Ratty 46 Ford Cpe. redo......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

I was surprised how clean the engine/trans actually where. The rear end & front end are cleaner!!

I'm hoping that within 2 weeks I'll have a permanent (well for a shot time anyway) spot in the shop to contruct the car soon.

I'm happy with the progress so far but the "stall" for parts being manufactured sux. I can not wait to see the pallett of parts

I'll keep you posted Don.

Ratty 46

Oh, you are getting me all excited there Paul ! :D I got my hitch done for my Ford, just have to bolt it on now and rig up some lights. I am going to pack the trailer wheel bearings and all that stuff too so I should have no trouble on the trip. (I hope :)) Still no rush on my part.

You have to be getting excited too. I showed Dan the pictures you posted and he couldn't believe how rustfree the entire car is. It makes so much sense to start with a car like that, it will save you a lot of work in the long run.

I mentioned before that I had a '47 Fordor sedan years ago, and it is the one car I really regret selling. I envy you for owning yours in such great shape.

Sorry to butt in'' ,but don do you have better pics of the T that you posted up top ? and can you post them on a separate thead?
Or any other pics of racked T's?

No, I wish I had more of that car, that is the only view I have ever seen of it. I would love to see what he did to the front. Maybe Gastrick with his massive archive can come to our rescue. :D

Don

Right on Don.

I too had a early experience with a 1946 ford p/u while in high school - MANY, MANY moons ago.......I always missed that truck but the one that "got away" was the chopped top 34 ford p/u my Dad & I resto'd during h.s.. When I moved south years ago he asked if I wanted it....what a knucklehead - I said NO as I had no place to store it.....BAD MOVE!!!
Oh well.... my "new" ride will have to do......and when my little guy says he doesn't have space for it (he's 2 now) I'll just continue to drive it!!!!

Ratty 46

No, I wish I had more of that car, that is the only view I have ever seen of it. I would love to see what he did to the front. Maybe Gastrick with his massive archive can come to our rescue. :D

Don

I'll see what I can do Don. I actually think I have a magazine article on it in one of my old mags somewhere but it will take me a while to verify.

In an effort to stay focused on my 46 as you know I won another dash off egay for cheap & am in the process of modifying.
I also wanted everyone to see my NEW outdoor welding table........it has come in handy at the right time!!
I am also thinking of just patching the factory holes & leaving them unground. Sorta "natural" looking.

Well here we go:

Picture1347.jpg

Picture1348.jpg

Picture1349.jpg

and my ultra kewl welding table....

Picture1350.jpg

As soon as I roll some metal I'll be filling more open spaces.

Ratty 46

Hehe, I was using a plastic barrel like that to hold some steel plate I was cutting to size with my torches. Caught the thing on fire and had to toss my Pepsi on top of the flames. :eek: They aren't making plastic barrels like they used to. :rolleyes:

Dash is looking good. What all are you changing from the stock dash?

Don

"What all are you changing from the stock dash?"

Well Don.......as you can see I've removed the cheap plastic waterfall that is usually on top of the radio speaker & radio area. Soooo my intention is to replace the stock gas, temp, oil, water guages with some round Autometer units & replace the speedo & clock with same size Autometers. The balance of the dash will be very smooth!!
On the top area I've replaced the ash trays & some of the speaker besel.
I went back out & did some more fab'n:

Picture1351.jpg

Picture1352.jpg

Picture1353.jpg

Ratty 46

Thanks Gastrick.

A few more days of play & It'll be completed.

I find that they work better (the weld tables) after I've used them with MIG welder. All the little fireballs seem to stick real well so when I need to TIG weld something... I'm ok.

The last set I used kinda melted from over use......

Ratty 46

Hey, any updates R46? Just thought I would drop a photo of Fat Jack's 46 in here for fun. I loved this car....until he wadded it up into a ball. Oh the humanity.

Oh......Fat Jacks 46 circia 1986 (see - your not the only one that digs that car). Cover car for HR mag I think.
Update: FAB9 arrived but no other parts yet. They ARE on the way & as soon as they drop in you bet I'll be snappn' pix.
I'm trying to get this ride rolling for the TRR - if everything works out.

I've also been doing some more bike parts.

Ratty 46

and one thing I forgot to mention........ I'm ISO a stock hood ornament as I will have a tric of the week kustom "one off" piece made to stand in its place.

HINT: RRR.........member

Ratty 46

NO........no you do not.

I've yet to see a hood orny on e-pay since we spoke.......as soon as I procure one it'll be in the mail!!

R46

All I will say is that this will be a 1-off hood orny that no one else has!! Can you say "KUSTOM" by Bonehead. Please do not ask him what it is as he has been instructed not to talk about it.......

Pictures will tell the story.

R46

Well........finally progress has been made. Don of donsrods fame is on his way to pick up what I've stripped off the car - which include: complete front end - that happens to be a possies dropped axle & superslide spring with stock drum brakes, steering system & dem bones, the complete rear end including the closed drive shaft system, the 46 ford flatty & 3 speed trans that is hoocked to it, new brake hoses & shoes.

I figured when Don asked about it he wasn't one of those "parts horders" that I run across on a daily basis..... As he's stated: "I could have parted the items out on egay and ended up with more money" but its not ALWAYS about the money. Sometimes its about a friendship. Sometimes its about helping another genuine rodder out.

I'm sure the parts will end up in something he or his son will build & display here on RRR.

The progress included removing the parts & getting the car up..... up into the air for the start of the frame & suspension work.
I've got pix but will wait till Don's trailer gets loaded & is safely going down the road.

Ratty 46

That's all good news. Don will make good use of those parts and him and his sons are good folks, you'll see when you meet them. That was big of you and a good decision to boot.

I've been waiting for an update on this project for a while.

Latest posts

Back