Possible rear end for my coupe?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restorex

Hey guys!!
I'm planning on trying a mid 50's Chevy pickup front axle on my coupe. I have a chance to pick up a good used '61 Chevy pickup rear end on the cheap. He says it's in good shape and just needs brake cylinders. I'd like it because then I could keep all of the wheels 6 lug and it is here in my town and cheap. Is there anything bad about these rear ends? I'm not going to have crazy power, just a stock Chrysler 331ci Hemi, so that shouldn't harm it should it? I only have a day to make up my mind before he sells it to the next guy that is interested in it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.:confused:

Hello Resto,
I like the fact that you're worrying about keeping all of your wheels with the same bolt pattern, but I'm going to back up the good Dr. on his thoughts, check the width of your car and the axles.
I think the rear-end will stand up to a 331, it's the nut behind the wheel that might kill it.
Keep on tinkering.

Well he got back to me with measurements of the axle. The rims don't have tires on them right now, the measurement from rim to rim is 55". I need 57" to drop the body down between, plus there will be tires on the rims yet. The rims that are on the axle are th stock 16" which I would like to keep on it.

Sounds like you need more width.

GM used the same 6 bolt pattern forever so your options are many. For example: When I first got my '38 and needed it to roll, I didn't have a tire for the stock wheel so I used the spare from my full-size Jimmy.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back