Rat rods are safer than new hi tech cars!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow holding the off button for three second at 120 mph. That 176 feet.

That just shutting down the motor how many more feet does it take to stop it.

Wow holding the off button for three second at 120 mph. That 176 feet.

That just shutting down the motor how many more feet does it take to stop it.

Eh... you'd wreck by then since you only have one hand on the wheel!

I think Ford was trying to integrate iPod type stuff on the dash and steering wheel. How about scrolling for your favorite album at 75 MPH?

uh i been telling folks to reconcider buying these new harley davidsons , they are also fly by wire throttle, that scares me, being a former harley mechanic, they have always had electrical problems, this is one i do not want to see!

i dont see the big deal on drive by wire. the diesel world has been doing it for years. its a good system if you know how it works. well as long as the pedal doesnt stick.....toyota. even brake by wire is a very safe system. and has a full mechanical back up. most poeple dont know the prius does not use mechanical brakes untill 5mph and under. its all done with the electric motor. unless you have a panic stop. (this was the recall) then it engages. i am a certified hybrid techincian. been trained on all the hybrids to the date. and these cars are not as hard to understand as they seem. they are very safe and a wonder of technology. but i can agree that cars are getting way to complex for people to drive. people that can hardly use a dvd player should not drive these cars.

ill take my 82 chevy as a daily driver any day of the week.

Rockabillyrat, I think you have touched on the very problem. Truck drivers are trained proffessionals, you are a trained professional. The common cotton head I see driving the Prius most likely has a hard time using the vcr and cell phone let alone a highly technical automobile.

Too many folks on the road are technologically challenged. Technology is good, one just needs to know how to handle it.

so far there has been no reported deaths due to people working on these cars. but if you touch the wrong spot. BAM!!! there goes your hand and a bloody explosion.

thats what scares me. i have seen enough back yard mechanics screw up wiring 12v. now try 600V!!!!

this is going to happen soon enough as these cars get older and more and more people get their hands on them.

they need to have a test on how to use these cars before people get to drive them

bmw's are the biggest pain. i had one in the other day is took my 20 min to figure out how to turn the radio off. and i work on cars for a living. this is getting to far.

Suzuki used a similar system on their outboard motors years ago. One of our Techs had a boat out for a seatrial and when he pulled the throttle back to slow down it kept accelerating.........and he was heading for a seawall wide open.:eek::eek: He did a quick u turn and it finally slowed down. That was the last time he came down that channel wide open. :D

Don

Yeah... scares me to death about new cars. I think Ford has been using Micro$oft for their programming. Now that is REALLY scary stuff... as buggy & insecure as most of their products are! NO thanks and no drive-by-wire accelerator petal for me either... much less steer-by-wire!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire

BoB

uh i been telling folks to reconcider buying these new harley davidsons , they are also fly by wire throttle, that scares me, being a former harley mechanic, they have always had electrical problems, this is one i do not want to see!

Test drive during Sturgis bike week in Rapid this last year, 2010 30 some thousand dollar Screamin Eagle, wide open throttle in neutral bouncing off the rev limiter, the guy takes his hands off the bars and throws them in the air, one of the techs comes over to hit the kill switch, that didn't work. so he turns the switch. finally worked. Then there is about 6 techs gathered around and what do they do? They start it back up... WOT again. [cl

We sat there[P

Over heard the guy saying it just took off when he hit the starter and nothing worked.

I'm glad mine has a carb with cables

I will keep my 81 GMC Stepside, "Dark Sarcasm"

My 93 Saturn Wagon "The Rubbermaid Car"

and Reason4's 03 Honda Oddyssey......They can keep all that other stuff.

Just think you buy one of those new Toys and it has all of the issues.

You step on the gas and the pedal sticks so now you are going over 100 mph. you try to shift the car into neutral and you can't because the design of the shifter you can not do it. Ok so now you press the stop button and hold it for 3 second and the motor shuts down. Good you got the car shut down and you are out of the woods.

NOT. you go for the brakes and guess what no brakes. so now we are still going about 90 MPH. Ok we have open road so no big deal. We have time to get it slowed down. Then up ahead you see a sign that said left turn ahead. Ok we are going a little fast for the turn but there not traffic so we can use the hole road to make the turn. SO NOW The turn is about 1/4 mile away are we are still going 70 MPH. Ok still fast but we grab the wheel with both hands and get raeDy for the turn. Now we are in the turn and we turn the wheel to the left but nothing happens. Oh *&%$ it that last recall that I have not got fixed yet

At this time you put your head you know were and kiss it goodbye.

Don’t take something simple and make it complicated.

Driver Expectancy

These are two things that engineers should keep in mind when designing highways and automobiles.

they will never do a full steer by wire system. DOT will never alow it. you will always be physically connecected to the car. but power steering it self is all electric using a 42v electric motor with sensors and tourqe sensors to see how fast and hard you turn the wheel.

same with braking systems. yes it is brake by wire... kinda. it wouild take forever to explain this. basically you push the pedal and a series of solenoids do the hydralic work baised on pedal travel and pressure. the system has a back up to look for the solenoids to work. if they do not see this then the system goes into a back up and the master cylinder pressure is used to stop the car and not the solenoids. yeah i know what a way to make it more complicated. it would take me even longer to tell you how the prius uses its transmission and a/c electric motors to stop.

but drive by wire has no back up. it is 2 pedal postion sensors that tell the computer where the pedal is so the computer can move open the throttle body. and like said before if there is a problem WOT can be stuck on.

i dont know why we are going with all this way when it comes to building car. i understart direct injection and all that. makes more power, saves gas, fewer emissions. the rest is just a waste.

why do i need a computer to control the engine in my car, when my right foot has been doing it better for years. and i dont have to worry about that not sticking. if i do then i really got problems.

oh and all cars are going to a windows bases computer system which as a mechanic is the best thing that could happen. a pc is the best tool to have to fix modern cars.

i dont think they will have any issues when it comes to crashing.

my fear is with cars being a driving internet, now you will be able to download a virus on your car. THATS SCARY ****!

Latest posts

Back