Mystery rat rod in HRM

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacksdad

Flicking through the latest issue of Hot Rod, and I'm just about done when I come across a teaser pic from the next issue (lurking just inside the back cover) of a superb looking rat rod. I've been all over it with a magnifying glass and throwing everything I can see into searches without any luck. I'm just too impatient to wait a month - anybody have any idea who built it? It's so cool - the stance, the '57 Coronet rear quarter panels, the monster tires, the injection stacks - I love it [dr
Okay time for a rant. Tried to post this question on another rodding forum and it was deleted in no time flat with a PM that stated "we don't discuss rat rods - stay on topic". I always thought hot rodding came about as a way of rebelling against the status quo, and now I come to find out that if a rod doesn't have a show winning paint job and a ton of billet it's not even worthy of "discussion" on a rodding forum. Really - you can't even talk about it? Now hot rodding has become the status quo? That sucks. Some of these guys need to look back at the cars that were built and raced when rodding first started and try to find the seamless bodywork and flawless paint they consider to be the standard that they now hold everyone to. I love big money, well engineered cars as much as anyone, but it doesn't sit well when others in the hobby get all high and mighty and start dictating to others about what's acceptable and what isn't. I read the mission statement for RRR when I first joined, and I couldn't agree with it more. This forum rocks. Okay, I feel better now :)

Frankly this post could do without the rant. I appreciate your sentiment, but there are certain places to discuss certain things. There are a lot of different aspects to this hobby. It's their board and they can run it how they please. If you want to complain about it, do it there. Leave the drama behind.

That being said, welcome to the board and do an introduction. Have fun!

Welcome!

I don't know where I found this, but it has to be the one you're taking about.

rat5.jpg

I believe I saw it on the H--B at one of the nostalgia drag races. Probably one in Texas. Try a search of nostalgia drag races in Texas, over there.

Yeah, that's the car in the HRM.....doesn't say from where

Welcome to the site......sit down, relax, put your feet up and take in the calm cool and collected sites of the RRR!!:D

I agree with the rant. Takes some pretty dried up stones to forbid someone from talking about a hotrod that happens to be of a different style than they think is cool.
Now you know where to come for opinions that rate stuff on merit rather than some arbitrary shiney quotient. I bet there are many more that dont want to drop a ton of cash on a car or truck than have unlimited budgets. I prefer the build it yourself style rather than write a check for a car style.
Bring what you have and welcome "home".

Frankly this post could do without the rant. I appreciate your sentiment, but there are certain places to discuss certain things. There are a lot of different aspects to this hobby. It's their board and they can run it how they please. If you want to complain about it, do it there. Leave the drama behind.

That being said, welcome to the board and do an introduction. Have fun!

Exactly:rolleyes:

I agree with the rant. Takes some pretty dried up stones to forbid someone from talking about a hotrod that happens to be of a different style than they think is cool.
Now you know where to come for opinions that rate stuff on merit rather than some arbitrary shiney quotient. I bet there are many more that dont want to drop a ton of cash on a car or truck than have unlimited budgets. I prefer the build it yourself style rather than write a check for a car style.
Bring what you have and welcome "home".

Thats right.What he said.:D:D

Thanks for the welcomes, and I appreciate I shouldn't roll in complaining and whining. What got my goat was that I posted on the other forum thinking they would be of a like mind and would appreciate the car for what it was, and instead it was dismissed out of hand as if it wasn't even worthy of consideration. I'd have been fine with the post staying on the board and other members chewing me out for what they felt was poor taste (I'm used to it). Instead, it took no time for it to be deleted by (I'm guessing) a moderator, and when I tried to reply to the PM it wouldn't let me. I did a quick search with "rat rod" in the title and saw a whole bunch of negativity and sniping, so I decided to leave well alone and headed over here. It wasn't too long after that when I started this thread, and as I'm sure everyone could tell I was still a little less than happy. Sorry about that. I'm of an age when oftentimes the first impression people get of me is not always nice, often depending on my blood/caffeine level. I'm getting grouchier as the gray hairs are beginning to handily outnumber the brown ones :)
Dr. Crankenstein - thank you so much. That's the one. The reason I was looking in the first place was my brother in the UK doesn't get Hot Rod and I wanted to show him a pic. Much appreciated.
Bob w - I'm surprised they had a pic of it over there. Not going to say why in case I ruffle any more feathers, if you follow my meaning...
Blue Eyed Devil - you said "there are a lot of different aspects to this hobby" and I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, that was the problem - I was venting my disappointment at someone who was espousing the opposite view and I can't promise that I wouldn't do the same again. Deleting my post and trying to justify by dismissing a whole segment of hot rodding culture just didn't sit well. I apologize, and I promise I'll play nice [ddev
Thanks again for the welcomes - many forums aren't as up front with new guys as RRR is. I like it here already [cl

Last edited:
Well, welcome to a board with lots of other cranky old farts,lol.
This is a good example why lurking is good. I'm guessing you were either on the HAMB where even saying "rat rod" is forbidden, or Hotrodders.com, where there is one moderator that rally hates anything to do with them. Either way doesn't matter. I frequent them both for the positive content I can glean and know enough to not talk about stuff they don't approve of. I've also had threads deleted at the HAMB when I crossed that line but I knew the rules so I never got my undies in a wad over it. Too bad you didn't make the cut, there is a hoard of good info and tech stuff there, plus the Jalopy Journal is some great reading. A little like standing in line at the soup nazi is worth it for the good soup. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

You had no way of knowing when you joined the other forum that they are extremely strict about keeping the focus on pre 1964 cars, hot rods, and customs ONLY. Every week someone will do exactly what you did and get the same treatment. But as Blue Eyed Devil mentioned, it is their forum and they have the right to limit it to whatever they choose. Lots of us on here are also members there and we make sure we keep our posts centered around those few subjects only and we NEVER mention the dreaded RR words. :eek: But it is a very good forum with lots of good info and help when you need it.............you just have to abide by the rules.

However, welcome to this forum. I think you will find it is very different from most any other forum in cyberland. We are very liberal carwise and topicwise, and even though lots of us don't necessarily build rat rods we appreciate those on here that do and consider every other member a personal friend. Tripper runs a very tight, well run forum and goes out of his way to make everyone feel important and welcome.

We look forward to shooting the breeze with you as often as possible. :)

Don

Nobody is bashing, Bob, in fact, most of the comments were how good that forum is and how lots of us are members there too. We were just letting the new guy know why he ran afoul so he can still participate there if he wants as long as he keeps his posts within their guidelines. :)

Don

Thank you once again for your clarity Don! I couldn't have said it better myself....

I too am a member over there, a careful one, and find it very beneficial, however I do find it much more comfortable over here!

Let's keep it that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back