Project Menace - 54 Dodge RPU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

Welp, guess it's time to start a build thread. Got a lot done today.
54 Dodge going on an S-10 frame, 305/350, posi rear. Chop is 6", thinking about a 4" channel, but we'll wait till the chop is done to check for room. Here's the pics...first 3 is how it came to me, the 4th is after sandblasting & epoxy primer.

Attachments

• 54 dodge 02.jpg
    54 dodge 02.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 54 dodge 03.jpg
    54 dodge 03.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 54 dodge 04.jpg
    54 dodge 04.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 54 dodge 01.jpg
    54 dodge 01.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 64
Some pics of today's progress. Many thanks to my buddy Shawn for helping. Sorry about the "fog" in some pics, had a lot of dust, sparks & smoke flying :D ! We'll get the filler strips in tomorrow and I'll start replacing the floor and firewall next week.

Attachments

• 54 dodge 001.jpg
    54 dodge 001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 54 dodge 003.jpg
    54 dodge 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 54 dodge 005.jpg
    54 dodge 005.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 54 dodge 009.jpg
    54 dodge 009.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
looks like a great start. So what are your plans after the chop? Do you have a lot of body work that needs to be done? Cant wait to see the progress.

looks like a great start. So what are your plans after the chop? Do you have a lot of body work that needs to be done? Cant wait to see the progress.

Ya know, I think my plans change every other day ! After the chop I want to channel the floor, cut out the factory firewall and go smooth. I've got a boneyard close to me with a huge variety of 30's, 40's and 50's stuff. Think I'll head out there and pick up a 38ish Dodge grill. I really want to go fenderless but we'll see how the IFS looks. I'm making my own bed. That's pretty much it, however, that's subject to change.

IFS

Menace,
1st off... love u're truck! Chop looks really kool. I put a IFS front end on my '41 Ford pu but am runnin' fenders. Look forward to u're build!

BoB

Menace,
1st off... love u're truck! Chop looks really kool. I put a IFS front end on my '41 Ford pu but am runnin' fenders. Look forward to u're build!
BoB

Thanks Tripper, I've got some ideas about covering up the IFS with small fenders that turn with the wheels. Right now the frame is under about 4-5" of snow so that will have to wait till the body is done.

Got a little more done this past week. Working the seams together can be challenging in some of the contoured areas but it's coming along. I decided to keep the upper 2/3 of the factory firewall. The steel is good and I like the overall shape of it. So, I've welded up the holes, got the first layer of filler in it and primed to protect from rust. The area on the driver side firewall still needs some more weldin'.More as it progresses.

Attachments

• 54 dodge 015.jpg
    54 dodge 015.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 52
  • 54 dodge 016.jpg
    54 dodge 016.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 54 dodge 018.jpg
    54 dodge 018.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 54 dodge 017.jpg
    54 dodge 017.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 66
Got a little more done. The body chop is done with the exception of the doors. Thought I'd move onto the floor. Ended up being about a 2" channel. Used 1/4" x 2" angle for the perimeter and 1"x1" tubing for the rest. Gotta add some more tube for the center hump but you get the idea. I'll be using 16 gauge for the floor. There's some old floor sections I couldn't remove from the top, these will be removed from the bottom when I flip the body on it's firewall to weld the tube underneath.
If anyone sees any areas for improvement let me know, this is my first floor replacement.
Thanks, Menace

Attachments

• 54 dodge 006.jpg
    54 dodge 006.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 52
Got a little more done. Man, I have no patience ! I want this thing done now :D. Took the factory firewall completely out, didn't like the contours I had to work with. Put a new firewall in, finished up the floor and center console. Now onto the doors...

Attachments

• 54 Dodge floor 001.jpg
    54 Dodge floor 001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 54 Dodge floor 002.jpg
    54 Dodge floor 002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 54 Dodge floor 003.jpg
    54 Dodge floor 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 63
Nice work on the chop, it's got a nice look and the floors are coming along nice too. Your going along fast. . . . I'm jealous.

Update... still plugging away. Don't think I'm gettin' "Hamb-ish" this is all rattle can. Going with a Krylon true blue and cream color combo. Gonna coat the dash with some clear with metal flake.
Also picked up my steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal & master cylinder today. Friend of mine is pretty good at airbrushin' and wants to cover the whole thing in murals. Not sure about that, how about some ideas for the firewall ?? I'm thinking some spider webs and some flying eyeballs ! All ideas appreciated. ;)

Attachments

• 54dodge 001.jpg
    54dodge 001.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back