My new Shoe Box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speakin about the chop... has anyone run across a 'how to' that has pix of where to start on a 4 door shoe box?

or does anyone have pix of chopped 49, 50, 51 fords? post up what you can find

I'm going to try and take some better pix in the next few days maybe some one could do photo chop?

i'm still trying to get ideas

[P

Tex Smith has a book called How to chop tops. It has a section on chopping 49-54 Ford sedans. I bought the book to chop my 37 Chevy. It was invaluable, definately wouldn't have been as easy without the book! Very good detail and plenty of pictures. The book is cheap enough. hope this helps you... good luck!..:D.CR

thanks i forgot about that one, i picked it from the local library years ago just for kicks, I'll hafta see if they still have it :cool:

More pix of my 50, the interior is quite clean for being 60yrs old :D

If anybody has some time would you do a photo shop top chop please?

I'm dying to know what she'll look like slammed with a moderate cho

[P

Attachments

• 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 27
Here's some pics I found of chopped shoeboxs. Now come on and get choppin we can't wait too much longer!!:D..CR

Attachments

• chop.jpg
    chop.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 34
  • chop 2.jpg
    chop 2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 34
  • chop3.jpg
    chop3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 32
If you go to Mad Fabricators Society an get volume 3 Bob Bleed chops a Shoebox. It's a 2 door and not really a how to video. But it's fun to watch and might give you some ideas. I have all of the videos except the photography of George Barris because it was not out when I bought the collection. I guess I need to buy that one now. You can preview the videos also by clicking on them. Link attached.

http://madfabricators.myshopify.com/collections/dvds

EEFFFIIINNGG SAAAWEEEEET!!!!!!11!11!!!!![cl[cl[cl

I hafta start getting those videos!

thanks for the pix also and the info, I'm going to have to spend a lil time trolling the mad fab site

thanx guy again:D

by the way Dave love the truck build!!!!

looks great with the roof, dont care for the roadster style on the trucksters

looks like you are handy with metal work [;) [cl

my $0.02; did you ever think about doing the grill like one of the late fifties early sixties show rods?
I think a griil like the ALA KART or the atomic punk would look neat on it

Those are pretty kool. I kinda go either way on the fish mouth, atomic punk grille. It's one of those things that will probably get changed a few times until I decide it looks right. I don't think the red grille looks right on there. It's not bad it just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the build to me. My dad likes it; of course he's the one that made that decision in the first place. But it's not his any more so it doesn't matter what he thinks.:D

yeah it hides the rad but thats about it lol.

if you have the front fenders still laying around use them plus some of the hood and make it look like the barris or A-punk grill but it would have the same body reveal line thats on the cab and bed. get the dual head lights out of an early 60's ford pick up and make canted pods for them?

UPDATE TIME!!!!! [P

We got the 50 home safe and sound last Sunday and started cleaning it out. Among the many treasures hidden in the trunk were N.O.S.wheel bearings, Timing gears and points from ford, a second complete set of 4 door stainless side trim (used) and I'm 1 hub cap short of having 3 different sets!!!! ;)

Sorry for not throwing up pix I'm posting up from work

I started disassembling the front sheet metal and grill to ease the removal of the Flathead and refurbish the little things like fresh air ducts and brackets and I'll also post up pix of the front suspension rebuild once I get the $$$ for parts I'm keeping the kingpins and drums. [;)

gaskets for the flattie should be here this week....time to desludge and overhaul [;)

I did a compression test over the weekend, had between 95 and 120psi, checked the manual and they're supposed to be at 100psi so im just going to clean her guts out relube everything and hope for the best until I can do a real build

Update time, I've been doing a little here and there on the ford currently the flattie is out waiting a rebuild I got some of the engine bay decrusted, the hood has been shaved and filled. and im about to start in on the suspension and brakes the chop will be happining some time next year after i get it starting and stopping, i may also start in on the frenching of the lights soon.

BTW: Does anyone know where I can a decent headlight frenching kit for cheap?

I think the car is going to turn out great , I'm sure speedway sells a frenching kit , they seem to sell everything else . [;)

Speedy Bill wants too much for his frenching kit, I was hoping to find a "how to" on here but I had no luck, I'm googling away lookin for options.

thanks for the good luck, lord knows i could use some hehehe :D

I've been tossing around ideas with some of my friends and think I may do something more wild with the body work. I love the look of the 50's style Kustoms
I just hafta get my metal workin skills up to par before I break out the B.F.H. torch and lead!!!

Trucks! on the Power Block on Speed TV frenched some headlights on an AD truck, you might try the powerblock website...see if you can buy that episode.

-Chaz

Latest posts

Back