New to the scene, Help Please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbasch

Trying to get into Rat rods, don't really consider this car a rat rod but more of a street rod or hot rod, guy wants to trade me, trying to get an idea of what it is worth, may sale if I trade and decide I want to build me 59 cadillac, any help or honest opinions appreciated, what is honest fair market value on it

redbaron012.jpg

redbaron009.jpg

redbaron007.jpg

redbaron004.jpg

redbaron003.jpg

redbaron005.jpg

31 model A pickup (real steel not a kit car)
power pack 283 out of a 59 vette that has more power than the truck needs.
turbo 400 trans
gm 12 bolt rear end
four linked rear suspension with coilovers.
suicide front end with elipted spring.
1960 anser top eliminator wheels that look brand new.
firestone whitewall tires that are like new.
lokar 32 inch shifter, lokar trans and engine oil dipstick.
speedway radiator
tilt steering wheel
corvair steering box
msd ignition
everything works, has heat. even the fuel gauge works.
10 disc cd changer with 1950's drive in theater speakers.

That is a good looking hotrod. It's hard to put a value on it, especially since you don't have a location listed. High end in the right place it might fetch 20G I suppose.
One thing I really don't like is the drag link angle. I imagine it has a real bad bump steer. Not too crazy about the way the front shocks are mounted either. Also, from what I know about setting up ackerman angle, it would probably scrub the front tires real bad in a tight turn.
Why are they selling it?

Car is located in Alabama, I am looking to judge possible values on it because the owner is wanting to trade it on a vehicle I have, I am wanting to build my 2 door 59 Cadillac into a ratrod but trying to get ideas on this 31 truck in case I don't like driving it, wanna be able to get my money back if I don't like it so just trying to gauge a ballpark value, I know all these are niche rides so its pretty much what someone wants to pay in the long run though [P

How nice is your '59 Caddy. Those are worth a lot of money. If your Caddy is a shell it would be a decent trade but if the Caddy is complete and a driver your Caddy is probably worth more.

If you are trying to determine what it's worth to you , #1 how tall are you ? those cabs when chopped are very tight . #2 have you driven the truck ? #3 are you buying to resell ? #4 how far will you have to travel to get it ? (how many night in hotel )
All are major factors in determining value to me . There is not always a cut and dry answer to price . Have you checked the comparable vehicles on ebay and such ?

If you are trying to determine what it's worth to you , #1 how tall are you ? those cabs when chopped are very tight . #2 have you driven the truck ? #3 are you buying to resell ? #4 how far will you have to travel to get it ? (how many night in hotel )
All are major factors in determining value to me . There is not always a cut and dry answer to price . Have you checked the comparable vehicles on ebay and such ?

Yeah, after looking again, it doesn't look comfortable at all. Even a stock 30-31 A truck is tight for a 6 footer.
I am seeing how far the steering wheel is from the seat. It would hurt my tired old butt to go very far in it.

I am 6'2, the guy isn't wanting to trade for my Caddy, the 59 is going to be the perfect rat rod, its a two door with the top chopped so the value isn't great with the OG top gone LOL, going to make it into something unique later, the guy lives 40 miles away so travel isn't an issue either, I have a built rock crawler he is wanting to sway keys on, I just wanted to get you guys opinions on the resale of this truck if I say its not for me and wanted to sale it

The only thing I see really wrong is the front shocks are mounted upside down.
Value is hard to guess somewhere between 10-20 g. If you like it and you fit and it drives ok. You are tired of the crawler, then I'd say trade. I think that truck would be easier to turn into cash than a rock crawler, but I am not sure about that.

I'm guessing about $ 12K-$ 15K. Those trucks are pretty popular, so it might fetch the $ 15K. Guy sure did like Maltese Crosses, didn't he? :rolleyes: Those would be the first thing to go if I bought it. :eek:

Don

The crosses would be the first to go if I owned it, it is a neat ride though, but and the price input I am getting I think I may hold off on trading, 10-15k isn't going to buy my crawler, think I may just keep the crawler and save funds for the 59 caddy [cl Or I may slam my 67 VW bus and make it a rat look, just wet sand the OG paint...I was hoping to get around 18k plus if I traded but then again thats why I wanted to ask you guys before I bit the bullet and swapped

I'm guessing about $ 12K-$ 15K. Those trucks are pretty popular, so it might fetch the $ 15K. Guy sure did like Maltese Crosses, didn't he? :rolleyes: Those would be the first thing to go if I bought it. :eek:

Don

i thought the exact same, the one on the grille, makes it over the top for me, still the truck is in a pretty awesome shape, i'd go flat black..

I know all these cars are unique and its a niche market, but everyone is getting around the same figures, you guys say its a high 15k car or pretty safe sale at 10-12k? I know its hard to price stuff by pictures just don't want to end up in it upside down, any input is appreciated [cl

Latest posts

Back