My '42 Chevy pickup build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insurance?

Hey can anyone help me out as far as an insurance company I can go thru with my truck I tried Hagerty and because I have a few things on my driving record they can't cover me so I am gonna be forced to go with a regular insurance company so any help would be cool

Hey Lucky Devil 13 Try these guys,They are covering me on my sedan and it's only $250 a yr. for $15,000 coverage
The Co. is in Cin.Ohio American Modern Insurance Co. 866-884-6167

Well more bad news :( Had the glass guy come by today to start on my windshield and the upper angle of the opening isn't the same as the bottom of the windshield opening so the glass wont lay flat on the top there is a
3/4" gap at the top in the middle where the glass meets :(

Don't know what I am gonna do now

are you using the rubber weatherstrip or urethane??

Well more bad news :( Had the glass guy come by today to start on my windshield and the upper angle of the opening isn't the same as the bottom of the windshield opening so the glass wont lay flat on the top there is a
3/4" gap at the top in the middle where the glass meets :(

Don't know what I am gonna do now

If you are using urethane, then you can fix the angle by bedding the glass...I can give you some insight to that if you are doing the urethane thing.....

Kind of goes like this....readers digest version...

The plexi was just for the template

What do you mean by bedding the glass??

You test fit the glass....note the high spots and then in the areas that it's low (has the gap) You wrap the glass in saran wrap being careful to cover the areas where you need to fill more is better... mix up some fiberglass reinforced filler and from the inside, fill the areas by packing in the filler making it fll the gap......then when it starts to firm up but before it hardens..(rubbery state) you carefully remove the glass.... this should provide you with a level area to seat the glass...let it harden, smooth it and test fit the glass again...if it's flat and level with no gap your good...if not, do the saran wrap thing again and until you have a flat surface for the glass to sit....does that make sense???? [S

Got a big hammer? It's a rat right? Might do what you can before you go with Sarge's technique. Black GE silicone in a caulking gun will fill any gaps,seal and secure it. Just have to clean it out and replace it every couple of years.

Yeah, I guess I kinda did the custom thing.....

Got a big hammer? It's a rat right? Might do what you can before you go with Sarge's technique. Black GE silicone in a caulking gun will fill any gaps,seal and secure it. Just have to clean it out and replace it every couple of years.

not the RR thing.....lol....I'm sure that you are right Eman....black silicone does hide a multitude of sins.....LOL.... either way, I'm sure he'll get it sorted out....[cl

You test fit the glass....note the high spots and then in the areas that it's low (has the gap) You wrap the glass in saran wrap being careful to cover the areas where you need to fill more is better... mix up some fiberglass reinforced filler and from the inside, fill the areas by packing in the filler making it fll the gap......then when it starts to firm up but before it hardens..(rubbery state) you carefully remove the glass.... this should provide you with a level area to seat the glass...let it harden, smooth it and test fit the glass again...if it's flat and level with no gap your good...if not, do the saran wrap thing again and until you have a flat surface for the glass to sit....does that make sense???? [S

Yeah that makes sense thanx Sarge :)

Well the 42 is gonna be going into storage soon now won't have it out this year - I figure I'll finish up what nees to be finished and then off to storage

Hey Lucky, I had some time (rare for me) the other day so I went through your build. I didn't comment too much during your build, but after going through it I wanted to tell ya how impressed I am with it. You did a great job man and you should be proud of it. [cl

Hey Lucky, I had some time (rare for me) the other day so I went through your build. I didn't comment too much during your build, but after going through it I wanted to tell ya how impressed I am with it. You did a great job man and you should be proud of it. [cl

Thanx bro!! I am very proud of what I did I never imagined that I would build a car from the ground up :)

Aww come on! Don't do it. There is always little things you can do that don't cost big$ or any at all.

Well I am gonna finish up what I need to now and since this insurance crap is not going well I am gonna put it in storage so I can start on the 57 chevy wagon I just got :)

I have State Farm on both of my Camaro's. They have classic policies too. I also used them on my 31 sedan. I was thinking about using Haggerty because of the better mileage usage and coverage this time.

I have State Farm on both of my Camaro's. They have classic policies too. I also used them on my 31 sedan. I was thinking about using Haggerty because of the better mileage usage and coverage this time.

Yeah I have called about every insurance company I could find and none of them will cover me because I have 2 tickets in the past 2 yrs - 1 was a no insurance and the other was a suspension so I am kinda screwed for now

Hagerty goes back 5 yrs, grundy goes back 3 - Don't know what else to do now

Have you tried Dairyland Auto. There on the web. That sucks about the glass, I know you don't want to cut it but now may be a good time. BTW nice score on the 57.

Latest posts

Back