Project Bad Intentions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.3turbo

Just started this build, plan on it being a little out of the ordinary.
Its based off a mixture of parts, but the end result will be Model a roadster pickup with convertible hard top. It will have model A type 2x4 frame z'eed 15" in the rear with 4 link suspension. Floating front suspension. I plan on it being chopped/channeled and low, but still clear speed bumps. Unless I come up with another option, it will have Ford 302 with dual quads. It hopefully will be done and rolling down the road by July.

Here the start

2bwrdk.jpg

Getting the frame tacked up and welded out

f1hz82.jpg

Roller will be hopefully done next week

We are building three different rods at once. We just started my frame and one other.
No pics on cab yet. Im building it from different Model A parts. It will basically look like tudor pickup conversion they used to do for gas rations.

Cool, got a tudor that I am working on, pick up is another rod I would like to build also>

Not much new today, just did a little grinding on the frame. Have to fit wrenching time for this one in between the other builds.
Did pick up the rear section of tudor touring for the back half of my cab. Im going to fab a hard top for it once I get the frame as a roller.
Im torn between floating front axle with model a framehorns, or suicide front end t bucket style with no frame horns. Any opinions?

i pretty much know what the two different front ends you are talking about look like, but if you are able to post examples of them then i will be able to make a more educated choice.

I prefer suicide myself , I like the look better . You're off to a good start , the third time is the charm , remember make yours the third one.

Floating suspension uses stock crossmember/spring setup, but floats the axle out front of the grille shell. Like Jimmy Shines 34

jimmy-shines-34-pickup-hot-rod-3.jpg

suicide is tbucket style front end.
23_T_blue_chassis1_large.jpg

Im leaning hard towards the floater myself

Last edited:
Changed my mind, doing something different with the suspension. It will take me a week to get the parts, but Ill post the pics up when shes slapped together.[cl

My frame is too short to build my truck. But it came out real well, so Im not going to hack it up. Going with a T bucket build, I can always build the truck later. I hate being indecisive, but time/money mandates changes.
We've got the frame on the jig, and put the body on it for mock-up. This is only the beginning for the body, there will be tons of mods done to it. The pics are a little blurry, but I will replace them with new ones when I bring my camera to the shop. 90% of the parts used will be handmade or altered from their original state. It makes for a traditional rod buildup, but eats alot of time in the process. Front suspension will be hung by Monday, rear by Thursday (hopefully). Body mods will be on-again /off-again until I get the chassis fully built.
I know the windshield top is bent, it wont be there when it gets chopped anyway.

Now this is some detail work!

i269s0.jpg

Pics of quality welds

10qhuzl.jpg

Body on frame........Im starting to build the cowl/firewall next week

2vd1emr.jpg

Side view....Im building it bigger than regular t bucket. It has same interior room front to back of drivers seat as my 05 stang. 5 feet from firewall to top of seat (diagonal measurement). I have pics of my 6 foot tail sitting in it making vroom vroom sounds to show how much room is inside, I put them up later tonight/tomorrow.
This thing is like a limo on the inside! :D
im81fq.jpg

Dang thems some big pics! Im trying to resize them now

Rear Z......just enough room for tank and suspension!

Attachments

• FILE0004.jpg
    FILE0004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks. Im not trying to toot my own horn, but giving the frame builder his props. I did all the detail grinding, but Roy is the guy responsible for getting it this far. His attention to detail is fantastic. Im learning alot on this build. Cant wait to get it finished

Getting all the body laid out. Put in new subrails. Started building the cowl......more tomorrow, too tired to type.

New subrails, still need to put in floor supports.

rrpmhd.jpg

Started building the cowl supports

nzj8z6.jpg

Cut sheetmetal for new cowl.....We used the hood of 04 F250 for the body line detail ....

e5ia0w.jpg

Hand forming the curves and shape, trial fitment

2n9jdox.jpg

Shrinking the new cowl piece

24zvcl1.jpg

All done...Fits like a champ. Tomorrow the side panels will be made. May put the motor in. Lonestar roundup has us slammed. Its hard to find time to work on it, but its getting there!

257nc4w.jpg

Another look

11ah1ts.jpg

Latest posts

Back