Opinions on doner cars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fateinc2005

Ive been looking for a doner car for my project, im trying to stay away from the pricey stuff mustangs, camaros. So ive been looking at lincolns and cars that people are not trying to get a forune for , id like to stay with common parts and keep it mostly ford for simplicity. Any thoughts?
Thanks. John

Im looking for motor trans rearend setups.like my other says i found a pontiac ventura with all three im still trying to look for a ford setup i found another car i arizona for cheap still doing research, my computer broke so im doing it all from phone so its alitte slow at this point.

i put a 48 ford pickup on a 79 LTD once had a 302 c6 the wheel base was like an inch or inch and a half longer which worked out perfect once it was lowered. all i had to do was weld in extra frame railsthat were closer to the center the original rails ran right under the doors of the ltd i left them bolted ruber bushing to them and set my running board on them. coil springs all around disk brakes and power everything all in one

I'm thinking about using an old wrecked Crown Vic cop car. I don't know enough to really talk about it much though. I do know that the front axle assembly is a big chunk of cast aluminum that bolts in with only eight bolts and the rear is a four link with positrack and 3:55 gears. I don't know much about the 4.6 engine and trans, but assume that it's probably the same as the older Mustangs, so maybe there's some aftermarket. Don't really know how I'd "pretty" it all up...but still thinking.

How about a Lincoln mark vii 302 Aod tranny and a 8.8 rear end with air ride.
its the ultimate donor car lol. not a big fan of the AOD but the OD is nice to have. The only down side to the Mark vii is if you plan to keep the fuel injection your motor mods will be some what limited do to lincolns use of a speed density type computer. but this can be gotten around by changeing it a mass air system, which is not all that hard.

I picked up a Mark vii for 600 bucks from a guy last year and its just waiting for the right project to come along lol

How about some early 80's camaros,get a good 350,4 spd combo,lots of the rearends were posi if you find a z28.Or try an early 90's caddy,impala,buick they had they lt-1 in them.I had one in a 94 caddy and had 660,000km's on it when i sold it and still ran like a top.I've passed a few of them up in just the last year at the local wrecker.If you want to stay ford,maybe a crown vic ex-cop car.8.8 rears from the explorers are a dime a dozen and lots of them are limited slip.I got lucky and pulled the drivetrain from a 68 t-bird that was rusted completely out but still ran fine.Got a 390,c-6 combo plus the 9 inch rearend.Grabbed the driveshaft as well,it'll need to be shortened but at least i have it.Big old ford 4 doors from the 70's are good and still pop up regularly,460's,c-6 or c-4's.Might even find a 302 around still.I found 2 68 torinos last year one is a 302 c-4 car and one is a 289 c-4 car.Even a good old late 60's chrysler still pops up now and then,440's,383's,318's.

Latest posts

Back