"Paradise Road"......first house on the right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've been following this build since the begining, and I still don't understand where the wheels go!
But seriously Snake, what an incredible job you have done here. So many neat and innovative ideas built in. Thanks for sharing. :)

You know, I've been following this build since the begining, and I still don't understand where the wheels go!

Gonna try to keep all the wheels out in the garage. :D

LOL he doesn't live far enough south for that. :eek:[cl:D

I'm not that far North....I been there, done that. :eek: It would take more than four wheels to hold this one up though! :D

Excellent details with the trim and the rest of the house. Its getting tons of character.

...... My favorite is that your using full size interior trim with actual sills and caps - woodwork adds a lot of character to a house. Neat idea on the candles too.

.....A lot of great custom touches.

........Love all the little custom pieces...

That's the kind of stuff that separates the tract houses and the custom homes but it's also what drives up the costs and build time too. For instance counting jamb extensions, those windows consist of ten pieces of trim, so window trim alone in this house adds up to 230 pieces. A conservative estimate would put this house at 2,000 individual pieces of trim.....each measured, cut, prepped, primed, painted, installed, holes filled, sanded, caulked and painted a final coat.....so yeah, a bit time consuming. But again it is the details that make the house.

Here's a pair of pocket doors into the library....one thing I like about these is that when you sit at the bar in the kitchen you have a view through the hallway, through these doors , out the front window and up the driveway to Paradise Road.

Here's a little stain matching on the Oak stair treads to match the tile....

The skirt boards and risers are painted to match the trim...

The wood ended up matching the tile really well....

They will get an Oak handrail with metal balusters once we're pretty sure we are done taking furniture upstairs...LOL

And speaking of furniture, my son in-law's parents built them this cool upholstered wing back bed....

Well, better get to work.....more later.

........ It's kind of like watching a ZZ build.

Thank you sir! I am definitely taking that as a compliment!

love the huge island and that gorgeous stove! envious of you having the kids and grandson so close! you have obviously been blessed!

Thanks guy, that stove is actually two 30 incher's side by side. They were shopping for a 48" or possibly 60" and the big ones started at about twice what they paid for these two 30" commercial units. Plus it lets them leave accessories such as griddles etc. in place if they like and still have plenty of burners, a win/win.
Here's what sends all the good cookin' smells to the neighbors....

As for having them close by it is a blessing beyond measure and I'm thankful every day for it. I can't begin to describe what it's been like having my grandson visit the job almost daily and having lunch with him for over a year and a half of his two and a half years. Gonna be tough going back to my regular job, which will be happening soon.

Here's a few pics of the laundry room...

Built this enclosure for the washer and dryer....

More concrete counters.....

This one......

...houses the vintage 1925 (American) Standard cast iron sink.

This sink was a Craigslist find purchased from a Mennonite family in Staunton, VA. They had rescued it from a pasture where it was being used as a cattle trough and had done an amateur refinish job on it, which I think is perfect for this house.

Stay tuned.

I would love to have that sink.

It is a pretty cool sink and perfect for this house it think. The original plan called for shorter cabinets and a raised sink that sat on top of the counter....

.....but this one came along while there was still time to change the cabinet order. This will serve as the laundry sink but will also be my daughter's flower cutting station. She's big on gardening, both vegetable and flowers and loves to have fresh cut flowers around....remember these from earlier in the build? :D

My main project for the last month has been the master bath.....or the "On-Suite" as the fancy folks on HGTV like to call it, LOL.

Started with the shower by building a masonry base and curb....

Walls of 1/2" Hardie tile backer....

Hadn't noticed till now how small the shower looks in the pic above but it is 3-1/2 feet by 5 feet so not a bad size.
I've built several custom showers over the years and have done them every way you can think of, from "blatantly wrong" to the best I could do with "the latest materials" available at the time. My current system of choice is Schluter Kerdi membrane, a bit pricey but a second floor shower is no place to cut corners.

So on goes the orange stuff from floor to ceiling....

Followed by some "Oyster Cracker" tile, my favorite for following the contour of a sloped floor....

Some subway wall tile....

A little trim and accents....

Some marble lined cubby holes....

And finally some grout....I hate grouting!

Stay tuned.

It's way cheaper to do it right the first time then to have to do it twice and fix the rest of the mess.
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole thread is a tutorial on how to build a house the right way.[cl[cl[cl[cl

Can't wait to see the Gunnars garage build[P[P[P[P

Im a big fan of subway tile.. it always looks good and to me never goes out of style..

how s the Schluter Kerdi membrane to work with? I'm about to tackle expanding the small 1st floor bath into a full size with a curbless shower. I was watching the videos on their website and it looks like top notch stuff. [P

how s the Schluter Kerdi membrane to work with? I'm about to tackle expanding the small 1st floor bath into a full size with a curbless shower. I was watching the videos on their website and it looks like top notch stuff. [P

It's an awesome product and while nothing is ever as easy at depicted in most videos it is quite nice to work with and lays flatter than any rubber membrane I've used which makes for nice sharp corners both inside and out. In the early days of Kerdi there was some confusing info out there on which thinset to use with it and they insisted on using a non-modified thinset which I fought to no end! However Bostik Inc. now makes a thinset designed specifically for Kerdi and it works great. So if you use the Kerdi be sure to get the Ditra Set mortar http://www.bostik-us.com/sites/default/files/Ditra-Set.pdf I use it for the membrane and I set tile with it also.
One thing that will really help with the membrane installation if you are going over Hardie Backer is to mist the backer board down several times with water so that it doesn't immediately suck all the water out of your thinset.

Going on in another corner of the master bathroom is this deck for the drop in tub.....

Some more subway tile.....

....and trim to match shower

A little dry fitting to check clearances...

Then the tub gets set in a bed of mortar so that it's supported from the bottom and the rim has no weight hanging off it.....the plastic is there to keep the tub from permanently bonding to the floor...

In place and ready for some plumbing....

Some vintage style fancy plumbing....

......and a "wet run" to check for leaks before closing it up.

More bath stuff to come...

Latest posts

Back