My one ton dodge build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice project! Dodges are taking over the site. :cool:

What's the story on that fan? Was it a boat propeller that somebody put in the cab or is it an actual fan?

Thank you, Haha - Dodges are taking over:D

It is an actual fan, but I don't know much else about it.

Thanks
Paul

why dont you try and find a set of lever shocks. they would be more time period correct though they never came on a one ton.

little progress

why dont you try and find a set of lever shocks. they would be more time period correct though they never came on a one ton.

I was not aware of lever shocks, I researched them, they seem like they could be pretty cool.
thank you

I worked on the dodge a little today. Mainly buttoning up some loose ends to try and start it. We are having trouble with the radiator going back in, the top brakets are hiting the sheet metal and not allowing the bolts on the side braket to line up. Not sure what I am going to do about that, very frustrating, It came out of it, it should go back in it. I put the fan belt on it, got the generator tightened up. I put the fuel pump on.

Then for the rest of the afternoon I have been researching a fitting on my carb. I have figured that out and should get that done pretty soon.

I am pretty close to at least starting the engine, That has been our main focus, I just wish we had more time in the day.

DSCN1644.jpg

here is the radiator not aligned, just set into place.

I have not had this truck off jacks or dollies in years. I set the truck on the ground today and was suprised to see how low it set, I'm sure the springs are sagging a lot. Based on what I see I will be able to go a couple inches lower and be pretty good.
DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

I worked on the vent and windsheild, They are opening up with ease now, first time I have been able to get them all the way open
DSCN1642.jpg

DSCN1641.jpg

These are some pretty good pics of how it sits, If anyone wanted to photoshop a couple inches out of it I'd appreciate it(don't know much about photoshop)

Thanks
Paul

Sorry, not much into photoshopping, but I think Sam Fear could help.

The grill on that truck is boss!! The engine is a beaut as well - liking the plug wire carrier.

- Ian

My uncle finally picked up the parts truck in Arizona, I hope to get it to Texas pretty soon, But at least I have it. My uncle's truck bed and cab are full of extra parts, some new and some old. This will defenatly help me with my current build and getting started with a little hot rod.

47_Dodge_002.jpg

47_Dodge_005.jpg

Work on my truck has been so slow, I have been having a terrible time getting a fuel filter for my carburetor. I think I will just end up running an inline filter with rubber hoses up to the carb until I can find a glass bowl for my zenith filter.

Try a tractor supply store or antique tractor parts place. They came with glass bowl filter long after cars did away with them. John Deere, miniapolis moline etc.

I have to add my 2 cents to this build. I have been reading it with much interest. I purchased an old smelly truck, it was an unmolested original truck with great patina. I was at first gonna try to do it all over, the rat rodder in me said maybe not. I just couldnt, it was an old very solid truck. So I am doing as you are, fixing as I go, I dont wanna paint it except where i have patched it. I love the look of aged stuff, I was thinking maybe we could call them "resto rats"..whatya think???....old stuff that is ratty but still original...sorta...nothing like the smell of an old truck cab..kinda brings me back to my childhood...:)))

i like the resto rat thing, my grandpa builds up old tractors, but they don't have to be pretty to work the field. but they do have to be solid. the front end of that things you got there is bad, i haven't really seen one before. it'll be nice to see where it goes.

I have to add my 2 cents to this build. I have been reading it with much interest. I purchased an old smelly truck, it was an unmolested original truck with great patina. I was at first gonna try to do it all over, the rat rodder in me said maybe not. I just couldnt, it was an old very solid truck. So I am doing as you are, fixing as I go, I dont wanna paint it except where i have patched it. I love the look of aged stuff, I was thinking maybe we could call them "resto rats"..whatya think???....old stuff that is ratty but still original...sorta...nothing like the smell of an old truck cab..kinda brings me back to my childhood...:)))

I agree with you, I couldn't chop this truck up either (the parts truck is a different story). As for the smell of this old truck, it's awesome too. I just go sit in the cab to know what '47 smelled like. I like that.."resto rats"

For the past couple weeks I have only been able to get little things done on my truck. I finally got a fuel line up to my carburater, I had the hardest time finding the right fittings/set up for it; it's not pretty but it'll work. I got the spark plug collector cleaned up and ran the spark plug wires through it. I also installed the battery box.

I have a new distributer I will install next week, and I need to run new battery cables, I am hoping to my next post will be with a video of the engine running.

DSCN1656.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1654.jpg

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

Sorry, I'm having trouble resizing the pics in photobucket

Just a little information on your dash fan....The truck is from Michigan, it's cold in the winter and these trucks didn't have a very good defroster to keep the windshield clear. After market fans were very popular in the north. Nice truck, shocks will help prevent breaking a spring.

Just a little information on your dash fan....The truck is from Michigan, it's cold in the winter and these trucks didn't have a very good defroster to keep the windshield clear. After market fans were very popular in the north. Nice truck, shocks will help prevent breaking a spring.

Interesting, Thanks for the info!

Any updates? [P

It's been very slow, I am hoping to get it started very soon and I will post a video of it. Other than that I am waiting for parts, I'm kind of stuck in limbo. I often think if I was not keeping it original I would at least have a driving truck by now, as soon as I get going a little bit progress seems to halt until I can find a part or figure out how to do something - its frustrating at times.

Thanks for watching!
Paul

resto rat

Hey One ton

Welcome to world of "resto rats". I went thru 1/2 weeks pay this week for 2 new leaf springs and some hardware. I am always looking for smaller stuff to do to keep my interest up and the project going along. One night last week I was bored and broke so I climbed underneath and started scraping 50 year old grease off the bottom side. Came out looking like a racoon but I got one step closer. Keep on chuggin...Every now and then stop and look back at all the little steps you took...:)))

Hey One ton

Welcome to world of "resto rats". I went thru 1/2 weeks pay this week for 2 new leaf springs and some hardware. I am always looking for smaller stuff to do to keep my interest up and the project going along. One night last week I was bored and broke so I climbed underneath and started scraping 50 year old grease off the bottom side. Came out looking like a racoon but I got one step closer. Keep on chuggin...Every now and then stop and look back at all the little steps you took...:)))

Thank you for some words of encouragement. I have been staring at that old grease for a while now, That's not a bad idea to clean it up while I am waiting. I'll keep you posted!

Thank you,
Paul

Latest posts

Back