My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went back to check on her again yesterday. It was still levitating which made me happy that she hadn't fell and hurt herself. Feel a little better because I built a set of stands for the back that are more of a wheel chock design and slid them under. I feel pretty secure sliding under her like that now.

Unfortunately I did not get the chance to slide under her because I got wrapped up into doing a couple other things yesterday. So now the new plan is I am going down Monday or Tuesday to measure the drive shaft and see if I can get it cut down to a correct length then pop in the new seal.

Also I hope to meet with the guy to get her appraised for insurance and titling reasons. I swear to myself this old girl will be cruising down the road THIS SUMMER!!! I can't wait!

Love the Truck!

I like the Dodges of those years...reminds me of earlier times in my youth. My Dad had one in 4x4 back in the early Fifties.
Yours is Sweeeet. Keep us up on the futures progress, ok?
later

I went and checked things out yesterday. From bags fully compressed to fully inflated my axle moves one inch. When the bags are fully inflated is when it is the closest to the trans. That being said I measured things up and when the bags are fully blown up the driveshaft is half an inch too long. Measured 38" max length on trans to axle and the drive shaft measuring in the same spots was 38 1/2". That being said the seal has a 1" balloon deal that sticks out the back so I am going to have a new shaft made 2" shorter or have that one cut down 2". The shaft has a 4" slip yolk so it should never be a problem

Maybe I bumped my head today, but when you pump the bags up should't the point between the transmission tail shaft and the rear end get longer? Reads: body goes up, trans goes up axle stays.. that length should increase, meaning the driveshaft should be sliding out of the trans on the slip yoke...

Maybe I bumped my head today, but when you pump the bags up should't the point between the transmission tail shaft and the rear end get longer?

I think you did LOL....... draw a picture and look at it again. As the car lifts the four link allows the axle to swing forward. If the links were mounted backwards on the back side of the axle to the rear of the frame it would get longer.

I think you did LOL....... draw a picture and look at it again. As the car lifts the four link allows the axle to swing forward. If the links were mounted backwards on the back side of the axle to the rear of the frame it would get longer.

Huh? What you talking bout Willis?
You lost me a drawing the picture.

Hmmm, I guess the shorter your 4 link arms are, the worse that would make it...
And how severe the angle of the 4 link arms are with the great amount of travel you have....

And now that I think about it, I think when I had my suspension ratchet strapped down to ride height, the driveshaft length was right, but when I let the suspension free, the driveshaft was too long like you are describing....

TA DA!!!!! You got it!!! With my four link bars only being about 13" when the suspension moves my driveshaft length changes a bunch...... well for no more travel that it gets.

Sounds like you will be in the same boat as me, might want to give that a second look before you take it for its first ride! Wish I would have.

TA DA!!!!! You got it!!! With my four link bars only being about 13" when the suspension moves my driveshaft length changes a bunch...... well for no more travel that it gets.

Sounds like you will be in the same boat as me, might want to give that a second look before you take it for its first ride! Wish I would have.

My driveshaft is just rough cut, with no end on the diff side... =)
I don't get them made until I have the truck at ride height....

Latest posts

Back