push button tranny

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzy

in the planning stage for my 37 panel and was thinking of putting a push button transmision shifter in it, I plan on using a sbf with an automatic, anyone got any info on how to get this done[S

Had a 58 Plymouth way back in high school and it had the typewriter trans in it. If I remember right, it had a cable and the cable went right into the trans and hooked to a lever on the valve body. It was not external.

I just saw on one of those rebuild shows where they retrofitted an AOD trans with a paddle shifter using some special box. I get the impression it wasn't cheap though.

You biggest obstacles would be converting the small movement of the push buttons into large movement needed to get the shift arm to move through it's travel. I wouldn't want to try to engineer this one, personally.

Don

If you're talking about the Chrysler pushbutton, I don't think it can be done easily, if at all. They're a two-cable setup, and require the correct torqueflite trans with two levers and unique valve body calibration/configuration. [S

dodgesfit.jpg

As mentioned, Edsels and Packards had goofy electric shift setups with servos, relays and/or motorized actuators. Sounds like a migraine headache to me. :(

Like donsrods said, those electronic streetrod setups are expensive as sh*t. Like 1000 bucks and up expensive. :eek: :eek:

Just a goofy idea. I always thought it would be cool to use a dash-mounted shifter like some 60's Dodge trucks and vans had. They're straight-forward cable actuated, and should be easy to adapt to any three-speed auto.

dodgedashshifter.jpg

dodgeshift.jpg

No doubt that type would be

more practical and easier on the budget...... I would bet that you could find one without too much problem...or maybe adapt an older mustand floor shifter to fit the dash....housing was small and had good detents and lockouts..Just a thought....

Attachments

• ford shifter.jpg
    ford shifter.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 5
Or less your going to run a Mopar/mopar trans, I don't think it would work. My 56 Dodge runs a push button trans 2 speed. I'm tryin to make a 3speed trans work from a 62 Chrysler. Even there its hard to mate up the two.
:confused:

Might still work....

Or less your going to run a Mopar/mopar trans, I don't think it would work. My 56 Dodge runs a push button trans 2 speed. I'm tryin to make a 3speed trans work from a 62 Chrysler. Even there its hard to mate up the two.
:confused:

some of the old mustangs used the C4 3spd trans and the shifter was merely a lever and rod set up...no cables... so you might be able to make it work ok with a bellcrank set up or maybe directly to the trans shift selector.... JMHO

What is more desirable, the sbf or the PB drive? Plenty of 63-64 Mopars still out there, small and big block.
If money is no object then consider having a one-off adapter made for the 727 to the sbf.

Latest posts

Back