Newby Builder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Hey folks.
Newby builder here. Thought i would say hey.
Ive always been facinted by the ugly cars called rat rods. I tent to venture t them and look at their craftsmanship more so at car shows then looking at the nice shiney chrome cars.

Im getting ready to pick up a 53 International split window pickup the end of this month and can hardly sleep cause of it.
I have all kinds of plans for it and will be learning alot as i go as well.

A few of the things ive been trying to find are how to use the existing leaf springs to make suicide suspention for the front and the best wat to z the frame.

I am always open to input from people that have "been there, done that" before.

I have been tryig to get on kill billet for a freakin week now with no sucess. This one however, ive spent 8 hours a night reading up on this site and sucking up as much info as i can.

I found myself stuck on looking t photos on the "earthman's actual ratrod foto thread" and "Kool Car Photos!"........ in fact, i read through every freakin page of each collecting photos for my "inspiration for truck" file [cl

Anyways...... enough blah about me....... Thanks guys

welcome to the site! post up a build thread when ya get started--this place is good to offer no-nonsense advice esp when safety is an issue....

Vey nice to be welcomed by this group. Finally got some photos of the project. My buddy that im getting it from is in bonneville this week so hopefully ill get it once he's back. That oughtta give me time to get the garage ready for the project.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 4
and more.......

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 15 (2).jpg
    15 (2).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 3
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 7
The truck itself is incredably straight and it almost hurts to chop such a nice truck [ddd
but then again, it is MY truck to make into MY style :p

To start, ill remove the hood, grille, front and rear fenders, and the side steps and sell em to help fund the project.

The hood isnt fastened, its just sitting on there. I think the only cancer on the truck is on the grill.

Anyone know a good place to sell these things?
I know a restore guy would love to have straight metal.
And whats a fair price for em. I know, newbie question but the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Another question, the front axle is a solid axle and i wanna reuse it. Can i ditch the two springs and go for a suicide axle with one parllel spring across the top?!

Thanks guys.

Ill begin to post more once i get going.

It is hard to find a good buyer for your left over sheet metal. These days there are forums for everything. You may find a forum of guys restoring old trucks.

Guys have used about every kind of front axle, and converted them over to different suspensions. It is all just different levels of fabrication.
Where are you from?

It is hard to find a good buyer for your left over sheet metal. These days there are forums for everything. You may find a forum of guys restoring old trucks.

Guys have used about every kind of front axle, and converted them over to different suspensions. It is all just different levels of fabrication.
Where are you from?

Born and raised just south of denver. Im now in parker about 25 miles SE of denver.

I'll try and find a forum of international restorers. Maybe someone will want em. I guess a last resort would be fleebay.

Latest posts

Back