My Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really is coming together nicely. How heavy is your removable top Doug?

Sorry for not getting back sooner it's 43lb not too heavy, but it's too big for me to put on by myself without the chance of scraching the body up. I should be ready with pic of it finished and on next week Doug

Wow, Doug you are a super craftsman! Outstanding imagination. I am not turned on by open cars, but this one has captured my heart! I love how it is high on the sides, I would feel more secure riding in it than those T Buckets that are as high as your knee. Makes me want to cut down my '47 and copy it! Really nice build, great scheme. I love it all. Regards, Perley

Sorry for takeing so long to get back on line.(we are dealing with health problems here) I'v been able to do a few small time consuming work.the alum panels are in as is the dash. now I will take them out and do some ingraving on each piece then insulate the body and install them back. I finshed my steering and it turned out well. its a little quicker than my ford ranger but I'm sure I'll get use to it. due to the rust in the 10 bolt rear end I had I had to replace all the bearings ,ring & pinion, axels. to the tune of $750.00 but its now a new 3.42-posi 8 1/2'' 10 bolt with disk brakes. :)

Attachments

• DCP00919.JPG
    DCP00919.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DCP00920.JPG
    DCP00920.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DCP00928.JPG
    DCP00928.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DCP00948.JPG
    DCP00948.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 70
  • DCP00931.JPG
    DCP00931.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 95
The next picture is my little Sweetpea worring over the money I'm spending as you can see I've driven her to drink:D I work all alone so to install the rear end I built a fixture to mount on my floor jack to put it in place. worked cool:p the top is finshed except the insaulation on the inside. I sprayed it with bedliner getting a curse texture, then satin Ivory paint to look a little like canves. I will knock some of the sheen off with 000 steal wool after it drys good.when done the truck will have pinstripe flames and all red will be pinstriped with the same Ivory color.

Attachments

• DCP00934.JPG
    DCP00934.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DCP00935.JPG
    DCP00935.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DCP00940.JPG
    DCP00940.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DCP00945.JPG
    DCP00945.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DCP00946.JPG
    DCP00946.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 136
Doug, I can't tell you how much I like this build, tell Dog not to worry, it will all be worth it, putting dog slobber down the right rear side of the truck.

A few more pic's of the top some of you have shown some intreast in it in the past I finshed the rear bumpers (old model A's) made my own inserts, maybe hard to see in the pic it's a skull cutout highlited with brasing then painted and rubbed out with steel wool. the grill will get finshed out this week. a hood ortment and bumpers. I know what your thinking BUMPERS??? :eek: but I think you'll see they will add to the front and look cool.;) at least I hope so, they look good in my mind:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DCP00946.JPG
    DCP00946.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DCP00954.JPG
    DCP00954.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DCP00949.JPG
    DCP00949.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DCP00953.JPG
    DCP00953.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 66
just a couple of pic's of my bike. when I finsh my rod and show it a local shows my bike will be a part of the showing. I built for years (30 a least) a cradle that hold's the bikes front wheel and goes in the recever on the back of the truck. then you strap the handel bars to the truck and tow the bike. its been my plan from the start to show my rod and bike this way:)
Doug

Attachments

• DCP00937.JPG
    DCP00937.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP00938.JPG
    DCP00938.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 64
Wow, Doug you are a super craftsman! Outstanding imagination. I am not turned on by open cars, but this one has captured my heart! I love how it is high on the sides, I would feel more secure riding in it than those T Buckets that are as high as your knee. Makes me want to cut down my '47 and copy it! Really nice build, great scheme. I love it all. Regards, Perley

Thank you Perley very much for the kind words:) I'm a pretty worn out old man this projet is going to be my last hu-ra, it feels good to know outer people can enjoy it too Thanks Doug

Doug, I can't tell you how much I like this build, tell Dog not to worry, it will all be worth it, putting dog slobber down the right rear side of the truck.

Thank you Bonehead , I read all you guys post's and think what a shame everybody lives so far apart. I'm a solitary type person but reading post from a bunch of you guy's I think it would fun to hang out with you guys
Doug

Doug, Your vision and quality of work is top notch. And, you have a great little accountant there, too. Your car can't help but be a big hit at the shows. I hope the health problems you mentioned are nothing serious.
I agree, Doug, the people that stay at this site are agreeable, helpful and supportive. No drama here.

Doug and Dog, your truck and bike look great. That top looks amazing it really does look like canvas. Hope the health problems your dealing with are resolved soon. Can't wait to see the whole rig set up.

I REALLY like the way the project has turned out Doug! It's very nice. That top is really something special Great vision and work by you. Very well done.

Thank ALL of you for the good words, I'll keep plugging at it and soon It'll be on the road, I will keep posting too.:)
Doug

You do some really good work, Doug. If I didn't know better, I would swear that it is canvas & not a hardtop. I look forward to seeing the rest of this build. Hope the health problems are nothing serious.

Hey Guys
a little up date, been a little behind in my posts a lot of small work not worthy of pictures. got my carbs out of the shop and installing them now. built my front bumper and nose piece the pictures are kind of washed out but youll get the idea. the flying eye gets some more paint as soon as my hands give me a day without shaking:p next week I'll build eyebrowes for my lights. that reminds me I put Porsh (sp) buckets in the 35 ford light shells

Attachments

• DCP00991.JPG
    DCP00991.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DCP00999.JPG
    DCP00999.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP01000.JPG
    DCP01000.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DCP00989.JPG
    DCP00989.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DCP01002.JPG
    DCP01002.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 86
I bought the 35 ford light buckets for $5.00 thinking I could find the guts. Ha Ha I found out even if I could find them it would cost me my first born:rolleyes: so I installed guts and now I'll build some eyebrows to match.
a couple of shots of the bumper being made.
Doug

Attachments

• DCP00982.JPG
    DCP00982.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DCP00983.JPG
    DCP00983.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DCP00984.JPG
    DCP00984.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DCP00985.JPG
    DCP00985.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP00986.JPG
    DCP00986.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 72
I was just thinking about you today, wondering if you were out driving that way cool truck arouond town yet. Hope all is well at your house.
Truck is looking sweet!

Hey guys
I've been doing OK, met a lady who into hot rods and most things that I am into,:D slowed me down a little. my girl has been through 2 oprations it turns out she has 2 different types of cancer. she has started kemo this week. she may need a another opration down the line. I need to here for her so my rod is kind of on the slow track. i'm not far away just a few things to do. I've found over the years when its time for something.... its time;) thanks for your good wishes Doug

Latest posts

Back