Origin of "blue dot" lenses

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Where did the practice of imbedding blue dots in taillight lenses come from? Why is this considered cool?

I've never understood it. [S

Where did the practice of imbedding blue dots in taillight lenses come from? Why is this considered cool?

I've never understood it. [S

Cool looking when seen from behind....plus greater visibility although I am sure that is not the reason they were first used! :D

According to this ad, they were new in about 1952, but I have heard that some cars in the 30's had Lynx Eye blue dot tail lights as an accessory even then.

Wish I had bought about 500 pairs of these in 1952 ! :eek:

bludot6-52.jpg

BTW, they are illegal in most if not all States and can get you pulled over for running something other than all red lights on the back. I ran them for a while years ago on my 27 but was worried about being pulled over. My Son Dan said "Uh, Dad, I think there are a lot more illegal things on your car than just those tail lights to worry about !" :eek:

Don

They definitely make your car stand out from behind and on older cars like the 1939 and 40 fords. Being able to bring more attention to stopping is a good idea so they should be illegal[S

Yep....illegal in all states....

but.....I think that the glow thru that blue does enhance the light and make it easier to see.....JMHO.... In MI you cannot have any lights other than red and yellow to the rear with the exception of the license plate light and only white, yellow lights to the front..... not that anyone really cares..LOL....those blue or red washer lights (leds) Nope... that fancy flashing lights around the license plate...Nope......lights under the car....nope unless parked....strobes...nope...unless parked....I could go on and on.....how many tickets have I written???? None, nada zip.....warnings and have them turn them off or unplug them....:D

IMO it just gives the cop a reason to pull you over and check you out. My Sons had those windshield washer lights that SGT mentioned and they were coming home from a gig in West Palm one night about 3 am. A cop going the other way did a 180 and pulled them over. When they asked what they did wrong he said no one ever drives the speed limit on that road and since they were not speeding they looked suspicious. :confused: He did give them a warning on the lights though.

Don

I blame JC Whitney!!! [ddd:eek:

BoB

Probably where they came from...

My dad tells me that they just showed up at the parts store one day. He built custom in the 50's and 60's. I've read claims on other sites that old Packard’s, Cadillac’s and Lincolns had them but I can't find any evidence. There's plenty of these cars on eBay and other sites and not one has blue dots. There's also the claim that emergency vehicles used them, but a search for parts yeilds nothing. I have a bunch of King Bee clearance light lenses from the early forties; amber, red and blue.

Blue-dot tail lights were in use long before 1952 as the above ad would suggest. There were some high end cars as far back as the early 1930's that were factory equipped with them. The theory being that they provided a more visible light source. Packards, Cadillacs, and maybe some others were so equipped.

1932 Packard

Man, I can come up with a better story than that...

IMO it just gives the cop a reason to pull you over and check you out. My Sons had those windshield washer lights that SGT mentioned and they were coming home from a gig in West Palm one night about 3 am. A cop going the other way did a 180 and pulled them over. When they asked what they did wrong he said no one ever drives the speed limit on that road and since they were not speeding they looked suspicious. :confused: He did give them a warning on the lights though.

Don

Why not just tell them the lights drew his attention?? Normally it's really easy to find a reason....nobody pays attention to the license plate light, all the tail lights or even could be a cracked windshield......good reason for stop because it has to be illuminated and visible..all lights should be working (equipment violation) and windshield is a safety hazard.....usually isn't hard to find a reason to stop, don't need to fabricate something...:D .

good reason for stop because it has to be illuminated and visible..all lights should be working (equipment violation) and windshield is a safety hazard.....usually isn't hard to find a reason to stop, don't need to fabricate something...:D .

You mean those reasons aren't fabricated enough? ;)

Do you need to fabricate anything? Isn't "reasonable suspicion" enough? I know if I'm driving the speed limit, there's something wrong. :D

Back to the blue dots. It would seen reasonable that hotrodders started running Packard lights just because they're Packard, and made your ride stand out. Kinda like Caddy engines and hubcaps. Make sense?

Certainly does.....

Absolutely my point....no need to fabricate anything and yes the blue dot thing goes right along with the other stuff too.....enough said....:D

Blue-dot tail lights were in use long before 1952 as the above ad would suggest. There were some high end cars as far back as the early 1930's that were factory equipped with them. The theory being that they provided a more visible light source. Packards, Cadillacs, and maybe some others were so equipped.

Did a little research (looked on the HAMB :eek:) and in short found that they weren't really a hot rodder item until the 80's, most likely because of the illegal problem. They need to be glass lenses to work right, the newer plastic ones make them look purple. Also, the bulb needs to be centered behind the blue dot to be brighter.

There is also a theory that they were for doctors so cops would know who was speeding. Supposedly others figured they could use them too to trick the cops, so eventually they were outlawed.

Or they were outlawed when lighting laws were standardized.

My guess is, they were sold as an aftermarket item soon after those high end cars ^^^ were introduced with them. Was JC Whitney around in the late 30's? :D

Also several states now allow them on older vehicles.

Did a little research (looked on the HAMB :eek:) and in short found that they weren't really a hot rodder item until the 80's, most likely because of the illegal problem.

Not true! They were pretty popular with hoodlums back in the 50's!

ISore

Not true! They were pretty popular with hoodlums back in the 50's!

ISore

Just from my 'research' I read it both ways from old timers, got both "never saw 'em" or "we always ran 'em". But the ones that said they ran 'em also mentioned the cops would stop them too.

Also read they were a popular low rider item in some places.

Latest posts

Back