Deal or no Deal?

POPS

Ummmmm................ NO WAY!!!

Very good deal....

As you said, a little paint, some bigger wheels and she'll be like new again....very nice score...and.....the Price is Right....:D .....get it?? Deal or no Deal....Price is Right....oh forget it....

As you said, a little paint, some bigger wheels and she'll be like new again....very nice score...and.....the Price is Right....:D .....get it?? Deal or no Deal....Price is Right....oh forget it....

wow sarge....... :rolleyes:

I am thinking I might try and build a little lift platform for that and use it to hoist up my bike and work on it. I think this thing well become one of my new best friends!!!

Well stopped and pulled the cover back on the old girl. She is still patiently waiting for me to come rescue her and get her new trans seal in place so she can hit the road. I really want to work on her and get her going, but with it being so dang cold lately I just haven't had the nerve. I figured stopping and looking at her might give me some renewed interest. Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate!

Side note, my little battery tender is still plugging away. Kind of shocked.....

Well, finally got up the gumption to go take a peak at the old girl..... First needed to get it to a more manageable work hieght.

IMG_20130214_114128_449_zpsb287655e.jpg

Much better!! I built some stands for the front that are 18" tall, they work pretty well. And for all those that saw the picture of my big old bumper lift that I bought a while back, it works great!!

IMG_20130214_114349_061_zpsa5ffd258.jpg

Now it was time to address that big pool of tranny fluid underneath the old girl. Pulled the drive shaft out and with that done it was easy to spot what had happened....

IMG_20130214_122017_523_zpse5f24d76.jpg

The picture is not too clear, but obviously there was some driveshaft to tranny contact that had went on there. So apparently when the four link went on it now had enough travel in the rear end to make the drive shaft too long..... Talked to the guy that I bought the car from, also the guy that helped set up the four link, and he goes "Wow I feel like a jacka$$". Luckily the car was not driven very far so no serious damage was done. Now I need to take the drive shaft some where and get it cut down. That should solve most of the leak issue, the other will be to fix the tranny lines then I will be that much closer to cruising down the road!!!
burnrubber.gif

forgot, scored a nice old tach to put in it and a sediment bulb (always thought those were neat). My buddy that saved all this stuff from the junk found them in the boxes of junk. Not a bad find for free!! I just wonder if it can be used on a six cylinder....????

IMG_20130213_172404_810_zps40b03d8d.jpg

forgot, scored a nice old tach to put in it and a sediment bulb (always thought those were neat). My buddy that saved all this stuff from the junk found them in the boxes of junk. Not a bad find for free!! I just wonder if it can be used on a six cylinder....????

IMG_20130213_172404_810_zps40b03d8d.jpg

How much travel do you have on your rear bags? Just trying to avoid the same issue when I make my drive shaft.

Cool old tach. Is it electrical or manual?

Keep pushing.

POPS

How much travel do you have on your rear bags? Just trying to avoid the same issue when I make my drive shaft.

Cool old tach. Is it electrical or manual?

Keep pushing.

POPS

I think my bags have 9" of travel but it is only like 7" really usable. I think the tach is electrical, I don't see any spot to put in a cable......

Can't wait to see this build in person! Cool find on the Tach!

Yeah I hope you like it. It is times like these that make me think it will never be done though.... :(

Indeed, everyone has things they are good at, and when a build is someone's first, you can typically look back at what you built and see things you would have done differently... I know there are things I built that I would now do differently, knowing what I know now, and with better skills now.. I think that is why it feels like things take so long to complete these days, as more time and thought is put into everything on the build....

Carry on man, you are not far at all from cruising in that sweet ride! :)

Latest posts

Back