Need 64 Chevy 1/2-ton brake help!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer32

My 64 Chebby C-10's rear brakes won't let off. Stock single-pot master cylinder and drums. Last night when I got home form work I smelled hot brakes, so I felt the hubs-HOT!!! Thsi morning, I jack up the rear, and everything spins fine, so I went in and mashed the stop pedal. After I step on the brakes, the rear won't turn. Fronts stilll spin fine. WTF!!!!! It's a single master cylinder...why are the rears stuck on? And no, the emergency brake isn't on. My only guess is that there is a residual valve in there somewhere . Anyone know for sure?

Id take off the rear drums and inspect the brake cylinders and see if the pads are ridin right and just check every thing out ,it's probly just something simple when you get into it?

both wheels are frozen or just one? If it's only one that's actually frozen i would suggest new shoes and springs on both sides. If both, then maybe it's the check valve/distribution block on the rear axle. I looked at rear axle on my 63 right now just to verify for you and there is one distribution block there. My brothers truck catalog lists a distribution block/check valve as the replacement, so that's my guess on what it could be. If it is, you might consider ordering all new brake lines since you'll be in there. The lines on my 63 were so corroded they pretty much fell apart once i started wrenching on them. Hope that helps dude.

Problem found-started disconnecting fittings in the brake lines from the front to back. Rubber hose on the rear axle is mostly blocked.

Thanks for the help guys! Oh, and Floyd...yeah, lots of smart people on this forum and the other one said it was probably a brake hose. AFAIK, you WEREN'T one of them.

Latest posts

Back