My one ton dodge build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the little things go a long way, that's kind of where i'm at right now. scraped a lot of grease of the bottom of my galaxie, doing up the ends of wires. practicing my welding (which i'm very new at). it passes the time and keeps it going. also makes it look really nice, i've almost got the bottom of my car looking like a dinner plate. your truck is looking good.

Alright guys, Thanks for the encouragement. Instead of sitting on the couch and watching a movie on this rainy day, I went and bought some wood, cut it up, and made a new floorboard. I would love to post pictures at this time, however my NEW camera is soo advance(piece of crap) it does not take a traditional SD card and I don't have the cord to plug it into my comp.

I will post them as soon as I can, It turned out pretty good for my amature craftsman skills.

Check back in a little bit for the pics.

Thanks again,

Paul

Ok, I put the little sd card from my phone in my camera and took some after shots, then sent the pics from my phone. it works

So like I said, it turned out ok. Now I will give it a good sanding and some dark stain.

The original is in two pieces as you can see, I am thinking I want to keep the new one as a single piece. What do you guys think?

SAM_00231-1.jpg

SAM_00221-1.jpg

SAM_00211-1.jpg

SAM_00201-1.jpg

I like it as a one peice. I worry about the plywood rotting out on you eventually though.

Well, I thought about that too..Do you have any recomendations? I don't really want sheet metal because I like the look of wood. I don't know a whole lot about wood, I thought about bolting some tongue in groove together and cut it to fit, I think it would be more durable than the plywood...I'm not sure.

Thank you for your input,

Paul

Well, yesterday we loaded up the truck to take it to a buddy's shop so he can work on the brakes and other miscelanious stuff that I don't have the tools or know-how to do; The plan is for me to 'help' with it when I can so I can learn how to do more. It is one step closer to having a running truck.

I should have my other dodge in by October, I will be able to do a lot more to it when that comes in. I will keep everyone posted.

IMG_20100823_1807531-1.jpg

IMG_20100823_1810181-1.jpg

That truck looks awesome. I look at all the stuff in the background of your photos; nothing compares to the look of that old Dodge. They dont make them like anymore, I might even buy a new one if they looked like yours does now..keep on diggin...you are gonna have a great old "resto-rat" when you get done.

I would eurethane the heck out of the wood floor top and bottom. They make a satin eurethane so it wouldn't be shiney. Do all the edges as well and it will seal it up pretty well

I would eurethane the heck out of the wood floor top and bottom. They make a satin eurethane so it wouldn't be shiney. Do all the edges as well and it will seal it up pretty well
you can get stuff that is polyurethane that also has stain in it("Polyshades"). Paint on a coat, let it dry. Paint another coat, it gets a little darker, and seals it better. Etc, etc. If the plywood is exterior grade, it will be fine. And even if it's not, with several coats of poly, it will last at least 3 years, probably more. Oh, and get the water-based poly because it is so easy to work with. Just dont ever shake the can, always stir so no bubbles get into the mix.
And about the smell of old trucks, I know exactly what you mean. I was laying under my 51 Willys panel truck a couple days ago and all of a sudden I noticed the aroma of rust and age. Took me back immediately. Love it. That's the kind of thing that to me is therapy when I get to work on the old rust bucket.

Rubberized undrcoating will help deaden sound and will protect it very well. The kind I'm talking about comes in a spray can and costs about 8 to 9 dollars a can. Then you can urethane the top any color you want.

Quick update:

I was able to get away from work today to check out progress on my truck. It has come a long way from the time it went to my buddy's shop, It should be ready to prime this week.

I had the engine almost ready to run, he had to rebuild the ignition and it fired up. I think my 'famers' rebuild may do the trick for a while as it is a pretty strong running engine.

Here are a couple pics to show the progress; Thanks for looking!

SAM_0522-1.jpg

SAM_0530-1.jpg

SAM_0528-1.jpg

SAM_0527-1.jpg

SAM_0526-1.jpg

SAM_0525-1.jpg

there is a nice 42 dodge 1 ton that my neighbor brought home that he wont let me have.[S not like I need it any ways. I got to many projects to list on one piece of paper anyway. nice rig.

Any updates? [P :)

I will be able to post some updates tomorrow, things have been quite busy lately, I finally bought a house, between that and work I have had very little time to log on.

there is a nice 42 dodge 1 ton that my neighbor brought home that he wont let me have.[S not like I need it any ways. I got to many projects to list on one piece of paper anyway. nice rig.

I hear you, I have found a great love for job rated dodge trucks, I like almost all trucks(makes) from this era but I like that you do not see as many dodges

Sorry for not keeping you updated guys.

Latest posts

Back