Paint advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Would like to start painting the helicopter today but not sure what paint and topcoat to use. It is sandply interior plywood so I really need to protect it well for outdoor use. Was considering a Valspar all in one paint then using a marine varnish over it but I think the valspar is latex and needs a water base topcoat if you use one.

Any suggestions?[P

cool project you have going on.

There are epoxy barrier coat primers that may be used to seal the wood then you can use what ever type of paint you want over that. Thin the first coat of primer to penetrate into the wood. 1 part urethane boat paint can be used with a smooth gloss finish in whatever color you want. Most boating supply stores will have everything you need in the small quantities you will need. Home depot may have the same stuff at a far better price.

There are a lot of ways to get color on your project this is just one.

If you want the wood to show through a clear finish then I would coat the whole thing in clear epoxy and cover with a clear urethane that has serious UV protection. Don't leave any resin unprotected from the sun. It will deteriorate quickly.

Smooth any hard edges as that is where the paint will fail most quickly.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back