Need a prayer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

or 2.
It's been I while since I've posted. A few weeks back I had to go to Las Vegas for work and then a couple day's of R&R in Zion Nat. Park. On Wednesday 8/15 I get a call from my X-wife that our 18 year old son is in detox for IV drug use...methamphetamine. Now I've known for years he screws around with drugs. I always figured it was just a little weed and some pills from time to time. I figured he would grow out of it. It turns out he's been doing a hell of a lot more and sticking a needle in his arm since March. The following morning I get another call from my ex asking if I had his car towed. Turns out the meth thugs he was running with had been using his car to run drugs. So they must have cut a duplicate key at some point. So the 99 Honda Accord I worked my butt off to buy him is gone...........but he's alive and it's just a car.
Sunday 8/19 he got out of detox, his Mom drove him out of Pueblo and up to a hotel near my house. Me and my wife arrived from Zion about 8 pm and he's been with me and my wife ever since. We tried to get him into an in-patient rehab program. But insurance won't cover it until an out-patient program has been tried and failed. So he's living with us, going to 3 group meeting a week while trying to get back into junior college. We're also looking for some kind of shrink for him to see because obviously something is hurting him inside. I divorced his Mom about 3 years ago....Even though he never showed it, I think he took that pretty hard.
SO back to the point of my post. We need some prayers for Alex. He's a great kid and I'm scared to death for him. He's acting like he really wants to kick drugs and start leading a normal healthy life. But he's 18 and legally can walk away from all of us who are trying to help him. I'm praying he doesn't.
Thanks Guy's
James

Attachments

• Alex pic.JPG
    Alex pic.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Alex 17.jpg
    Alex 17.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Alex 5.jpg
    Alex 5.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
Prayers are with you, Hang in there we went though that with my older brother and he has been clean for 25 years now. good luck

Prayer Works!!!

I too will include him and your family in my nightly prayers. My username may imply drug-usage but its meant as a joke and squeeling fat tires. God Bless!

I am praying. When I was 27 I was in a similar situation, I am 43 now. I was on meth, crack and pot. I am 6'1 and weighed 135 pounds, almost dead. I found Teen Challenge, a Christ centered in patient treatment that was almost free except for money to do the intake portion of the program. No monthly fee. It is a year long program but it saved my life. They have them all over the US. It is a hard program but I have been sober since and have a family and a whole different outlook on life. The success rate after 5 years is 80% compared to the secular 15% or less. Check out thier site, they are for all people despite age, sex or faith. PM me if you need to talk to me about it or if your son would like to know more about it. It was the hardest thing I have ever done but by far my wisest decision ever. I would be dead if I had not found thier program. David Wilkerson started the program and thier is a book called The Cross and the switchblade about it, even stars Erik Estrada in the movie about it. Sorry so long but I intimately know what he is going through.

You are on the right track!
God can and will help you and your family.

I was in the same place as your son when I came home from Nam in '72.
Did not care if I lived or died but damn glad I survived the BS.

My prayers are with you!

POPS

I hope he finds the strength and drive to get clean, good to hear you are doing everything you can to give him the support he needs.... Stay strong!

I think one thing that is telling is where you say you knew about some pot and pills. I may be a dinosaur, but ANY drug is a problem, and if I ever would have suspected either of my Sons were doing anything like that I would have been on them like white on rice. I have seen so many people start off with "harmless" recreational pot and before long they were into much more deadly stuff.

I wish you well in trying to get him clean, it will be a hard job and IMO professionals need involved to make it work, if anything works at all.

Good luck to you and your Son.

Don

I think one thing that is telling is where you say you knew about some pot and pills. I may be a dinosaur, but ANY drug is a problem, and if I ever would have suspected either of my Sons were doing anything like that I would have been on them like white on rice. I have seen so many people start off with "harmless" recreational pot and before long they were into much more deadly stuff.

I wish you well in trying to get him clean, it will be a hard job and IMO professionals need involved to make it work, if anything works at all.

Good luck to you and your Son.

Don
Thanks Don, His mom, my ex, has borderline personality disorder couple with prescription drug abuse. She checked out when he was about 3. I did my best to raise him on my own while working full time. He started going south in about the 8th grade after being around 2 people who can't stand one another most his life. I've been telling him for years he's on a dead end road. When his mom and I divorced 3 years ago, he chose Mom because she has no rules or boundaries. When we got him a week ago he was starved for love, acceptance, structure and boundaries. I talked to my wife today after I posted this and she says he's doing great. I think he'll do good as long as we can find the right balance between professional help and like Tired Old Iron say's "love and encouragement"

I have been in your shoes on this one and wish you well, it is a long and rocky road ahead, and it makes it harder when it is one of your kids. The only advice I have is be a rock and not a crutch, Some time people find purpose in life and come out of this and don’t return. But if a person doesn’t find that purpose that drives them it make falling back into this way of life way to easy.

Prayers going your way for you and your family offroadrolls. Ive been clean now 13years from drugs and alcohol. The one thing that helped me get thru all that mess was support from my family. And from what I'm reading in your post,your a Dad thats gonna be there for your son. I commend you for that. Hang in there bro. Remember you've got friends here on this site, and if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm a PM away.

Thanx!!

I want to thank everyone for their prayers. My son Alex is going on 5 weeks sober and doing very good. He goes to group counseling 3 days a week and has to pee in a cup on random day’s once a week. Also he’s working and saving for a car and going to get back into junior college next semester. He really seems to have turned over a new leaf. The Pueblo police recovered the stolen Accord I gave him along with 14 others that were stolen during a 2 week period. It’s beat up though, brand new tires on the front are bald, stereo’s gone, dents etc. Little A holes must have had a good time; they even wrote their stupid gang tag on the armrest. In the mean time I found a really clean 2000 Audi A4 with a blown motor for cheap. I’ve had a good low mileage Audi engine in storage for about 6 years. So I pulled the trigger and bought the A4 and have been using it as motivation for Alex. Good for him, but not so much for my projects. I’ve been putting all my spare time into helping him get the Audi going.
Thanks again
James

Attachments

• 2012-09-07_10-10-23_667.jpg
    2012-09-07_10-10-23_667.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012-09-18_14-26-00_842.jpg
    2012-09-18_14-26-00_842.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012-09-13_12-11-02_688.jpg
    2012-09-13_12-11-02_688.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 9